Thread: Car Safe

Car Safe

Hey guys, I tried searching but wasn't really able to find anything so forgive me if this is a topic that's been covered. I have a job that doesn't allow me to carry, and I don't get off work until 0200. I do most of my shopping after I get off work, so I like to carry to and from and leave my weapon in my car while I'm on shift, but I don't like leaving it in the glove box where anyone could find if they just broke out the window. I'm not very familiar with car safes so what are the pros/cons and how difficult are they to install? My biggest concern is that I don't want to have to get out of the car and stand out in the open while I am putting the weapon in the safe, so I want to get something that I can put in the passenger compartment of the car. I read one post that mentioned cabling it to the seat and sliding it under, but my car doesn't have the clearance under the seats for that unless I was putting it in from behind the seat which makes it slow and difficult to get to from the drivers seat. Are there any other options? If it's relevant, the car is an Olds Alero. Thanks for any input/advice y'all can give me.

I have always thought this would be a good option - don't own it but this one always impressed me
    http://titangunvault.com/
    remove handgun registration in Clark County,NV

2nd amendment in modern English: The people have the right to own and carry firearms, and it may not be violated because a well-equipped Militia is necessary for a State to remain secure and free.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantic84 View Post
    I have always thought this would be a good option - don't own it but this one always impressed me
    Nice design - not cheap.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Nice design - not cheap.
    Yeah the good ones will cost you.

I saw an ad in an Off the Grid newsletter for a biometric safe that might meet your needs. Of course I can't find it now. I think you "program" it to "know" your hand or finger prints and it only needs a quick touch to pop the lid and be armed and ready. Pretty slick really.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

The cheap option is a cable lock. Slide the action open, and run the cable through the magazine well and ejection port, and secure it to the best hidden fixture in your car. That may or may not involve under the seat. You could also weld something in to your vehicles floor if needed, or have a friend do it if you don't weld.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Shame I don't have a place to put it into my cabin.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    The cheap option is a cable lock. Slide the action open, and run the cable through the magazine well and ejection port, and secure it to the best hidden fixture in your car. That may or may not involve under the seat. You could also weld something in to your vehicles floor if needed, or have a friend do it if you don't weld.
    +1. Most welding shops will weld an eye-bolt pretty much where you want it for about $10. That and a $5 cable lock will defeat most thieves, who are looking for stuff they can grab and go, as opposed to sitting there with boltcutters or a hacksaw. It would help if your parking lot were both well lighted and patrolled.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Expat View Post
    Yeah the good ones will cost you.

I saw an ad in an Off the Grid newsletter for a biometric safe that might meet your needs. Of course I can't find it now. I think you "program" it to "know" your hand or finger prints and it only needs a quick touch to pop the lid and be armed and ready. Pretty slick really.
    most of them are crap - - video is kind of long but informative
    - video is kind of long but infromative
    remove handgun registration in Clark County,NV

2nd amendment in modern English: The people have the right to own and carry firearms, and it may not be violated because a well-equipped Militia is necessary for a State to remain secure and free.

most of them are crap - - video is kind of long but informative
    - video is kind of long but infromative
    Hahah, that's my buddy deviant. I was there that day he did that talk. He's a good guy, and does his homework.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Well, it appears that NO lock is safe with this guy! A cool vid, thanks.

I guess ya need to have a hungry BFD in the car and hope no crooks bring a tranquilizer.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Expat View Post
    Well, it appears that NO lock is safe with this guy! A cool vid, thanks.

I guess ya need to have a hungry BFD in the car and hope no crooks bring a tranquilizer.
    The lock from a teenage girl's diary will stop many thieves. There are a few determined ones that will not be deterred by all the locks, alarms and actual human guards you can muster, to say nothing of interlocking deathray lasers.

Smash&Grabs seem to last under 10 seconds. Get in fast, get out fast, and get away faster is the typical MO. Everything you do to increase the time they must use between "Smash!" and "Git gone!" increases the odds that they wikk give up and leave you with a busted window and all your property still there.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

If anyone is interested in more of the lock picking stuff, Deviant has lots more at his site, deviating.net.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    The lock from a teenage girl's diary will stop many thieves. There are a few determined ones that will not be deterred by all the locks, alarms and actual human guards you can muster, to say nothing of interlocking deathray lasers.

