• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What should I do about this carry in a bank conversation?

Rev tone92

So here's the deal. I love the site I come here a lot about questions I have and they usually get answered. One of which was is it ok to OC in my bank. I was delighted to find that suntrust was pro gun. Since that day I can say I've OC'd upwards of twenty times or so. So when I went to cash a check a few days ago I was confronted by a man that I presumed worked there. Before now I had come into the bank on a regular basis and chatted it up with the tellers and others there about OC and never had anyone feel threatened at all. Back to the story at hand. The man approached me and said "uhhh sir. Why would you bring that in he branch?" To which I calmly told him I had carried in this branch and other branches with no problems and I do it everywhere I go. He started to walk away while saying uhhhhh ok.... I got the vibe that he wanted to tell me to leave but he wasn't sure he could. He said its company policy to not allow hat in here and asked me to leave it in my car to which I said well if it was policy then it would be written on the door . Which of is not. He then told me that because of policy I have to leave it in my car. Then walked away. I know I made a few mistakes in the situation. I didn't get his name. But my question is what should I do now? If he is the branch manager do I have to abide or if its not actually policy can I just keep going there as I always do? Does anyone know how to go about contacting suntrust to get an official statement? I would hate to have to change banks because of this one man. I love suntrust and their stance on guns. What should I do?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So here's the deal. I love the site I come here a lot about questions I have and they usually get answered. One of which was is it ok to OC in my bank. I was delighted to find that suntrust was pro gun. Since that day I can say I've OC'd upwards of twenty times or so. So when I went to cash a check a few days ago I was confronted by a man that I presumed worked there. Before now I had come into the bank on a regular basis and chatted it up with the tellers and others there about OC and never had anyone feel threatened at all. Back to the story at hand. The man approached me and said "uhhh sir. Why would you bring that in he branch?" To which I calmly told him I had carried in this branch and other branches with no problems and I do it everywhere I go. He started to walk away while saying uhhhhh ok.... I got the vibe that he wanted to tell me to leave but he wasn't sure he could. He said its company policy to not allow hat in here and asked me to leave it in my car to which I said well if it was policy then it would be written on the door . Which of is not. He then told me that because of policy I have to leave it in my car. Then walked away. I know I made a few mistakes in the situation. I didn't get his name. But my question is what should I do now? If he is the branch manager do I have to abide or if its not actually policy can I just keep going there as I always do? Does anyone know how to go about contacting suntrust to get an official statement? I would hate to have to change banks because of this one man. I love suntrust and their stance on guns. What should I do?

Without knowing who he was, there isn't much to advise on. See what happens the next time unless you were ordered to stay out. He could have been the Janitor.

Rev tone92

He was very professionally dressed and when he walked away he went into one of the offices not just a desk like the others. That's why I figured he might be the branch manager. I do plan on OCing there again and if he says anything again I will eget his name and position. Should a enquire about company policy before going back or should I just not worry about it?

wylde007

I know I made a few mistakes in the situation.
This was one of them.
He said its company policy to not allow that in here and asked me to leave it in my car to which I said well if it was policy then it would be written on the door.
Never. Repeat: NEVER recommend that a business put up a sign. Don't even bring it up in candid, passing conversation.

TFred

One thing I've read here and there, which always seems to be a good idea... when you are approached by someone like this, if the conversation gets to a point where it makes sense to do so (it doesn't sound like yours necessarily did), say to the person very directly, "what is it that you are asking me to do?"

That puts them in the position of having to clearly state exactly what it is they are probably just thinking that they want, and it puts them on the record (especially if you are running your voice recorder) with their request. It also can serve as a reminder to the other person that they might not have the authority to ask you do do what it is they wish you would do, in which case the encounter is likely to be over.

YMMV,

TFred

Rev tone92

I admit i made some mistakes in this situation. It took me off guard. I was about to be done with my transaction and i had never been confronted by anyone at this location in the year or so i have been OCing. This is the first confrontation from anyone I've had in some time now. Made me forget that some people have a problem with it...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Have you contacted corporate HQ to find out what their policy is? Explaining that you have been coming in for some time with no problems or complaints by the staff. (This is not the time to mention your most recent encounter.) Explain that you chose to put your funds in their institution because they do honor state law. Give corporate HQ the names of several of the tellers you interact with and suggest that they be contacted to vouch for your behavior while in the bank. A letter is probably the best way to do all this.

I find it very strange that the person "umm-ed" his way through telling you guns were against policy, and even stranger that he then went back to his office and did nothing else. If it were a policy violation I would expect the contact to be a bit more "forceful" and I would expect to be watched to see if I complied with the instruction to leave it in your car. A manager worthy of the name knows how to deal with customers and how to "ask" them to do things like get out. All of this makes me believe this person did not have the authority to say what he said and did not properly state corporate policy.

stay safe.

Rev tone92

I find it very strange that the person "umm-ed" his way through telling you guns were against policy, and even stranger that he then went back to his office and did nothing else.

This is what through me off. From the moment he approached me i could tell he didn't think he could ask me to leave and that anything he wanted me to do was just for his own satisfaction. I just wasn't sure if i should just go back without confirming policy or wait until i have an official word.

nuc65

Activist Member
Request politely a copy of the applicable policy. Don't let someone 'throw' you off in manner or bearing, remain calm and unaffected. Think before you react especially in regards to a verbal encounter.

