Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Henrico County Muscling out gun store - Zombie Defense - victim of rezoning

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892

    Henrico County Muscling out gun store - Zombie Defense - victim of rezoning

    Henrico County is muscling out Zombie Defense. They are rezoning him out of his store. Someone complained about him, he's there maybe 20 hours a week and has a tiny store. He's mostly by appointment and doesn't keep a lot of stock. I asked if he notified VCDL and he said the county made their mind up. They had a vote on it. I had no idea there was a meeting. Just another example of our rights being withered away quietly.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cincy area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    891
    From what you describe that sounds like a shame. But I gotta also say it must be middle age is here to stay in my life--can't imagine ever taking a store called 'Zombie Defense' seriously enough to shop there.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892
    He sells stripped lowers and AR parts for those who like to make custom builds. I have never seen him with a complete rifle. He also has gunbroker customers that use his FFL.


    In response to his silly name, he capitalized on a silly fad to make money. Good for him, true to the American entrepreneurial spirit. I think he should have let VCDL know so we could have shown up and supported him. He wasn't hearing what I was telling him about what VCDL can do to help him. His response was the county had made up their mind. Seems like an okay guy, but if he doesn't want to recognize what VCDL can bring to the table, his loss.


    http://www.zombie-defense.com/contact.html
    Last edited by T Dubya; 07-18-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614
    Presuming that he has a properly issued business license, I do not think it is legal to rezone his business out of existence.

    He needs advice and assistance and quickly too.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Presuming that he has a properly issued business license, I do not think it is legal to rezone his business out of existence.

    He needs advice and assistance and quickly too.
    He's not listening to me Grape. We should have been in that meeting. VCDL should have been made aware. The county is rezoning so that he has to leave and whatever location he picks will have to be approved. It's wrong, it's dirty tricks.

    I also hear that Colonial Shooting Academy is coming under attack. The antis are operating below the radar and they need to be stopped ASAP.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    He's not listening to me Grape. We should have been in that meeting. VCDL should have been made aware. The county is rezoning so that he has to leave and whatever location he picks will have to be approved. It's wrong, it's dirty tricks.

    I also hear that Colonial Shooting Academy is coming under attack. The antis are operating below the radar and they need to be stopped ASAP.
    What meeting though.
    First it has to come before zoning then it has to come before the BOS before it's final. There is also an appeal period.

    If he isn't listening, what good is VCDL, assuming they chose to involve themselves in, do?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Heart of Appalachia
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    <snip>...can't imagine ever taking a store called 'Zombie Defense' seriously enough to shop there.
    I had the same reaction when Hornady came out with their Zombie Max ammo.

    But they didn't ask my opinion and it hasn't been discontinued so apparently it's selling OK. Guess a lot of gun owners aren't put off by the name.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    What meeting though.
    First it has to come before zoning then it has to come before the BOS before it's final. There is also an appeal period.

    If he isn't listening, what good is VCDL, assuming they chose to involve themselves in, do?
    Members showing up to the council meetings that make the decision is a first step. I don't know what the zoning laws are and what recourse he has, but it behooves us to pay attention as to how the county can legally kick out a dealer.

    Whether he wants our help or not this is bad.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    Members showing up to the council meetings that make the decision is a first step. I don't know what the zoning laws are and what recourse he has, but it behooves us to pay attention as to how the county can legally kick out a dealer.

    Whether he wants our help or not this is bad.
    It's worse than you think. No zoning....no FFL. There may be a grace period but I expect he'll have to reapply.

  10. #10
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    Interesting. Took a quick look and it appears that area is an "enterprise zone" where tax base development is encouraged. Zoning is currentlyB2-C. May look up "by right" uses in this zoning, and try to find the case. Backs up to R-3 single family residential.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    He's not listening to me Grape. We should have been in that meeting. VCDL should have been made aware. The county is rezoning so that he has to leave and whatever location he picks will have to be approved. It's wrong, it's dirty tricks.

