Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What the heck happened at Straight Shooters in Colonial Heights today?????

What the heck happened at Straight Shooters in Colonial Heights today?????

I heard something. Don't know if it's true.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Have no clue - nothing on the grapevine.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Sounds like a suicide... bizarre, I remember reading a while back that some ranges refuse to rent guns to single customers... apparently that is what happened here.

http://wtvr.com/2012/07/18/man-dead-...hooting-range/

TFred

Glock is the first thing that comes to mind.....sorry Glock guys.

According to the second report, they found him shot when they went out to tell him they were closing? I know at the ranges I go to, even if I'm the only one on the line, there's someone watching me - either in person or by video feed.

The Anti's are going to be all over this one

If someone has a psych history that would bar them from buying a gun from an FFL that wouldn't bar them renting a gun.

This is one reason I don't shoot at such places.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    If someone has a psych history that would bar them from buying a gun from an FFL that wouldn't bar them renting a gun.

This is one reason I don't shoot at such places.
    Didn't you read a few posts up?
    It was the Glock! It attacked him for his resins.

And yeah...Paramedic is right. The ant's will have a field day.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-19-2012 at 04:13 PM.

You know, I never thought about it... I guess there is no requirement for a shooting range to do a background check before renting a gun to a customer to shoot on the premesis. I suppose the thought is that they can't take the gun with them... but that brings us back to what does "possess" mean?

As far as I understood it, if you are disqualified, that would apply to renting a gun at a shooting range as well.

One small good thing, if the antis go all out fighting to implement some sort of a background check for range rentals, that's all the less time they'll have to work on something more egregious.

TFred

According to the articles I'v read, the fellow who committed suicide at the range was in military uniform. Hence, it's doubtful a background check would have disqualified him from obtaining a gun. The sad fact is that this mode of suicide at public ranges renting guns is not all that uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    According to the articles I'v read, the fellow who committed suicide at the range was in military uniform. Hence, it's doubtful a background check would have disqualified him from obtaining a gun. The sad fact is that this mode of suicide at public ranges renting guns is not all that uncommon.
    Yea any one remember a while back a mother took her kid to a rental range and shot and killed him then killed herself. Maby there should be a 1 time check for each range. Maby could save a life since the previously mentioned regularity of this is pretty true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    . Maby there should be a 1 time check for each range. Maby could save a life since the previously mentioned regularity of this is pretty true.
    Are you kidding me Tanner

Quote Originally Posted by
    Maybe there should be a 1 time check for each range. Maybe could save a life since the previously mentioned regularity of this is pretty true.

Did I actually see someone blaming a type of firearm rather than the fool in control of it?
    Sure and we should add ropes, household cleaners, swimming pools, bath tubs, steak knives, cars, smokes, booze, heavy equipment, bikes, dogs, video games, butter... etc... The list of things folks have available to them that they can use to take their life is endless...
    "The Second Amendment similarly appears to contain an express limitation on the government's authority. If the Second Amendment is read to confer a personal right to 'keep and bear arms,' a colorable argument exists that the Federal Government's regulatory scheme, at least as it pertains to possession of firearms, runs afoul of that amendment's protections" (U.S. v. Printz, 1997) ~Clarence Thomas (SPJ)

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Are you kidding me Tanner
    Yea HA HA HA!

But really its just a though. Im not advocating for stricter gunlaw or running in the streets saying guns should be band. GET OVER IT

Should mention that this post is all sarcasim. But will defent my right to have a bad idea.

Yea HA HA HA!

But really its just a though. Im not advocating for stricter gunlaw or running in the streets saying guns should be band. GET OVER IT

Should mention that this post is all sarcasim. But will defent my right to have a bad idea.
    You'd better be careful!
    You're still on probation and still have THOSE TAGS . Your Visa could be revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Did I actually see someone blaming a type of firearm rather than the fool in control of it?
    Sure and we should add ropes, household cleaners, swimming pools, bath tubs, steak knives, cars, smokes, booze, heavy equipment, bikes, dogs, video games, butter... etc... The list of things folks have available to them that they can use to take their life is endless...
    when did I say anything about a type of firearm? and yea we could kill ourself with any thing. When people do these things it overall hurts the public on firearms. I rather some one fall on a chainsaw that use a gun.....
    not to many antis agains chainsaws.

You'd better be careful!
    You're still on probation and still have THOSE TAGS . Your Visa could be revoked.
    can i get in trouble for having NY tags while the car is in NY? This is kinda a serious question, but I dont see how its a offence. When we get back the sameday we will have VA tags on our blazer. The mustang is staying in NY.

can i get in trouble for having NY tags while the car is in NY? This is kinda a serious question, but I dont see how its a offence. When we get back the sameday we will have VA tags on our blazer. The mustang is staying in NY.
    If I remember correctly, you have 30 days once you move to VA to get your car registered here and your licence changed to a VA DL

No, you won't get in trouble for that....but you could get in trouble for being from NY and making subversive suggestions.

Founder's Club Member longwatch's Avatar
    Yea any one remember a while back a mother took her kid to a rental range and shot and killed him then killed herself. Maby there should be a 1 time check for each range. Maby could save a life since the previously mentioned regularity of this is pretty true.
    Suicidal people pass background checks quite regularly, so why bother? The ones that couldn't would merely find some other way.

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    If I remember correctly, you have 30 days once you move to VA to get your car registered here and your licence changed to a VA DL
    Yea I got the DL but when we moved there I was still OTR and dident want to spend my one day off in two weeks at the DMV. When I left the OTR thing I had time to get the tags but what can I say im lazy.

No, you won't get in trouble for that....but you could get in trouble for being from NY and making subversive suggestions.
    Cant get in trouble if you cant catch me!

Yea I got the DL but when we moved there I was still OTR and dident want to spend my one day off in two weeks at the DMV. When I left the OTR thing I had time to get the tags but what can I say im lazy.

Cant get in trouble if you cant catch me!
    Remind me to tell you about the fellow who said the same thing after he went to work for a cross country moving company. You'll love the story and the statute of limitations has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Of course not. We're speculating on whether the anti-gunners will jump on this as an excuse for more control laws. Since when do their reasons or excuses ever make any sense whatsoever?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Of course not. We're speculating on whether the anti-gunners will jump on this as an excuse for more control laws. Since when do their reasons or excuses ever make any sense whatsoever?

TFred
    It's almost a certainty that they will use it if and might as well say when, the range comes up for renewal or they apply for expansion.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast