• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What the heck happened at Straight Shooters in Colonial Heights today?????

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Yea any one remember a while back a mother took her kid to a rental range and shot and killed him then killed herself. Maby there should be a 1 time check for each range. Maby could save a life since the previously mentioned regularity of this is pretty true.
Suicidal people pass background checks quite regularly, so why bother? The ones that couldn't would merely find some other way.

Tanner

If I remember correctly, you have 30 days once you move to VA to get your car registered here and your licence changed to a VA DL

Yea I got the DL but when we moved there I was still OTR and dident want to spend my one day off in two weeks at the DMV. When I left the OTR thing I had time to get the tags but what can I say im lazy.

No, you won't get in trouble for that....but you could get in trouble for being from NY and making subversive suggestions.:p

Cant get in trouble if you cant catch me! :monkey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yea I got the DL but when we moved there I was still OTR and dident want to spend my one day off in two weeks at the DMV. When I left the OTR thing I had time to get the tags but what can I say im lazy.

Cant get in trouble if you cant catch me! :monkey

Remind me to tell you about the fellow who said the same thing after he went to work for a cross country moving company. You'll love the story and the statute of limitations has passed.:lol:

TFred

According to the articles I'v read, the fellow who committed suicide at the range was in military uniform. Hence, it's doubtful a background check would have disqualified him from obtaining a gun. The sad fact is that this mode of suicide at public ranges renting guns is not all that uncommon.
Of course not. We're speculating on whether the anti-gunners will jump on this as an excuse for more control laws. Since when do their reasons or excuses ever make any sense whatsoever?

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Of course not. We're speculating on whether the anti-gunners will jump on this as an excuse for more control laws. Since when do their reasons or excuses ever make any sense whatsoever?

TFred

It's almost a certainty that they will use it if and might as well say when, the range comes up for renewal or they apply for expansion.

Marco

when did I say anything about a type of firearm? and yea we could kill ourself with any thing. When people do these things it overall hurts the public on firearms. I rather some one fall on a chainsaw that use a gun.....
not to many antis agains chainsaws.

Alittle defensive are we?
I never attributed that statement to you.. ie.."did someone"... and if you had read you would have seen someone did blame the gun:
Glock is the first thing that comes to mind.....sorry Glock guys.

As to folks can kill with anything, so true. So why should folks renting a firearm have to get a one time background check like you hinted to?
What do you our anyone think a background check is going to tell them about someone that wants to rent/buy a firearm?

Do you (or others) think all dangerous mentally ill folks are in the system? Do you think only those that fail a background check are dangerous to themselves and those around them.

The VT mass murderer passed his background check, as well as the Long Island murderer, this guy even waited the 15 days required by CA law for his firearm purchase.

So, I ask again why would you even hint a background check is a good idea?
Me thinks you still have too much NY in you, as a former NYC'er myself it's easy to spot.
Got to wash Bloombeg out of your head, he is just a different type of Jim Jones, imho.

Now, if you were truely be sarcastic disregard.

It's a shame we gun owners have to go on the offensive/defensive because someone does something stupid with a firearm.

Last edited:

Tanner

I never attributed that statement to you.. ie.."did someone"... and if you had read you would have seen someone did blame the gun:

As to others can kill with anything ,so true. So why should folks renting a firearm have to get a one time background check like you hinted to?

When a drunk kills, do those that drink call for harsher restrictions for drinkers?
When someone drowns do swimmers ask for tough swimmming rules/regs?

What do you our anyone think a backgroubnd check is going to tell them about someone that wants to rent a fireram?

The VT mass murderer passed his background check, as well as the long Island murderer, this guy even waited teh 15 days required by CA law for his firearm purchase.

So, I ask again why would you even hint a background check is a good idea?
Me thinks you still have too much NY in you, as former NYC'er it's easy to spot.
Got to wash Bloombeg out of your head, he is just a different type of Jim Jones, imho.