    I also hear that Colonial Shooting Academy is coming under attack. The antis are operating below the radar and they need to be stopped ASAP.
    there's a huge differene between zombie defense and CSA. the little guy in zombie defense may need some help. the ownership of CSA is affluent and influential enough in henrico politics to pretty much fight their own battles. unlike other such enterprises i don't remember the need for too much support at BOS/planning commision meetings to get CSA open, they pretty much put in their application and were approved.

  12. #12
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    It's worse than you think. No zoning....no FFL. There may be a grace period but I expect he'll have to reapply.
    nay, me thinks he can put in for a change of address and w/an explaination of the circumstances and depending where he moves 'might' have to go through another ATF visit...if he moves to his residence he might get some eyebrows raised w/ATF but again w/explaination of the circumstances they should be understanding especially if it is a temporary relocation! but keep in mind the ATF has their own perspective of the world and perhaps a different set of guidelines per se!!

    wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    but keep in mind the ATF has their own perspective of the world and perhaps a different set of guidelines per se!!

    wabbit
    I remember all to well

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614
    Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    there's a huge differene between zombie defense and CSA. the little guy in zombie defense may need some help. the ownership of CSA is affluent and influential enough in henrico politics to pretty much fight their own battles. unlike other such enterprises i don't remember the need for too much support at BOS/planning commision meetings to get CSA open, they pretty much put in their application and were approved.
    Favoritism? Good ol' boy network? Insider deals? Come on this is 2012!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    I'm still not sure where we're going with this TD.

    The guy doesn't want help. I don't know if the zoning hearings are complete.

    VCDL can't be expected to watch every zoning application in every locality in the state, to see if it concerns gun owners and even if they did....I haven't figured where it stands on what subjects. That seems like a pinball bouncing from peg to peg.

    Lobbying on a local level seems to be left to individual members to identify and organize opposition/support for.

    What do you propose we do about this?

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    What do you propose we do about this?
    Not much you can do when someone brushes off an offer of assistance.

    I was not aware of this guy, but will be checking out his business only for the purpose of steering some folks towards it to see if there are any Going Out Of Business bargains to be picked up. It's a shame to be losing a receiving FFL, even if I never used him.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961
    If he is building custom rifles then we are talking about a manufacturers FFL, not a dealers FFL (All manufacturers are also dealers in ATFs world).

    Opening back up might be more difficult for a manufacturer. There are alot of issues for manufacturers.

    If he doesn't want help, I don't know what we can do except find the zoning board minutes and see if there were blatent anti-firearms shenanigans going on at the meeting.

    Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  18. #18
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    Started looking around the Henrico website for this "rezoning" but did not find it easily. If someone really wants to know what is up, message back and I will find out what the dealio is.

    riverrat

    eta: there is a 2012 rezoning case that I can't get info on yet, may have just happened in the last few days. It is not coming up on-line even for county employees so must be very recent.

    B2-C zoning is B-2 zoning with conditions. Zoning here was changed in 1989 from B-1 to B2-C. The conditions excluded a few types of businesses but nothing about firearms.

    B-2 zoning allows gun shops. Unless someone else is in the know, am interested in what it was rezoned to, or if additional conditions were placed on the property through the zoning process. Was there mention above that this action was due to residents complaints? If so, this could be abuse of the zoning laws.
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 07-19-2012 at 02:46 PM.

  19. #19
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    Started looking around the Henrico website for this "rezoning" but did not find it easily. If someone really wants to know what is up, message back and I will find out what the dealio is.

    riverrat
    Thanks RR but almost every day I get calls or emails from people that have a problem and are worried about. In this case, if he ain't concerned, neither am I.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-19-2012 at 02:18 PM.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    Started looking around the Henrico website for this "rezoning" but did not find it easily. If someone really wants to know what is up, message back and I will find out what the dealio is.

    riverrat

    eta: there is a 2012 rezoning case that I can't get info on yet, may have just happened in the last few days. It is not coming up on-line even for county employees so must be very recent.

