• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts on Self-Defense Shootings

SFCRetired

The incident with the senior citizen shooting the two thugs in Florida brought several things to my mind:

1. In a situation like his, what is the likelihood of a civil suit being filed against him by either the perp he shot or one of the other customers? I'm not familiar with Florida law, but I am pretty sure Alabama law would preclude the perp filing a civil suit. My basis for asking about the possibility of another customer suing is someone deciding that their hearing and/or emotional state was disturbed by the event.

2. We've all read stories of justified shoots in other states where the LAC got raked over the legal coals by the local prosecutor. The thought occurs to me that this is one of the tactics to make the individual citizen more dependent upon the government. Which leads to #3.

3. If citizens can be discouraged from providing for their own defense, this provides an excuse for even bigger government, more taxes, and less freedom. It also provides a rationale for removing firearms from private ownership, "You don't need this to defend yourself. We now have enough police to defend you without you taking matters into your own hands."

Am I just a fuzzy-thinking old man or does anyone else think these thoughts have any merit?

Beretta92FSLady

The incident with the senior citizen shooting the two thugs in Florida brought several things to my mind:

1. In a situation like his, what is the likelihood of a civil suit being filed against him by either the perp he shot or one of the other customers? I'm not familiar with Florida law, but I am pretty sure Alabama law would preclude the perp filing a civil suit. My basis for asking about the possibility of another customer suing is someone deciding that their hearing and/or emotional state was disturbed by the event.

Apparently, in Washington State, even if you shoot a person in self-defense, you can be sued. I was told, post shooting, that I will likely find myself being sued by the man I had shot. It has been a number of years, and not a peep. I don't see an attorney taking on a fight like that unless they have money in their pocket, first...lots of money.-

2. We've all read stories of justified shoots in other states where the LAC got raked over the legal coals by the local prosecutor. The thought occurs to me that this is one of the tactics to make the individual citizen more dependent upon the government. Which leads to #3.

Have you ever reade about a justified shoot coming back as a win in civil court by the perp who was shot? I haven't reade anything. Yea, there are things here, and there regarding freak occurrences, but those are rare enough to still shoot to defend yourself. Then again, would you rather lose your life, or lose your fancy house or fancy car?

3. If citizens can be discouraged from providing for their own defense, this provides an excuse for even bigger government, more taxes, and less freedom. It also provides a rationale for removing firearms from private ownership, "You don't need this to defend yourself. We now have enough police to defend you without you taking matters into your own hands."

Republicans are the ones who don't want there to be public defenders for individuals charged with crimes. There will never be enough police to warrant no longer needing to defend your life.

Am I just a fuzzy-thinking old man or does anyone else think these thoughts have any merit?

Nice thoughts.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Have you ever reade about a justified shoot coming back as a win in civil court by the perp who was shot?

I would think the best examples of these are when cops shoot suspects. They are cleared by their administrative charges and criminal charges but are then found at fault by a civil court.

I think that there are many examples.

But also consider that a trial generally will cost between $40K-$100K in a civil trial, take 2-6 yrs and generally be a headache for a long time to a defendant.

I imagine that there is insurance to cover such circumstances. Its a good aspect to examine, I'll start a new thread for this inquiry.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rance-for-legal-issues-involved-with-carrying

Last edited:

OC for ME

Justification as an absolute defense, when. 563.074. 1. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 563.016, a person who uses force as described in sections 563.031, 563.041, 563.046, 563.051, 563.056, and 563.061 is justified in using such force and such fact shall be an absolute defense to criminal prosecution or civil liability.
2. The court shall award attorney's fees, court costs, and all reasonable expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant has an absolute defense as provided in subsection 1 of this section.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c563.htm
I think a cop would enjoy the same protections as a citizen except that a cop likely has 'city/union' paid insurance, unlike a citizen, to cover the costs of a civil defense. The other states may be different.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think a cop would enjoy the same protections as a citizen except that a cop likely has 'city/union' paid insurance, unlike a citizen, to cover the costs of a civil defense. The other states may be different.

Most states have laws where the cop would be liable for the costs (42 USC 1983 case) until a verdict is decided; then the town or state decides if they want to cover these costs. If union contracts cover the cop's out of pocket expenses are likely contact to contract specific for the time period of the case being active.