• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about dog attack.

tcox4freedom

As someone who has worked & owned the so-called vicious breeds most of his life, I would say most people are not qualified to know when a true attack is happening. 99.9% of most dog barking and/or charging in either warning or pure BLUFF. As long as you stand your ground, don't run & do NOT make any aggressive movements yourself you should be fine.

For true attacks, pepper spray usually works GREAT. The one noted and IMPORTANT exception I would make would be in a multiple dog or "PACK" attack. In this case you really should be prepared to shoot the pack leaders.

-

mwaterous

I don't blame you, you've probably been bombarded with this stuff your whole life. I would guess you have an aversion to hunting? What about killing rodents that keep eating your crops? What about squirrels that like to chew on rubber hoses on SUVs? What about rats? Roaches?
Does the lif-is-a-life drivel apply to spiders or only cute living things?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had something to prove. I'll assist.

No, I have not been bombarded with this stuff my entire life, unless you consider being raised with a respect for all living things as "bombarded".

I have absolutely no aversion to hunting. I would prefer to hunt and farm then to buy from a supermarket if I could switch 100%.

Not a darn thing wrong with handling pests. If I have a large pest I can trap and remove, I will. If I have a plague, I will take any means necessary up to and including lethal force.

You bet that "drivel" applies to spiders. Spiders help keep pests down, so they deserve to survive as well. I don't even like it when I feed roaches to my reptiles, but I accept that it's what they were raised for.

Anything else that will aid you in measuring your...?

Last edited:

carolina guy

thankfully

We now have our entire property fenced with a locked gate on the driveway. NC has some stupid laws making the shooting of a dog illegal unless it is by a police officer or in self-defense. BUT, within the fenced yard, the dog is dead legally...same as a home invasion.

Not that I am looking to shoot someone's pet, but if we are out in the yard and a dog intrudes, there is NO chance the dog will survive with my 4 children playing in the area.

There have been numerous situations with me and the wife walking of a dog charging, and it usually just takes standing my ground, put the wife behind me, raising the maglite, a loud deep shout and and being completely ready to club the dog. Never had a problem further than that. (fingers crossed) But, now with OC, the 9mm will be in the other hand. :)

mwaterous

That's another angle on the situation; I'd shoot anything, including a unicorn, if it was threatening children. Bam. Right below the horn. But I wouldn't shoot it if it was barking from the other side of a fence, and that's the difference I was trying to make earlier. Just be sure it's a threat. It's really not that much of a threat to your masculinity to do so.

twoskinsonemanns

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had something to prove.
Anything else that will aid you in measuring your...?

Nothing to prove. I just enjoy reading people's absurd stammering explanations about how a tick's life is just an important as mine.
It's usually good for a laugh. Thanks, you did not disappoint. :banana:

Interesting you prefer to hunt. Make sure you give pulling the trigger on a deer the same consideration as if were a person...

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I am an avid hunter, and I am also an avid conservationist. I will only kill what I will eat, but at the same time I also hunt for sport. I will not kill an animal unless it is a mature animal or one that is injured. If I had to kill to feed my family then I would not give preference, but since that is not the case, I can. I do what I can to maintain healthy animals around my property, and I respect the animals and I am thankful they were put here for our consumption and well being.

Hunters are the number one contributor to wildlife conservation, and this is something the animal "rights" people have a hard time with. It is not only hunters, but also shooters and fisherman who purchase guns, ammo, and fishing gear and contribute to the cause. PETA is just another government group designed to destroy all of our founding beliefs and activities, just like the Brady Bunch. The folks at PETA can say they do this and that and are so good for the animals, but when it comes down to it sportsmen are the real protectors of wild animals.

flb_78

I don't think anyone is talking about shooting a barking dog through a fence.

I would bet that most are talking about an aggressive dog that has come onto their property or being confronted by an aggressive dog while out walking, at the park, etc...

CharleyCherokee

Nothing to prove. I just enjoy reading people's absurd stammering explanations about how a tick's life is just an important as mine.
It's usually good for a laugh. Thanks, you did not disappoint. :banana:

Interesting you prefer to hunt. Make sure you give pulling the trigger on a deer the same consideration as if were a person...

You come across as rather antagonistic and arrogant. At no time was it said that an animal's life is as valuable as a human life. However, what was stated was that ALL life is valuable and as such consideration should be given before taking it rather than killing as if you were throwing a snotty tissue into the trash. I agree with the assertion. There are many honorable and altruistic people that feel that way.

twoskinsonemanns

At no time was it said that an animal's life is as valuable as a human life. However, what was stated was that ALL life is valuable and as such consideration should be given before taking it

It was obviously implied:
shooting a dog or any animal really ought to be given the same consideration as shooting a person
A life is a life, and arrogance has no place in responsibility. If you think there comes a level where you don't have to give pulling the trigger the exact same consideration as any other time, then please by all means, sell your guns.

You come across as rather antagonistic and arrogant............... ALL life is valuable

Yes all life is valuable. The problem with your type is you believe all life has the SAME value. What causes you to believe that? I wish I knew. It is part of the the steady and inevitable decline in the human evolution. It is the human race growing weak and stupid. Imagine a world where on one street the government uses stolen taxes from profitable citizens to care for a surplus of unneeded animals while human children starve on the next street over. And why does this happen? Because idiots look into the eyes of a dog and feel a completely fabricated sense of love which they cannot gain from others of their own species. It's completely ignorant, and unnatural.

So call me arrogant if you want but the question of whether you thought the same consideration should be given for shooting a dog as a human was never asked in the OP. The only question was the legality of shooting an attacking dog. You guys decided to bring up your animal rights agenda. :

Where does the law stand on someone who is carrying and gets attacked by a dog inside city limits? Are you allowed to shoot the dog?

PS. Go ahead keep it up. Each time you post some wacko animals-are-the-same-as-people crap I'm gonna kick my dog! :lol:

P95

Where does the law stand on someone who is carrying and gets attacked by a dog inside city limits? Are you allowed to shoot the dog?
I run a lot...that lends to dog attacks. I had trouble with one particular mutt at one house I passed. Talked to the local LEO....he said if it comes into the road and bearing teeth in a threatening way....shoot it on the spot. No more problems.

mwaterous

Yes all life is valuable. The problem with your type is you believe all life has the SAME value. What causes you to believe that? I wish I knew. It is part of the the steady and inevitable decline in the human evolution. It is the human race growing weak and stupid. Imagine a world where on one street the government uses stolen taxes from profitable citizens to care for a surplus of unneeded animals while human children starve on the next street over. And why does this happen? Because idiots look into the eyes of a dog and feel a completely fabricated sense of love which they cannot gain from others of their own species. It's completely ignorant, and unnatural.

Omgosh, you've opened my eyes. It's because of the ASPCA that we're unable to save the poor needy children. It definitely has nothing to do with the fact that there are more parents now a days who enjoy their kids as accessories, more younger parents who never wanted to have kids in the first place and make it very obvious to their own kids that they have nothing but disdain for them... it's your dogs fault that that child was dropped off at Wal-mart to wander for three hours while mommy went to the club to meet up with (a) daddy (of four, from three mothers).

Greed, corruption, and arrogance... none of these things are what's wrong. It's people who are unwilling to shoot your dog! Shucks, if only I had seen this years ago.

twoskinsonemanns

Well since mwaterous is having pains in agreeing with me on separate issues in a separate thread I would like to end this on a semi positive note. I'll concede that you think I'm arrogant if you'll concede that I think people who think a dog's life is as important as their children's are whack-jobs.

And just for the record I would NOT kick my dog to punish you :lol:

I really like my dog. He is a valued tool that barks to warn of non-family members on the property. He also makes my son feel safe at night. I value these things. I try to take care of him like I take care of my other tools such as a valued rifle. I'm not in love with him. I wouldn't blink an eye to rid myself of him if the circumstances dictated it. I did sell a Glock 19 that I still have regrets about though... It was a lot more costly to replace then my dog I got from the shelter. :D