• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What the heck happened at Straight Shooters in Colonial Heights today?????

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Come on guys, play nice!

Perhaps it is true that it is better to be misunderstood by your friends than understood by your enemies.

Friends are accepting, supportive and make suggestions; they accept us in spite of our complications. Enemies want to control, dominate and demand; they judge us by our faults/weaknesses.

va_tazdad

Here, here

Perhaps it is true that it is better to be misunderstood by your friends than understood by your enemies.

Friends are accepting, supportive and make suggestions; they accept us in spite of our complications. Enemies want to control, dominate and demand; they judge us by our faults/weaknesses.

Spoken as a true elder statesman!

But then who could argue with a man that has such a pretty 1911?

I do not agree with everything posted here, but the vast majority of information provided has greatly educated and enlightened me.

When I first moved to NOVA, the couple that lived below me (from North Carolina) adopted my roommate and me because they said no Yankee could survive in VA unless somebody educated them how to act properly around good southern folk.

I listened and learned and they now laugh because I have done the same thing they did.

Many people need education and guidance and it doesn’t always come easy or take root the first time, but the investment usually pays off.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

When I first joined this site 4 years ago, I found that many of my questions were answered by reading, essentially, the entire site, including all the other States.

Other questions were answered by following links to other sources.

After all this research, I found that I did not often have much to add as far as overall knowledge of gun laws, etc. Others here are much superior to me. I feel relegated to making posts such as this one.

I try to be quite careful when talking about "the law" as my memory is not photographic and laws can be confusing.

I still ask questions here. But I am definitely more of a reader than a poster.

Maybe tonight I will go back and find the thread I saw that tells me how to get enhanced icons and spellcheck(?)!

(damn ----this has nothing to do with the thread)

Tanner

Tanner, you're a nice guy. I've met you in person. I totally disagree with you. It's great you're attending the OC breakfasts; those guys Grape, Skid, Joe, Peter,Pro are the best.
I will not respect you as one of my peers in the 2nd Amendment activist community until you do a few things. Get VA plates, attend a Lobby Day, join VCDL and refrain from uttering nonsense. If you do the first three things I said I could let the last one slide a little.

Lurk more, type less.

I wouldent consider myself an activist or ever call myself one. I like guns and the idea of OC. I support those who fight for our 2A rights. I am the benifactor of their efforts and sacrifice. The role I have decided to take in all of this is behind the sceen. I will OC and educate those who may not understand why I or we carry. When I take on a responsibility like that and am representing a large group of people I will without fail tell them the things I know 100% to be true. END OF STORY Im fortunate to have met they guys who go to the breakfasts. They are generally great people (maby not skid) and have been a big part of my reeducation on how things acctually work. I dont understand how going to a Lobby Day and being a member of VCDL would earn me your respect. I agree about the plates though. I will have VA plates when I buy a new car. Until then im not currently in VA so this would be impossible anyways. Last but not least and most importantly. I need and welcome constructive critiacism, it helps me grow and learn. I am not sensitive so there is no need to walk around egg shells when telling me the error of my ways. However it is apearent that I royaly piss you off and offend you. For now we will just have to bite our lip when talking to eachother.

P.S. That was a joke skid. Your alright its acctually peter who scares me :p

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
However it is apearent that I royaly piss you off and offend you.

Dude, a guy like you doesn't royally piss anyone off. You're a big teddy bear. Don't let me hurt your feelings. You required an intervention. An intervention that can only be properly delivered by someone with my delicate sensibilities.

ClumsyCandy

Wouldn't that only work if the person is seeing a psychiatrist? Seeing a therapist doesn't one up on those background checks.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Seeing a psychiatrist does not bar you from owning a weapon and would NEVER show up in a background check. What shows up is those who have been "green warranted" or admitted for psychiatric observation for their own protection. Which is why background checks don't stop crazy.

And I don't know what kind of hazing you faced but unless you come onto this forum running off at the mouth, the guys and gals here are the most welcoming group of people you'll ever want to meet.

And also, you highlighted, and increased GrapeShots words, yet somehow, still didn't take away his message. QUIT with the back and forth publicly. This was a topic about an individual being shot at a range. Somehow, and to the joy of those who love to see us acting like the irrational white trash they love to make us out to be, you and another individual turned it into a piss-ing (somehow, that's a bad word) match. If you're really "putting on your big boy pants" you would've hushed MANY posts ago and taken your disagreement to a PRIVATE MESSAGE. Do us all a favor in the future and try to stay on topic and keep the bickering to a PM. Including any and all issues you may have with my posts.

