• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Re: Target Practice On Private Land (Colorado)

Reasonable2012

Re: Target Practice On Private Land (Colorado)

Hey all -

Question? My rural land is surrounded by large ranches in N.E. Colorado. My nearest neighbor is about 1.5 miles away by air. I occasionally target practice and so a few years ago looked up the laws to see if there was any minimum range one can discharge a firearm from other houses, etc. What I'm remembering is finding some code that indicated a minimum distance, but I can no longer find it. Maybe it has changed, or maybe I misread something?

At any rate, here is the issue. Here out in the middle of nowhere, some guys (no idea who) set up a target range about 1/2 mile away. No idea who they are, how old they are, how safe they are, etc. Have had people trying to target practice 500' from my house before, and even one time hunting 300' from my house. These guys are farther away, but still quite close...and I could hear bullets ricochet from their semi-auto weapons.

So, no problem with the guns, no problem with target practice, no problem with the noise. Just seems neighborly to stop by and introduce yourself before setting up shop near someone's house. Also, why setup near their house when you could easily drive a mile away and setup in a hollow?

My specific question, is whether or not there is some minimum range from neighboring houses that target practice must be in Colorado? Googling suggests 500' is a common range in other states. Talking with the sheriff's dept they said the person could do it 2' from your house as long as it is on their property. They could not cite code for this, though.

That stance seems problematic. I can complain about neighbors having a loud property, but not about them repeatedly shooting a gun 2' from my window? :lol:
It is a safety issue, amazed the cops cannot see that. For example, if I knew these people and that they were experienced with firearms and safe in using them, then there would be no concern.

However, with strangers ricocheting semi-automatic fire from nearby, it seems one would have to be asleep in the defense of ones home and loved ones to not care. But searching through code all I am finding is that the bullets cannot leave the private property and the firearm must be discharged in a safe manner. Currently no mention of any minimum distance. What about me going out and target practicing on my private land, behind them, (shooting safely with bullet not leaving my land, into a berm NOT in their direction!) Seems like that would have been a concern to them, and suppose there would have been some law against me doing that? At any rate, target practicing next to a neighbor's house seems like an awesome way to legally harass them.

Crazy world we live in. You can't shoot someone who is unarmed and bashing your head into the sidewalk, but people can fire guns 2' from your window. You can carry a concealed weapon as long as you are ready willing and able to jump through all the hoops, then repeat the next year (in other words, it is not practical to do so). BUT YOU MUST HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE even if you cannot afford it...or they will fine you.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hey all -

Question? My rural land is surrounded by large ranches in N.E. Colorado.

So, you're saying you're in the county but not under any city jurisdiction?

That stance seems problematic. I can complain about neighbors having a loud property, but not about them repeatedly shooting a gun 2' from my window? :lol:
It is a safety issue, amazed the cops cannot see that. For example, if I knew these people and that they were experienced with firearms and safe in using them, then there would be no concern.

If you can hear their bullets ricocheting, it's a concern. Doesn't matter how well you know them or not.

But searching through code all I am finding is that the bullets cannot leave the private property and the firearm must be discharged in a safe manner.

Discharging them in a manner which results in ricochets is not discharging them in a safe manner.

Ricochets can occur with any bullet, and with upwards of 90% of the impact velocity. While the bullet is usually deformed, it's not necessary deformed in a manner that increases drag by an appreciable amount.

Currently no mention of any minimum distance. What about me going out and target practicing on my private land, behind them, (shooting safely with bullet not leaving my land, into a berm NOT in their direction!) Seems like that would have been a concern to them, and suppose there would have been some law against me doing that? At any rate, target practicing next to a neighbor's house seems like an awesome way to legally harass them.

The noise factor remains a factor. Depends on if creating an inordinate amount of noise is against the law in your country.

Maine Expat

You may have hit on the solution in your write up.

Try to find their range and introduce yourself. Bring a couple guns and some ammo, maybe something fun to blow up, and have some fun sharing guns.

Old Virginia Joe

Here in rural Virginia just a few years ago, a new neighbor moved in and immediately began shooting big bores at a make-do range he set up across the road from my other neighbor, who has had horses here for 25 years. As the frequent shooting was making his horses frantic and generally bothering us humans, my old neighbor called the sheriff for help, but was told as long as he does not do it in the late night and disturb people's sleep, there was nothing the sheriff could do. If anyone can show that the sheriff was wrong for Virginia law, I would appreciate a cite. Thanks.