Yes I was getting defensive.....Im very sensitive. But i agree that I still have to much of NY in my head.

va_tazdad

Young and full of energy

No, you won't get in trouble for that....but you could get in trouble for being from NY and making subversive suggestions.:p

Calm down Peter. Not all Yankees are bad people. Many, dare I say most, have learned to think for themselves and are no longer under government mind control. (Some even learn to love BBQ and Pinto Beans)

The difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee... Yankees come to the South (Virginia) for vacation. Us Damn Yankees STAY!

Not all of us were fortunate enough to be born here, but we ARE smart enough to choose to live here!

;>)

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran

+1

Tanner you had to be reigned in once before. I caught you telling some silly stuff to Jaime Radtke about a Federal law that prevents truckers from being able to carry. I hope I was polite about it, but I nearly jumped into you with both feet about that. I had to get John Pierce over to set you straight, and explain to Jaime that what you were telling her was utter nonsense. I just don't have the tact or patience when It comes to correcting people that spout nonsense about gun laws. You have 200 posts since May, maybe you should lurk more, learn, and post less.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
It's almost a certainty that they will use it if and might as well say when, the range comes up for renewal or they apply for expansion.

Maybe in another county, but based on Jeff's reputation and good relations with LEO he's good-to-go. Besides that, you got to think about the neighborhood. Do you really think the people in Colonial Heights give a darn about a gun range in their neighborhood? Heck no! They love it. Let me break it down in politically incorrect terms. Those rednecks in Colonial Heights (black and white) aren't going to try to muscle out a shooting range.

va_tazdad

Me thinks you still have too much NY in you, as a former NYC'er myself it's easy to spot.

Bloomers IS the biggest problem NYC has, and your assessment is accurate IMHO !

Steeler-gal

According to the second report, they found him shot when they went out to tell him they were closing? I know at the ranges I go to, even if I'm the only one on the line, there's someone watching me - either in person or by video feed.

WTF?! Where we're the RSOs or CRSOs?

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Steeler-gal

If someone has a psych history that would bar them from buying a gun from an FFL that wouldn't bar them renting a gun.

This is one reason I don't shoot at such places.

Wouldn't that only work if the person is seeing a psychiatrist? Seeing a therapist doesn't one up on those background checks.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Yankee jokes are a running thing Taz. Sorta The Ugly American, Southern Style:lol:.

The truth is, I'll take one Northerner like Proshooter or yourself over a hundred ex cops from the base of the divide, who has lived here all his life....or a cop in Northern Va who came here straight from North Carolina.

As I've said many times, "Ain't the real estate, it's the person"!
That philosophy does interfere with my sense of humor though.:lol:

stickslinger

Calm down Peter. Not all Yankees are bad people. Many, dare I say most, have learned to think for themselves and are no longer under government mind control. (Some even learn to love BBQ and Pinto Beans)

How about boiled peanuts?

The difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee... Yankees come to the South (Virginia) for vacation. Us Damn Yankees STAY!

Not all of us were fortunate enough to be born here, but we ARE smart enough to choose to live here!

;>)

BillB

Interesting that the only state to have always embraced constitutional carry is Vermont. That they still do despite the likes of Howard Dean and being full of other democrats too is pretty remarkable.

va_tazdad

This AIN'T Georgia!

How about boiled peanuts?

LOL I tried that "delicacy" when I was working at the White House and on a trip with Jimmy "the idiot" Carter to his vacation spot in Saint Simons Georgia.

I will have to lump that with Grits, Okra and Sweet potatoes, No thanks.

But back to the topic, Jeff runs a good range and I just hope he doesn't have any problems from the suicide. It would be a shame. His range far surpassed the joke on Midlothian across from the State Police HQ!

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Rental range suicide is unfortunately neither new nor uncommon.

A case occurred many years ago as a family member was leaving a range. The owners ran into the parking lot to ask said family member if they saw anything while on the range and if they could provide a statement to the police.

and that right there is the point where this thread officially goes downhill, right into the crapper.
You know we love you!

There's any number of us that would happily treat you to lunch at the local BBQ joint!

:D