Finally, you don't see how going to lobby day and joining VCDL are helping? Then my friend, you really do need to read more and troll less.

BTW, I love my yankee :p

Edited to add more crankiness that years of constant pain and no sleep will do to you.

Last edited:

Tanner

Seeing a psychiatrist does not bar you from owning a weapon and would NEVER show up in a background check. What shows up is those who have been "green warranted" or admitted for psychiatric observation for their own protection. Which is why background checks don't stop crazy.

And I don't know what kind of hazing you faced but unless you come onto this forum running off at the mouth, the guys and gals here are the most welcoming group of people you'll ever want to meet.

And also, you highlighted, and increased GrapeShots words, yet somehow, still didn't take away his message. QUIT with the back and forth publicly. This was a topic about an individual being shot at a range. Somehow, and to the joy of those who love to see us acting like the irrational white trash they love to make us out to be, you and another individual turned it into a piss-ing (somehow, that's a bad word) match. If you're really "putting on your big boy pants" you would've hushed MANY posts ago and taken your disagreement to a PRIVATE MESSAGE. Do us all a favor in the future and try to stay on topic and keep the bickering to a PM. Including any and all issues you may have with my posts.

Finally, you don't see how going to lobby day and joining VCDL are helping? Then my friend, you really do need to read more and troll less.

BTW, I love my yankee :p

Edited to add more crankiness that years of constant pain and no sleep will do to you.

Well done!

1) I never said that the lobby day and the VCDL arent helping.
I dont understand how joining or participating would earn me respect.
2) I mentioned a hazing as something light hearted. No acctual "hazing" has taken place.

3)You mention not "trolling" (stupid stupid term) and send disagreements in a private message.
Take your own advice.
4) I think there is some kind of missunderstanding that I am a yankee.. I am a buckeye by birth but spent most of my life in south FL. Or the united states of Cuba as I like to call it.

Steeler-gal

Good point. What I meant (and didn't say) is that a psychiatrist can/will diagnose a patient and can admit patients into psychiatric care, which I assume shows up when the background checks are done. A therapist does not formally diagnose and cannot admit patients.

Tanner

Good point. What I meant (and didn't say) is that a psychiatrist can/will diagnose a patient and can admit patients into psychiatric care, which I assume shows up when the background checks are done. A therapist does not formally diagnose and cannot admit patients.

Do you know if there is anything a therapist can do that will show up on a backgound check?

Steeler-gal

Do you know if there is anything a therapist can do that will show up on a backgound check?

I don't believe so.

ClumsyCandy

As I said, only Court ordered admission to a psychiatric treatment will show up. Simply seeing a psychiatrist does not. That is a medical record. Green warrants only show up because they are a legal record.

va_tazdad

8AM class for state re-cert

I have a class today at 8 am and we will be conducting the live fire portion At Straight Shooters.

Let's hope everything is ok.

va_tazdad

No right to "cowboy carry" (open carry)

According to the DCJS "instructor" at class today, the police can stop me and demand ID/drivers license while I open carry or as the retired LEO called it "cowboy carry".

I asked for what reason, and he replied "just in case I was a felon". I laughed at him and asked what communist country he was a LEO in?

I stated that all I had to do was identify myself but had no duty to provide my driver’s license unless I was driving. (When did Virginia become NYC) He said I was wrong and didn’t know what I was talking about. I respectfully informed him that he was wrong and he immediately launched into his “LEO safety” bull$hit line.

I laughed and said I looked forward to any cop that dumb harassing me about my 2nd Amendment rights and walked away from mister "old school harass the citizens" retired LEO.

I have never seen this “instructor” before and was surprised Jeff would hire him. Fortunately, he was not at the range where Jeff ran things in his usual and professional manner.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't get me started Taz:lol:

You did a good job, won't make any difference because the only thing dumber than a closed mind is a retired closed mind.

va_tazdad

Close

Don't get me started Taz:lol:

You did a good job, won't make any difference because the only thing dumber than a closed mind is a retired closed mind.

Thanks.

That should be retired LEO closed mind. He was "old school" and fully believed in harassing the public to keep them in line.

He liked telling how in “the old days” stories and dogged the current LEOs as college boy wimps that never were in a fight.

As I said, he didn’t know or understand the law and it was “his way or the highway”.

Not worth arguing with.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks.

That should be retired LEO closed mind. He was "old school" and fully believed in harassing the public to keep them in line.

He liked telling how in “the old days” stories and dogged the current LEOs as college boy wimps that never were in a fight.

As I said, he didn’t know or understand the law and it was “his way or the highway”.

Not worth arguing with.

Worth reporting to Jeff though, if he was an instructor employed there.