• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Trainers Don't Approve of OC

Spencer73

I just saw this and was about to post this. They are way too biased to have a clear argument. They make big deals out of the lesser points of OC. They totally downplayed the deterrent value of OC.

KYKevin

They call the video open vs conceal carry. But it is nothing but an attack on open carry. They make money with their classes. They begin and end by selling their business in the video. They do disrespect oc people by talking down to them with this video. But they are entitled to their opinion. And it is just that, an opinion. Maybe if one of them had been a open carrier in the video it would have been less boring and would have been more open vs conceal carry as the video was titled. Maybe it will drum up some business for them.

You will also notice they disabled the ratings for their video. I suspect they knew what the overall response would be. :)

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

I got a migraine from repeatedly rolling my eyes during the first 59 seconds of "I'm James Yeager and I'm not gonna call you names!"

Didn't make it past much more than that, after I heard them yammering about how they just don't understand HOW open carry could possibly be more comfortable (does wearing layers or heavier material sound comfy in 90+ degree weather?!) and how "most but not all" OC'ers didn't have a gun belt or only had a $4 holster.

:banghead:

M

McX

boy it would be nice if i had wads of money to spend on fancy holsters, instead i use the 9 buckers that are disdained. i dont even got money for a fancy pair of sunglasses. snarf.

i'm Snake Pliskin, you can call me Snake.

Last edited:

georg jetson

1 in 5 police officers are murdered with their own gun? Holy crap!!! 20% of all police offers are dead? Where was this statistic when people were arguing that being a police officer may not be the most dangerous occupation?

since9

Campaign Veteran
They make money with their classes.

More to the point, when OC is allowed without a class-based permit, firearms safety instructors don't make a dime off OC. CC is their bread and butter! Of course they're defending their profession, and that's understandable.

What I don't understand is how they could have so little integrity (or is it merely lack of common sense?) to repeat some of the whoppers in the video. Where do they learn that garbage, anyway? Is that what they're teaching in instructor school these days?

Medic1210

James Yeager needs to check his black history. At 11:10, he said if Rosa Parks' plan didn't work out, blacks would still be slaves. Talk about ridiculous. Slavery was abolished in the mid-1800's. Rosa Parks didn't get off the bus almost 100 years later.

I commented on that, but since they have to approve the comments, I'm betting it will never get posted.

They also claim that most OC proponents don't have any real gun training (not including state mandated classes). Like most CCW holders get any real gun training...

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I couldn't make it half way through, what a couple of self serving (insert name calling). All they did was insult OCing, and act like complete fools. The stupid part is some OCers take CC classes, they can kiss that money goodbye.

OC for ME

Their video could have been what, a 15 second spot?

"CC good, OC bad, here's our phone number and address, come on down and sign up today. 10% off if you sign up in the next 15 minutes."

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
"Like sand thru an hourglass........." No individual will be able to change the minds of these so called "experts". They have closed their minds to discussion and have set their opinions. What we, as OC people, could do is Keep Calm, Carry On, and let them look stupid.

cshoff

More to the point, when OC is allowed without a class-based permit, firearms safety instructors don't make a dime off OC. CC is their bread and butter! Of course they're defending their profession, and that's understandable.

To my knowledge, TR does NOT offer a CCW permit course (that is Yeager's company). I am not sure about the other guy because I have never heard of him. So, at least as far as Yeager is concerned, it's not like he is losing money on CCW permit classes when folks decide to OC rather than CC, because he doesn't offer those classes anyway. In addition, he doesn't just offer his regular training classes to CCW permit holders - if you want to take a TR class, you can take it whether you OC or CC. In fact, I would guess that the vast majority of the people attending those classes do it with OWB gear and exposed firearms.

What I don't understand is how they could have so little integrity (or is it merely lack of common sense?) to repeat some of the whoppers in the video. Where do they learn that garbage, anyway? Is that what they're teaching in instructor school these days?

I don't know. I could have come up with better, more well thought out arguments against OC (or in support of CC) than what they came up with, and I'm not even against OC. The sad thing is, they botched an opportunity to have a REAL and VALID discussion on the issue by coming forward with such poorly researched and poorly presented opinions.

WhistlingJack

I couldn't even finish that video.
Their language and mannerisms are very unproffesional, I wouldn't pay Tank Abbot and the Miz there to sweep my floors let alone teach me anything about firearms.

Their statements (to me at least) just goes to prove you don't have to be honest, or know what you are talking about to be an 'expert'. And the laugh when Tank Abbot (yes I know that's not his real name but with the sunglasses on that's who he reminds me of) begins saying he is not going to call names....then goes on to make a video which is insulting to OC'ers, it is simply a cheap laugh.

Commenting on how most OC'ers don't have any 'real training'....attending a Concealed Carry Course is of course not 'real training', how many people carrying a firearm do have 'real training'? How many who carry a gun and have 'real training' are any good with their weapon despite their 'real training'?
Police Officers train, they are notoriously bad shots who miss more often and are more likely to hit innocent bystanders than are private citizens. That is not conjecture it is documented fact. More than one firearms article has been printed on how the marksmanship abilities of the average GI in the Army are considerably inferior to those of private citizens. (Not bashing the Army here, they do what they can with the budget they have.) Attacking OC'ers for being poorly trained is dishonest and condescending. Poor training, and poor skills is not confined to a particular niche of people.

Meanwhile I have no respect for someone who uses fear-mongering to push their point. All of this crap about how OC'ers get targeted first, these remarks come invariably from people who know nothing about how criminals actually behave. It all assumes that a firearm will be noticed just because someone is OC'ing it. There are many places I regularly go where it was weeks or even months after I started open carrying before any of the employees there actually noticed I had a firearm on me. Saying someone will be targeted first is like saying a criminal will see a Cop in a gas station, walk in, shoot the cop, then rob the place instead of going somewhere else. A criminal walks in and sees someone with a gun, he's going to go somewhere else.

What really bothers me about guys like these two is people will think they are 'experts' so they must be right, all they say must be gold, they will pay for training, then think of themselves as experts and create a never-ending cycle of conceit.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They aren't trainers. They are opportunists with some training to offer. There is a difference.