    B2-C zoning is B-2 zoning with conditions. Zoning here was changed in 1989 from B-1 to B2-C. The conditions excluded a few types of businesses but nothing about firearms.

    B-2 zoning allows gun shops. Unless someone else is in the know, am interested in what it was rezoned to, or if additional conditions were placed on the property through the zoning process. Was there mention above that this action was due to residents complaints? If so, this could be abuse of the zoning laws.
    There were complaints about the shop. Strange since the shop is very incognito with very little traffic and open for only a few hours a week. Also he has been audited. Not just by the county, but there was a formal request for him to be audited by BATFE.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I'm still not sure where we're going with this TD.

    The guy doesn't want help. I don't know if the zoning hearings are complete.

    VCDL can't be expected to watch every zoning application in every locality in the state, to see if it concerns gun owners and even if they did....I haven't figured where it stands on what subjects. That seems like a pinball bouncing from peg to peg.

    Lobbying on a local level seems to be left to individual members to identify and organize opposition/support for.

    What do you propose we do about this?
    Right now we're doing it. River rat is doing a good job looking up the zoning and finding out what the deal is. I believe (as do others) that what is happening to Zombie Defense if true is pertinent to our liberties. If he wanted our help then we could show up to a supervisors meeting and have our voices heard. Even though He doesn't seem to want our help we need to understand just what the heck transpired.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  22. #22
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    Right now we're doing it. River rat is doing a good job looking up the zoning and finding out what the deal is. I believe (as do others) that what is happening to Zombie Defense if true is pertinent to our liberties. If he wanted our help then we could show up to a supervisors meeting and have our voices heard. Even though He doesn't seem to want our help we need to understand just what the heck transpired.
    This is not a new situation TD.
    Henrico has driven selected shops out for at least 30 years (as far back as I've been in the area)

    Before the zoning dodge, they required purchase permits and if the shop didn't get them, they were closed down.

    Richmond did the same thing.

    Without the owners active cooperation, nothing will change.

    Maybe you can get PVC in on it, good luck with that, and even then, there is nothing to challenge without an interested party.

    One other thing to be aware of, if the ATF got a formal request to audit and did it, it's because the PD asked for it.
    Now if he was doing anything illegal, Henrico would have tagged him themselves. That means he wouldn't discount his parts to the officers. I had the same problems with them when I was an FFL and finally I quit selling to anyone and just did gunsmithing work.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-19-2012 at 05:23 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    I thought I posted this earlier, but either I messed up or got moderated.

    Henrico County has a link on their website to "complain about zoning violations".

    "If a neighbor is operating a home-based business, how do I report what I believe is a residential zoning violation?
    Whether or not there is a violation will depend on the individual neighborhood zoning and on the type of business being operated out of the home. Each complaint is viewed on a case-by-case basis. An inspector will visit the site to determine if there are any violations. You can call Community Maintenance at (804) 501-4757, to register a complaint or ask a question".

    I went to the guys web site. He has a short video that, apparently, shows about 5 seconds of full auto fire. The home page of his site shows a customized lower with a selector swith of safe-fire-frenzy.

    Perhaps the volume of Class III sales has flagged the Bureau Allowing Taking Firearms to Escondido.

  24. #24
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    t dubya said: Even though He doesn't seem to want our help we need to understand just what the heck transpired.

    Yeah, in my missing post I mentioned that I have professional interest. Gotta know who and what I'm dealing with to put my daily bread on the table!

  25. #25
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    Peter said
    snip

    One other thing to be aware of, if the ATF got a formal request to audit and did it, it's because the PD asked for it.
    Now if he was doing anything illegal, Henrico would have tagged him themselves. That means he wouldn't discount his parts to the officers. I had the same problems with them when I was an FFL and finally I quit selling to anyone and just did gunsmithing work.[/QUOTE]i

    That is very depressing to see in print. Thanks a bunch, Peter. Guess it has always been that way though as far as pushing a business out. Thinking of adult clubs, places like "The Block" in Baltimore, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •