• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New BATFE Acting Director warns employees "There will be consequences"

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://washingtonguardian.com/whistleblower-video-chill

The federal prosecutor brought in to reform the embattled Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in the aftermath of the Fast and Furious gun scandal distributed a videotaped message to employees this month warning there would be “consequences” for reporting wrongdoing outside their chain of command.
The video, obtained by the Washington Guardian, immediately raised alarm among agents in the field, members of Congress and whistleblower advocates.
“Choices and consequences means simply that if you make poor choices, that if you don’t abide by the rules, that if you don’t respect the chain of command, if you don’t find the appropriate way to raise your concerns to your leadership, there will be consequences,” Acting Director B. Todd Jones told the employees in a video distributed July 9 by email and closed-circuit TV and obtained by the Washington Guardian.
The 3 minute, 22 second videotape was the last of eight “Changecasts” that Jones distributed to ATF employees in recent weeks to describe how he planned to run the agency, improve morale and instill a new culture in the aftermath of one of the agency's worst scandals.

Seems to me that agents tried, mightily, to raise concerns internally but got ignored. Seems to me that the agents who turned whistleblower recognized their duty to the country, the citizens, and their oath of office as opposed to some misplaced loyalty to the agency above all else.

Seems to me that even the military teaches the responsibility to not obey illegal orders and to report illegal behavior to the point of going over heads and outside the service if attention cannot be obtained via the chain of command.

Seems to me a "Changecast" telling employees they can expect to get steamrollered may be instilling a new culture but it hardly tells them that morale will improve. Reminds me of that poster seen in many offices: "Floggings will continue until morale improves".

stay safe.

gunns

If you have a complaint in the military you have the right to go right up the ladder as far as you want. When I was in the Corp I had a problem I wanted to discuss with my commanding officer and he ridiculed me to no end. I next took it to the Battalion CO and he screwed me over too. I passed him by and went to the Commanding General of the Division. He listened, treated me with respect and fix the problem. The very next day it was fixed and my CO was kissing my ass. They messed up.

The problem with these agency's is that no one on top has any honor. If I were in one of these agency's and had a problem with no one listening I would go to the press too. Could you imagine if that FBI agent that flagged the 9-11 conspirators learning to fly but not land jets had gone outside of the chain of command? We would have a very different world right now.

Ca Patriot

I think its time we eliminate the ATF. Why do we even need it ?

Last time I checked alcohol, tabaco and firearms were legal in America.

Trip20

Sounds as though the leadership changed in name only. Same cover-up mindset will be cultivated.

SFCRetired

Sounds as though the leadership changed in name only. Same cover-up mindset will be cultivated.

Unfortunately, that mindset seems to exist throughout government, even down to the local level. Infrequently, you do hear of someone in politics or in a government job who is ethical enough not to follow that mindset.

Notice I did not use the word "honest". "Honest politician" is an oxymoron.

Am I somewhat cynical? After years of watching government at all levels grow increasingly non-responsive to the populace, most definitely!

KBCraig

http://www.osc.gov/pppwhatare.htm

OSC has the authority to investigate and, where appropriate, prosecute claims of "prohibited personnel practices." There are twelve prohibited personnel practices, including reprisal for whistleblowing, which are defined by law at § 2302(b) of title 5 of the United States Code (U.S.C.). A personnel action" (defined in 5 U.S.C. § 2302(a)(2(A) to include appointments, promotions, reassignments, disciplinary actions, and other personnel matters) may need to be involved for a prohibited personnel practice to occur. Generally stated, § 2302(b) provides that a federal employee who has authority over personnel decisions may not:

(3) coerce the political activity of any person;

(8) engage in reprisal for whistleblowing – generally, a person with personnel authority cannot take or fail to take a personnel action with respect to an employee or applicant because of a disclosure of information by the employee or applicant that he or she reasonably believes evidences a violation of a law, rule or regulation; gross mismanagement; gross waste of funds; an abuse of authority; or a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety. The prohibition does not apply, however, if the disclosure is barred by law or is specifically required by Executive Order to be kept secret in the interest of national defense or the conduct of foreign affairs, except when such a disclosure is made to the Special Counsel, the Inspector General, or a comparable agency official.

(9) take or fail to take a personnel action against an employee or applicant for exercising an appeal, complaint, or grievance right; testifying for or assisting another in exercising such a right; cooperating with or disclosing information to the Special Counsel or to an Inspector General; or refusing to obey an order that would require the individual to violate a law;