• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Open Carry Enhance Customer Service?

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
This may just be my own personal observation, so I decided to ask ya'll whether you've had similar experience.

When I got off the day job yesterday, I dropped in at one of the few surviving Blockbuster stores in Colorrado while up in Brighton last evening. There ain't many left, ya know.
Anyhow, I noticed the sales clerks appeared a bit nervous when I walked in sporting my XDm .40 in an OWB holster worn crossdraw.
They looked at me in a manner I thought odd.

After quickly scanning 'new releases' (many of which ain't anything of the sort, btw) I didn't see anything that looked irresistable. I made my way to the front of the store to look at a board they have hanging above the check-out desk. New releases for the week are posted there. While I looked over the titles, a clerk asked "May I help you find anything?" I thanked him but told him I was just checking new release titles for something appealing. It struck me odd that a clerk at that particular location would ask to assist me. I don't recall ever being asked before, and was surprised at the offer to assist now.

It struck me, as I drove home, that I seem to get 'extra special attention' more frequently when visiting businesses or stores while open carrying.
Best Buy, for example, where finding a sales clerk is often similar to Lewis and Clark hunting for the Northwest Passage... often seem to fawn over me.
The same is true of the Verizon store, and a few others. If I am open carrying, I seem to get extra attention with a side of fries.

Has anybody else made that observation? Do customer service people tend to go an extra level of courtesy to armed citizens? Or is it just the expensive hat?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

Hamans-gallows

It struck me, as I drove home, that I seem to get 'extra special attention' more frequently when visiting businesses or stores while open carrying.
Best Buy, for example, where finding a sales clerk is often similar to Lewis and Clark hunting for the Northwest Passage... often seem to fawn over me.
The same is true of the Verizon store, and a few others. If I am open carrying, I seem to get extra attention with a side of fries.

Has anybody else made that observation? Do customer service people tend to go an extra level of courtesy to armed citizens? Or is it just the expensive hat?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

The first time I (nervously) OCed in the bank, I got extra big smiles and an invitation from the Guard to "Come back and see us again real soon."

Last edited:

mahkagari

I'd say it varies. Some increased customer service may be a standard security "bump". I.e. it's hard to be shifty and nefarious when it's been made known to you that everyone sees you a mile away.

Some may be genuine appreciation of LACs. I've gotten this many times. Some may be the "I better be nice to this guy so he doesn't shoot me".

But a lot of it, particularly in your case, M-T, is that when trying to put a positive image on OC, we get on our best behaviour. It's not the sidearm that gets you friendly service, it's the fact that you're doing your damnedest to be a nice guy.

mwaterous

I haven't carried openly long enough to form an educated opinion on the matter... what I do know is that I stopped going to Blockbuster a long time ago when we realized that the new release wall (and thus more expensive wall) had 3-4 year old titles on it. Really? No wonder their business is waning.

Wolfstanus

I work customer service.

It's not always a good thing. If they have people randomly walking up just to you then it's a kind of a way of saying "we are watching you".

Thing to look out for.
Two or more workers talking to each other and one walks up to you and asks if you need help. They are letting you know they are watching.

Another thing is if you seem to keep running into the same person. Generally a manager of some type.

A employee who is watching you through a mirror then walks up to you.

If the employee seems to be doing things out of the norm then chances are they are suspicious of you and are letting you know somthing.

I know these thing because it's part of training in corporate run stores and I have had to do such things to customers.

But sometimes it's like me I'm wanting a closer look at your gun because I'm curious like that. What type is it and what holster you are using. Or we want you to come back because you tend to deter theives.

Last edited:

mahkagari

I should note the difference between "extra attention" and "extra friendly regular attention". More people paying attention to you, like Wolfstanus said, probably keepin' an eye on you. People being friendly and responsive when you approach them first? That's likely something else.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Howdy Folks!

Do customer service people tend to go an extra level of courtesy to armed citizens?

Well when I call my state reps and say I want to talk to them, they don't call back.

When I call them and say I'm just cleaning my gun and have some questions to ask, then they do call back.

Leave it up to you to come to a conclusion.

BOOMcat12B

I have noticed this as well. I have gotten both the curious, the scared, and the "please come back" attitudes. I think that when you carry and folks notice their attitude changes one way or the other. Either way I have learned to just roll with it.

mahkagari

well when i call my state reps and say i want to talk to them, they don't call back.

When i call them and say i'm just cleaning my gun and have some questions to ask, then they do call back.

Leave it up to you to come to a conclusion.

rofl!

nkunnen

I was at walmart a few days ago oc'ing. I had my items at the register. One of the items rang up for what i believed to be the wrong amount. I told the clerk, she responded that the price was right but and instead of the usual price check she gave me a "customer courtesy" and changed the price for me. It seemed out of the norm to me for the walmart i was in, which is not known for its friendly customer service.

Maine Expat

It's the hat, it's always the hat.

Nah, he wore clean shorts for a change. :banana:

Actually I usually get decent to great service for many of the above stated reasons. I'm friendly and outgoing. Though I'm sure some would like to see me going out sooner when I OC. Maybe its my after shave?

I've always said that ya catch more flies with honey.

M-Taliesin

I haven't carried openly long enough to form an educated opinion on the matter... what I do know is that I stopped going to Blockbuster a long time ago when we realized that the new release wall (and thus more expensive wall) had 3-4 year old titles on it. Really? No wonder their business is waning.

Howdy Amigo!
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. "New Releases" shouldn't mean everything that's been released since Custer died!
For heaven's sake.... Blockbuster really needs to get a grip.
And their business ain't just waning, it wain't!

Now they're trying to go up against Redbox with similar machines of their own, and ain't doing that well either.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

I'd say it varies. Some increased customer service may be a standard security "bump". I.e. it's hard to be shifty and nefarious when it's been made known to you that everyone sees you a mile away.

Howdy Mahk!
BINGO!
The majority of folks in public seem to simply accept that I am armed, while customer service people tend to give extra attention that I feel is often intended to help me get what I'm looking for so I can leave sooner.

Anybody who has taken up the challenge of tagging along with me on an OC outing has observed that I tend to be somewhat comedic. No matter where I go, I tend to make people laugh. It is difficult to be fearful while simultaneously laughing. I pride myself on a quick wit and the ability to make people laugh. But enough about my looks.
The majority of customer service folks pay more attention when I am OCing than otherwise. I've had the folks who thank me for promoting 2a, and others who wonder what I'm doing with a handgun. Some are curious, and I take time to chat with them and answer questions in a friendly and neighborly manner. Some are fearful and by the time I get done with them, I believe I've put them at ease (if not outright acceptance) based on the information I impart to them.

I've only had 2 or 3 run screaming, but that was when I hadn't got my hair cut in awhile.
Now I've learned to leave the hat on. Don't want to traumatize the locals!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I have had this experience, but they think I'm a cop and they want to treat the police nice. I suspect that is the primary reason for polite and speedy service.

Others I know have had great service because they wanted to get the guy with the gun out as fast as possible.