• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State vs Estep Totality of the Circumstances.

sudden valley gunner

Correct. The reason not to talk to Police is because you can not know what RAS they have is and by this example you may create it by talking or moving. Also you do not have the right to know what the RAS might be. The officer must only articulate it to the court after the fact.

Don't talk to the police.

Some with JD's I have talked to disagree with no reason being needing to be articulated at the scene, without articulated reason you have no reason to cooperate with the detention and what may very well be a false arrest.

The basis I have brought up before that this may be illegal, by the fourth amendment and our state constitution, Article 1 section 7.

Must they formally charge you later and before a judge yes. That is a seperate issue than informing you at the scene why you are being detained.

Either way we see it your way or mine, Absolutely don't talk to cops.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Some with JD's I have talked to disagree with no reason being needing to be articulated at the scene, without articulated reason you have no reason to cooperate with the detention and what may very well be a false arrest.

The basis I have brought up before that this may be illegal, by the fourth amendment and our state constitution, Article 1 section 7.

Must they formally charge you later and before a judge yes. That is a seperate issue than informing you at the scene why you are being detained.

Either way we see it your way or mine, Absolutely don't talk to cops.

That certainly is an argument in the legal field, there just isn't enough stare decis surrounding it to help out the citizen.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
No, not necessarily. Which officer is going to be the next Birk, the next Meade.... due caution is required.

Do you really think if either person in these two situations would have came out any better by refusing to talk to the officer? I don't think so.
You have the idea correct on a officer not officers along with out of how many contacts that have been made be it investigative to an arrest to use of minimal force to deadly force, lets try and keep it in perspective.

OC for ME

Arrest.544.180. An arrest is made by an actual restraint of the person of the defendant, or by his submission to the custody of the officer, under authority of a warrant or otherwise. The officer must inform the defendant by what authority he acts, and must also show the warrant if required.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5440000180.HTM
1. The prudent citizen believes that all cops are bad until the citizen discovers that not all cops are bad....one cop at a time.

2. Do not discuss anything with any cop beyond what is legally required to be discussed.

If you seek the cop out, to consensually contact him, then run your pie-hole all you want. If you did not invite the contact, keep your pie-hole shut. Refer to #1 above.

that kind of guy

LOL...it's not "paranoia" to fear the government and their street soldiers. Act like they are all out to get you is not being paranoid it's being smart.

Agreed. Paranoia is just baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others; or as I like to say, unreasonable fear... do we have reason to fear an officer? I've seen many posts around here to fear that talking to the police could get me in trouble.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2