Smash&Grabs seem to last under 10 seconds. Get in fast, get out fast, and get away faster is the typical MO. Everything you do to increase the time they must use between "Smash!" and "Git gone!" increases the odds that they wikk give up and leave you with a busted window and all your property still there.

stay safe.
    In the old days we would use a padlock through the trigger guard and chain to secure to something solid. This was before the birth of the commercial gunlocks. Rifles were stored in racks in the trunk in a similar fashion. Shotgun was stored in upright locking rack secured to the floor and dash, the shotgun stayed in the car all the time. While the shotgun rack could be unlocked also with a tubular key, we never had anyone attempt to steal a shotgun.

Hey guys, sorry I meant to reply last week but got caught up watching a bunch of the defcon videos and forgot to actually post I'm familiar with breaking into locks and just how easy it is, but I was thinking along the same lines; make it too difficult for the casual thief of opportunity. I kind of like the simple cable to an eye bolt and might use it in my trunk for my long guns, but I usually try to avoid unloading my pistol unless i'm cleaning it or shooting it. I think what I might do is hybrid the two ideas, use a cable off of a smaller lock box and run that to something welded in. I wasn't aware of how easy the tubular locks were to open though, I'd always had difficulty picking one myself, so now I'll have to make sure to get something a little better. Thanks for the great vids and info everyone. If I find anything interesting while I'm experimenting I'll be sure to let y'all know.

Quote Originally Posted by silver nekode View Post
    Hey guys, sorry I meant to reply last week but got caught up watching a bunch of the defcon videos and forgot to actually post I'm familiar with breaking into locks and just how easy it is, but I was thinking along the same lines; make it too difficult for the casual thief of opportunity. I kind of like the simple cable to an eye bolt and might use it in my trunk for my long guns, but I usually try to avoid unloading my pistol unless i'm cleaning it or shooting it. I think what I might do is hybrid the two ideas, use a cable off of a smaller lock box and run that to something welded in. I wasn't aware of how easy the tubular locks were to open though, I'd always had difficulty picking one myself, so now I'll have to make sure to get something a little better. Thanks for the great vids and info everyone. If I find anything interesting while I'm experimenting I'll be sure to let y'all know.
    Silver depending on the gun a cable or lock behind the trigger guard will stop them from being fired. No need to unload the gun. This will not work for a 1911 though. But will for most revolvers, and I believe even the glock. We used this method on issued M39's and revolvers.

I just left the last talk of the day at Defcon, and there was another this year on gunsafes. They showed videos of a 3 year old opening mine, and several other. Many by stackon, gunvault,etc.

Granted, they used many patented tools, like the paper clip, and a straw from mcdonalds. Stuff the average 3 yr old wouldn't have access to. As soon as I can find videos I'll post them.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/07/gun-safes/

Here is the bits from Fridays defcon talk on the subject. All your safes are belong to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/07/gun-safes/

Here is the bits from Fridays defcon talk on the subject. All your safes are belong to us!

"Fixed" this quote for them - put it in order of my priorities.

Is a plastic drinking straw from McDonald’s the only thing keeping a thief child — or worse, a child thief — from accessing the loaded weapon in your closet safe?

Locks/safes keep honest people honest and a trained child safe.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Locks/safes keep honest people honest and a trained child safe.
    My takeaway from this was not so much about the kids or thieves, more about just acknowledging that the weaknesses exist, and hopefully motivating the manufacturers the improve upon it. Shame can go a long way. If we end up with a better product as the end result, that's wonderful.

I agree, the child FUD was a bit much, but I still got the point.
    ---
    Carry On

Banned
    http://www.mhq.com/accessories/storage/truckvault.html

Link to a trunk vault -- cops use these

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    http://www.mhq.com/accessories/storage/truckvault.html

Link to a trunk vault -- cops use these
    100 lbs and $929.90

Sounds like something that only our gobbermint can afford. At that price, I would hope that it was fire resistant too.

Where would I install one in my truck? Also wonder how long it might take little Johny to open it?