• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Man, 71, shoots at Robbers!

Ca Patriot

i watched the video, looks like a good shoot. he made some tactical mistakes but he was justified in shooting.

Ca Patriot

Apparently he was using a .380

This brings up a good lesson in the "stopping power" argument.

On one hand he didnt drop or even seriously wound the subjects.

On the other hand, just the mere presence of a gun firing at someone ended the threat and sent the little rats flying out the door.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"...does have a gun license and is not expected to be charged..."

Zimmerman had a gun license and WAS charged.

Same state, and these perps wore hoodies, too.

So - what's the difference???

Last edited:

Medic1210

I think this is awesome. We need to see more videos like this where law abiding, legally armed citizens turn the tables on these thugs. I know they're saying it's likely no charges will be filed, but was he really justified to pursue and shoot the fleeing robbers in the back? By law, isn't your right to use lethal force stopped the moment your target turns and retreats, or as in this case, runs and trips all over each other? In fact, from what I saw, all of his shots were in the back. Of course, if I was in his shoes, I would have waited until the guy turned around before attempting to draw and act. I think the first shot was justified, even if in the back, because he felt others were in danger from the armed perps. But, after the first shot, both perps started high tailing it out of there, and the guy kept chasing and shooting. I hope this doesn't bite him in the rear.

As a side note, I'm also thankful he didn't shoot anybody else. His one-armed shooting while chasing the perps wasn't ideal.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

A bad guy with his back to you can still fire at you. You have a right to use deadly force for as long as you "reasonably fear" for your health and life and those around you.

One difference between this case and the Zimmerman case is Treyvon Martin was not armed and he was not engaged in any criminal activity.

These two ghetto rats were armed and committing a violent robbery.

Martin shouldnt have been killed.

Medic1210

Do you have all the facts? You sound like the rest of the liberal media, trying Zimmerman before the trial. He claims Martin attacked him as he was getting a cell phone to call police, and said he was going to kill him. The fact he was unarmed isn't the end-all deciding factor. If I have a larger, stronger man pinning me on the ground, banging my head on the pavement, saying he's going to kill me, then I would be in fear for my life. I'm not saying Zimmerman is innocent of all wrongdoing, but I'm not going to say Martin shouldn't have been killed. I wasn't there. I don't know all the facts.

As for shooting in the back, yeah, I agree they could have still shot at him. But, this is hard to argue when you're seen chasing two guys running away from you shooting. Everything I've read about legal use of force states that once the threat attempts to withdraw from a situation, it becomes much harder to say they were still a threat.

Ca Patriot

Do you have all the facts? You sound like the rest of the liberal media, trying Zimmerman before the trial.

Are you refering to before or after the fight started ?

It doesnt take a trial or a liberal mentality to see that Martin shouldnt have been killed.

Zimmerman should have never called the police on Martin.

Zimmerman should never had approached or confronted Martin.

Martin was doing nothing illegal and in my opinion nothing suspicious.

Medic1210

Are you refering to before or after the fight started ?

It doesnt take a trial or a liberal mentality to see that Martin shouldnt have been killed.

Zimmerman should have never called the police on Martin.

Martin was doing nothing illegal and in my opinion nothing suspicious.

I guess we just gotta agree to disagree. I think Zimmerman was right for calling when he saw someone running between people's houses in the rain one night. If I see some guy I don't recognize running through my neighbors' yard at night, I'm gonna call the cops. What I don't agree with, is when Zimmerman felt the need to get out of his vehicle to pursue Martin. I fully feel the only reason he felt ballsy enough to get out of his car was because he had a pistol in his pants. But that is speculation, and I have no way of proving that. Yeah, we know now that Martin wasn't doing anything illegal, and supposedly had a valid reason for being inside that gated community. It's a bad deal all the way around.

All that being said, if I ever have a 6'3" lean, muscled guy pinning me down, bashing my head on the ground, telling me he's gonna kill me, he's getting shot. I am not a trained fighter, and I will not wait until I'm unconscious before acting in self defense. Did Zimmerman bring this confrontation on? Looks that way. Did Zimmerman try to retreat, and Martin pursue and attack him? Don't know. He says this is what happened, but there are no witnesses to what really happened other than Zimmerman and the man he killed.

since9

Campaign Veteran
One difference between this case and the Zimmerman case is Treyvon Martin was not armed and he was not engaged in any criminal activity.

He most certainly was engaged in criminal activity - violent assault against Zimmerman. In many states, repeatedly slamming someone's head into concrete constitutes attempted murder. Is that criminal enough for you?

