Thread: What would be a great holster with a sweat guard?

Cool What would be a great holster with a sweat guard?

I have a Taurus PT 24/7 9mm. It's my everyday carry gun here in Kentucky. I have a basic holster that I use for open carry, but I am wanting to get a new holster with a sweat guard. I sweat like a pig in heat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands! ~ Charlton Heston (1923 -- 2008)

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand be faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had a gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass. ~ The Gunfighter’s Prayer

Campaign Veteran
    Well...only crickets chirping here so far so I'll make some noise:

Why don't you "kill 2 birds with one stone" and get a holster made of Kydex?

While my CC ankle-holster is an Uncle Mike's ballistic nylon (no sweating problem with ankle-carry anyway, even here in high-humidity & hot Texas) my OC holster is made of form-fitted-to-gun Kydex (from Comp-Tac online but they're made here in Houston), which I chose not for any sweating/moisture issues but rather, I needed a OC holster to carry a bigger gun in -- namely, my Colt 1911 Government (Series 80) -- when I visit an OC state (like "my" NM). Unfortunately, TX only allows CC. :-(

Still, a Kydex holster IS a "sweat-guard" as well as a holster, so for that particular (moisture) issue you might want to take a look at some in CC or OC versions.

Good luck...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 07-19-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post

While my CC ankle-holster is an Uncle Mike's ballistic nylon (no sweating problem with ankle-carry anyway, even here in high-humidity & hot Texas) my OC holster is made of form-fitted-to-gun Kydex (from Comp-Tac online but they're made here in Houston), which I chose not for any sweating/moisture issues but rather, I needed a OC holster to carry a bigger gun in -- namely, my Colt 1911 Government (Series 80) -- when I visit an OC state (like "my" NM). Unfortunately, TX only allows CC. :-(

Still, a Kydex holster IS a "sweat-guard" as well as a holster, so for that particular (moisture) issue you might want to take a look at some in CC or OC versions.

Good luck...

Thanks for the input!
    I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands! ~ Charlton Heston (1923 -- 2008)

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand be faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had a gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass. ~ The Gunfighter’s Prayer

Well for open carry I usually use duty type holsters, mostly leather. While plastic holsters are plastic if your gun is worn tight against the body it is going to get sweaty unless it has some leather or plastic to seperate the gun from the body. If it is hot and humid you should be wiping your gun down everyday after carrying it, just do it safely.

Our holster uses premium horsehide that acts as a sweat shield and keeps your firearm dry throughout the day. We will be offering free shipping to opencarry.org members during the month of August.

On a side note, I carry a PT145. Taurus makes a great compact gun for concealed carry.
    Cleveland's Holsters, LLC https://clevelandsholsters.com/

"When your life depends on it, you can depend on Cleveland's Holsters!"

Made in Wisconsin with 100% American manufactured materials.

We give away a free holster every month on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cleve...19323708154588

Comfort matters

Stick with leather not kydex for IWB. Horsehide is recommended over cowhide and a t-shirt/wifebeater under the cover garment helps too.

Kydex holster

Quote Originally Posted by mem1977 View Post
    I have a Taurus PT 24/7 9mm. It's my everyday carry gun here in Kentucky. I have a basic holster that I use for open carry, but I am wanting to get a new holster with a sweat guard. I sweat like a pig in heat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kydex holsters are a great option for a sweat proof holster. If you are un-familiar with kydex, its a plastic type material thus making it sweat proof versus a leather holster. A few months ago I ordered a custom kydex holster from L.A.G. Tactical. Their customer service is excellent, i even emailed back and forth with the owner of the company to make sure that my holster was built exactly the way that i wanted it. They provide both IWB and OWB belt loops with every pistol holster, which I think is great, and find that both methods of carry are equally comfortable, so much so that when i go to the post office/bank i often have to run back to my car to take off my gun Anyway they make a great product, check out their site if you want more info, www.lagtactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post

Good luck...
    +1 on the Comp-Tac. I just ordered the Infidel for IWB with a sweat guard.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Quote Originally Posted by mem1977 View Post

mem,

I've researched this at length for myself as well as clients and I have some good and bad news for you; others have touched on what I'm going to say. If you're carrying inside the waist band you're going to have zero options, nothing will provide enough of a sweat guard to keep the firearm from getting moisture contact. I proved this with a Ruger LCP that wound up ruined by a single day of carrying IWB in a leather holster in 100+ temps with 90% humidity; supported by a LEO that carried the same kind of pistol in an ankle holster in the same temps, both guns were ruined (his worse than mine).

For OWB, your best bet may be Kydex. I've found that cow hide leather can transfer leather dye onto your firearm (my Glock EXO has illustrated this) once the leather sweats. Horse hide leather can help limit a lot of that, but it's still leather that can sweat, eventually resulting in more of the same. The disadvantages to Kydex are simple. The first is obvious, it's hard and bulky. The second is that there is no material contacting the firearm that can absorb small amounts of moisture from the firearm. The third is that it tends to sit off from the body compared to leather. The fourth is that Kydex can and does scratch finishes on firearms rather easily. Don't let that be an excuse! You can get some paper thin felt and line the inside of your Kydex holster or you can just ignore it if you're not concerned about carrying a "beauty" piece.

I have a Kydex Serpa OWB holster for a couple of reasons. The first is the added security of the Serpa over other Kydex holsters. The Kydex helps keep me from scuffing leather that I've worn OWB and I like to keep my leather pretty as well as functional....that is unless it's a Crossbreed IWB. Lastly, the Kydex is something I know my firearm won't have dye transfer with and I won't have leather sticking to my firearm if it gets wet in any manner. When I had my Uncle Mikes' Level III retention for my M9 I actually had a team member pick me up off the ground by the grip of my pistol with it locked in the holster, the holster didn't give or budge.
    Last edited by REALteach4u; 09-01-2012 at 12:17 AM.

I went with horsehide on my IWB CrossBreed. It's a bit more expensive but is holding up better than my cowhide Comp Tac.