I had a branch manager (no longer there) at a local bank tell me I couldn't carry there. I asked why he believed this to be true. He started with saying it was against the rules. I asked for him to point me to the stated rule. Then he said it was federal law, to which I replied that it was not but if he would show me the federal law that made it so I would gladly abide by it.

It is like many other 'laws' that people have told me about over the years where they 'think' a law (or rule) about something should exist it does in their mind so therefore it must be real.

MKEgal

My suggestions would be:
* don't change your behavior; keep doing your regular banking there, as usual

* don't wait for it to happen again - contact corporate & express your surprise & displeasure about their employee's actions, trying to tell you that corporate policy forbids the peaceful exercise of protected civil rights by customers.
(There might be an anti-rights policy for employees, & they have to give up their rights as a condition of having a job. This is a common confusion.)
((You might want to have someone proofread your letter or email.))

* if he approaches you again, be sure to write down his name & title (go look at his office door if you have to), and complain to corporate again

* if it turns out to actually be corporate policy to control customers' civil rights, consider a different bank & tell them why they're losing your money

Last edited:

Tanner

I think he went back to his office abruptly to change his undies. If you know its corporate policy to allow OC then OC. The only way I see a way around it for the would be manager is if this were some kind of franchise. But at any given moment they could refuse you service for any reason despite policy. Complain to the right people and you may be well received on your next visit. The most likely answer to why he did what he did is simple. His thought may have been something like this "hey there is a guy with a gun at a bank!" Over reaction on his part to assume that you cant OC at a bank. Ill admit that when I was researching OC I assumed that you couldent carry at a bank because....wel its a BANK! People are conditioned to fear weapons of all kinds through entertainment.

If I may share something I learned as a kid about snakes and spiders. They are more afaid of you than you are of them. This applies to people who confront us with a negative attitude. They dont understand why we do it, so they will invent ways to tell us we cant. Smile real big and polietly tell them to piss off before they get pissed on. There is my $.02

To clarify that last statement was a joke.

scouser

I think he went back to his office abruptly to change his undies. [snip]

That's actually closer to the truth than you think. Basically the guy was full of cr@p, so changing them was his best option. I've never had a problem with Suntrust and firearms.

Is there another branch nearby you could visit until the idiot is corrected? I know if I didn't like the service in the branch a half mile from my home, I'd visit the one 3 miles away when my travels took me near there.

Certainly get his name and job title, you never know, someone on this site may just happen to be married to a Suntrust employee who is held in VERY high regard by VERY high up management in that organization

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
The man approached me and said "uhhh sir. Why would you bring that in he branch?" To which I calmly told him I had carried in this branch and other branches with no problems and I do it everywhere I go. He started to walk away while saying uhhhhh ok.... I got the vibe that he wanted to tell me to leave but he wasn't sure he could. He said its company policy to not allow hat in here and asked me to leave it in my car to which I said well if it was policy then it would be written on the door . Which of is not. He then told me that because of policy I have to leave it in my car. Then walked away.

Please UPLOAD the digitally recorded audio of the encounter so I can advise what I would have said/done.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It has been a few years back, but I spoke to corporate security at Sun Trust headquarters after an assistant manager advised me it was against their policy/rules to carry in their facilities unless I was a law enforcement officer. After 17 years with this bank, I removed my funds and opened an account with First Market Bank, who welcome me while carrying.

I reported the incident, but in that others had not experienced similar difficulty Sun Trust was not put on the unfriendly list.

Rev tone92

I actually had to go back today. I didn't go back in spite i legitimately had to go again... He wasn't there this time and i had no problem what so ever with anyone that was there. I found the corporate office address and i will be sending them a letter. If it happens again with that man I will be going to a branch farther away until someone disciplines him in the ways of the law. I really appreciate the advice given here and hopefully I'll be more prepared the next time someone confronts me. I haven't been confronted in such a long time i forgot my manners! :lol:

OC for ME

It has been a few years back, but I spoke to corporate security at Sun Trust headquarters after an assistant manager advised me it was against their policy/rules to carry in their facilities unless I was a law enforcement officer. After 17 years with this bank, I removed my funds and opened an account with First Market Bank, who welcome me while carrying.

I reported the incident, but in that others had not experienced similar difficulty Sun Trust was not put on the unfriendly list.
After 17 years? Put them on the unfriendly list.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

After 17 years? Put them on the unfriendly list.

They are on my short list - apparently not on an officially approved list though as others keep saying "No problem."

The Wolfhound

Many think there is a law...

In a friendly conversation regarding civilian carry with a Richmond Police officer, he was reasonably certain that banks were off limits. I knew better. It is a common falacy. I helped him correct his point of view. He seems to be one of the good ones in understanding and accepting CC and OC so I believe I really did point him in the right direction. I was OC and he was off duty but the conversation was not at a bank.

riverrat10k

I, too, had an issue at SunTrust.

No problems for a couple of years.

Then was told, on a Saturday, that it was against company policy. The manager that weekend was not the normal branch manager. I think they rotate around on Saturdays.

Anyway, I received a letter from corparate stating that no firearms was the policy. I went back to the bank during the week and almost had the the branch manager in tears as I moved my CD's, checking, savings, and soon, the home equity line, to another institution.

She kept asking me "what can we do to keep your business Mr. X?" I advised her to talk some sense into corporate and moved nearly six figures out of their control. Hell with them.