Florida State law authorizes the use of deadly force in Zimmerman's situation. Zimmerman never would have been charged if Sharpton and Jackson hadn't opened their yaps to increase their exposure and jump-start their donation gravy train. Even then, it took Holder overstepping the bounds of his authority and sticking his nose into Florida's STATE business before the left-wing state attorney overturned the local justice system's finding that they could not legally press charges given the nature of the circumstances.

Florida state still can't legally press charges. That they're doing so anyway is testimony as to how ridiculously over-politicized this issue has become.

jbone

Really? You know there is an eye witness that will testify otherwise.
The 28-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer said that when he got out of his car, Martin approached him suddenly. Zimmerman reached into his pocket to call 911 for a second time and Martin punched him in the face, breaking his nose. In the ensuing struggle, Zimmerman claims he heard the teenager say, "you’re going to die tonight." http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/07/18/george_zimmerman_interview_fox_news_sean_hannity_lands_first_interview_with_trayvon_martin_shooter_.html
when Trayvon approached him from the left rear, and they exchanged words.
Trayvon asked Zimmerman if he had a problem. Zimmerman said no and reached for his cell phone, he told police.
Trayvon then said, "Well, you do now," or something similar and punched Zimmerman in the nose.
Zimmerman fell to the ground and Trayvon got on top of him and began slamming his head into the sidewalk, he told police.http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-26/politics/31238883_1_gap-suv-dispatch

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Whether or not this is true, is has no bearing whatsoever on the shooting.
There are tons of examples of legal things people shouldn't do or places people shouldn't go. But these do not strip anyone of their right to defend themselves.

Maybe I shouldn't go knocking on a door of a know gang member to sell girl scout cookies... but if he comes to the door and decides to bash my head in I will still try to survive. And that should not be a crime.

CaptainHoneySmacks

To me, there was only one problem with the Zimmerman case. It was not about morals, right or wrong. It was the media stirring up trouble, as if it needed a catalyst at all. They manipulated the facts and played on peoples emotions to put Zimmerman on the cross before ANY evidence what-so-ever was presented. Hell, when I first saw the case I thought it was a black little boy who had been jumped and shot by a white guy over his race. It scares me how easily information can be skewed to misinform and how much power the media holds. So many people will believe anything the media says without one shred of evidence. We are a nation easily fooled by propaganda.

On to the old man now.. One epic fella. Leave it to an old man to take care of business. Would of been much better if he had shouted "GET OFF MY LAWN" to get their attention. Reminds me of epic beard guy a little bit. Guess hoodlums are not as cool as they think they are when someone else has a gun.

Ca Patriot

I supposed smashing someone's head against the concrete ain't nothin' illegal, eh? BRB, got some heads to smash. :lol:

Learn to read. I said he was doing nothing illegal or suspicious to warrant the call to police and for Zimmerman to confront him.

I know this board is full of keyboard commandos who like to think they can save the neeighboorhood with their gun, but Zimmerman is a great example of why you shouldnt.

Do any of you guys have $350,000 burning a hole in your pocket for legal fees ?

Do you have a month or two to spend in solitary confinement in jail ?

Do you have the next 2-3 years of your life to dedicate to staying out of jail for the next 20 years ?

If so, then by all means call the police if you see someone walking down a street a night. If thats not good enough, get your gun and go chase after him. If thats still not good enough, jump out of your car and confront him.

You can sleep well at night knowing that you protected your family and your neighboorhood from..........nothing.

Jack House

You stated "Martin shouldn't have been killed [...] he was doing nothing illegal"

You're right, he was doing nothing illegal, until he started doing something illegal. Sure, Zimmerman didn't have to call the police, or follow Martin. But neither of which is illegal, Martin didn't have to assault Zimmerman, which is illegal. Martin is the only one to blame for Martin's death.

twoskinsonemanns

Learn to read. I said he was doing nothing illegal or suspicious to warrant the call to police and for Zimmerman to confront him.

I know this board is full of keyboard commandos who like to think they can save the neeighboorhood with their gun, but Zimmerman is a great example of why you shouldnt.

Do any of you guys have $350,000 burning a hole in your pocket for legal fees ?

Do you have a month or two to spend in solitary confinement in jail ?

Do you have the next 2-3 years of your life to dedicate to staying out of jail for the next 20 years ?

If so, then by all means call the police if you see someone walking down a street a night. If thats not good enough, get your gun and go chase after him. If thats still not good enough, jump out of your car and confront him.

You can sleep well at night knowing that you protected your family and your neighboorhood from..........nothing.

This is good advice. If you see some one skulking around your neighbors house possible looking to rob or rape someone go back inside and lock the doors and pop the cork on a bottle of wine. It's not your problem........ The american way baby!