• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You Got One!! Should I Get One?

WalkingWolf

That is a perfect way to describe that fron sight

Well personally I don't care much for adjustable sights on a combat handgun, but as far as looks if I cared, a finely polished and crafted handgun would get my vote for a handgun collection rather than what looks like a plastic toy gun though they function fine and serve the same purpose. Pictures do not do a Hi-Power justice, and has anyone seen the height of the sites on adjustable sited ruger revolvers?

Simple solution buy a handgun with fixed sights. Just decide whether to buy a handgun that will last forever, that has reputation as solid as a mountain, and will only increase in value if well cared for. Or ya can buy a piece of functional plastic. Nothing personal I would take the Hi-Power any day, and twice on Sunday.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I like my Beretta 92. It is mostly metal, and fits most of the criteria other than grip safety. With Mec-Gar 18 round flush fit mags it holds a handful of rounds.

I think it is a good choice to complement a 1911 too. Then you'd have the civilian equivalent of the main handguns that have been used by the military in the last 100 years.

The 96 is the same gun in .40 caliber.

Last edited:

HighFlyingA380

1) LG magazine (10 to 15)
2) Med to LG cal.
3) Durability (does it have a reputation for fireing unexpectedly)
4) LITTLE OR NO PLASTIC ( I used to play with toy guns....)
5) Med to light weight
6) Decock
7) Grip safety
First off, I love my XD. It was my first semi that I bought. I have been shooting guns my whole life, and spent about a year prior to purchasing just shooting different pistols (I'd estimate 1,500-2,000 rounds total). I kept a "diary" of all of them, just to ensure I remembered my thoughts on them. For the price, feel, durability, company reputation, ect, you can't go wrong with the XD. As I mentioned, I shot all manner of Glocks, 1911s, Sigs, FNs, CZ, Berettas, ect, and found the XD40 Service to be the best overall.

1) Standard is 12 (unless CA, then 10), so that fits in there perfectly. There are many aftermarket extended base-plates that can add 4 or so more rounds. There's a 20-rounded you can get (Once I added the +4 base-plate to use when bump-firing. Can't get much more higher capacity than that). I have many of them, and they work flawlessly. I don't OC with them tho; just at the range.
2) .40S&W fits that. I would probably consider it a large pistol caliber (medium if you're looking at calibers in general). Packs more of a punch than the 9mm, but can fit more than the .45. Not gonna resurrect the caliber war here, but the way I see it, if it was a bad round, it wouldn't be so popular.
3) That it is. As someone stated, hence the "X-treme Duty." Can't find it right now, but I stumbled across a blog/website, where they did the Glock torture test, but with at least 5 times as many rounds for every stage. This totaling about 20,000 with almost no cleaning.
4&5) If you don't want plastic, then it's gonna be a heavy gun. Conversely, if you don't want a heavy gun, you're gonna have to have plastic. All I can say is, the XD polymer is extremely tough. On the off chance that a factory round blows it up, or a manufacturing defect caused weak plastic, Springfield will be more than happy to make it right.
6) Why? I personally don't see any reason for these. It is possible for these to fail and render your gun nonoperational. Then all you have is a pretty looking rock. I want the fewest things that can go wrong in a life-and-death scenario. If you're uncomfortable carrying a firearm with a round in the pipe and ready to fire, then frankly, you shouldn't be carrying. These guns are made to not go bang unless you have a proper grip and pull the trigger. Learn how to use your firearm, how it works, and the only safety you will need is your brain.
7) Similar to #6. I don't see a reason for these. At least with grip safeties, you don't need to think about disengaging them. Also, they are almost 100% fail-safe, meaning if they fail, only the safety is affected. The firearm will still operate.

45acpForMe

I'm a SIG & H&K fan but if you can't afford those you might consider an FNH pistol. I have the FNP-45 which has 14/15+1 capacity in 45acp! I think the 40S&W version is 16 rounds but am to tired to look it up right now.

I wanted a higher-normal capacity 45acp gun and the Sig was 8+1 the H&K USP was 12+1 so the FNP-45 wound up being the better capacity overall. The FNH's run around $650 and come with three magazines. I have been running the FNP-45 in some competitions and it has been working great. It also has ambidextrous magazine release and decocker/thumb safety. They come with or without the thumb safety and I have the one without a thumb safety just the decocker. It has a DA/SA trigger and it is similar to the SIG's at around 10/4.5lbs.

I believe DJEEPER (in Hampton) carries a 40S&W XDm and likes it alot so I don't think you can go wrong with an XDm. I admit that the larger capacity of the 40S&W guns was tempting until I shot a few of them. I prefer the recoil from a 45acp pistol. Once I found a higher-normal capacity 45acp gun I stopped looking at smaller calibers. :)

Tanner

I agree about the 45acp. I would probably get the XD in 45 but I have a 1911 in 45 and since my gun collection is non existant right now I kinda whant to get something different. So far I think the XD is winning. for two reasons. Its light and it has the grip safety. The safety is not a must but I just like that its there. Plus is cheap enough that Ill be able to buy another gun soon!:)

WalkingWolf

Beretta has a lame warranty. Get the XD.

Personally if I buy another 45 it will be a Para, but then they are built here in NC. Also I would prefer keeping mags interchangeable. I carry a 38 my bug uses the same ammo. If I carried two semi autos they would use the same magazines with the same ammo. Maybe you should consider a commander.