• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on rental residental properties.

RCall

Before I ask for your opinions I would like to quote the ORC:

(3)(b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after the effective date of this amendment enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant’s guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

(c) As used in division (C)(3) of this section:

(i) “Residential premises” has the same meaning as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code, except “residential premises” does not include a dwelling unit that is owned or operated by a college or university.

(ii) “Landlord,” “tenant,” and “rental agreement” have the same meanings as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code.

With that said I also would like to say this is strictly a hypothetical situation and I'm just looking for some opinions on how you would handle a situation as such:

Lets say you are visiting a friend or family member residing on rented residential property and either a neighbor or an agent of the landlord notices you are carrying a handgun and one way or another you are asked to leave, even while the resident you are visiting is present. Do you leave without saying anything in fear of being arrested for trespassing to handle it in a courtroom or other means of civil meditation? Or, do you stay and argue the fact that you know you are legally able to be on the property and risk being arrested for trespassing and having the cops tell you your argument is a civil matter?

Here is a second scenario, Lets say you are involved in the same activity as scenario # 1 But you may/may not know ahead of time that the landlord has attempted to prohibit the legal carrying of handguns by either a statement in the lease or maybe there might be signs posted that you may or may not have seen ahead of time. Do you bring it to the landlords attention ahead of time to make them aware that they are not legally able to prohibit such an act? Or do you just ignore it and see if an issue arises?

Occasionally I do notice apartment communities with gun buster signs posted at the entrance but I have never needed to pass one on my way into any I visit.

Im interested in hearing some opinions on how you would handle this type of situation and why you would handle it in that manner. If anybody knows of any Ohio case law pertaining to such a situation also that would also be great.

MyWifeSaidYes

The law, which you quoted, seems quite clear.

If you are a tenant, or a guest of a tenant, the landlord has no direct authority to remove you for carrying, assuming the lease was signed after the appropriate date, and CHL holders are involved.

If you are open carrying without a CHL, or if you are not a tenant or guest of a tenant, you can be asked to leave legally.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What is the date mentioned? Just for future reference..

(b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after [strike]the effective date of this amendment[/strike] September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant's guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.
(c) As used in division (C)(3) of this section:
(i) "Residential premises" has the same meaning as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code, except "residential premises" does not include a dwelling unit that is owned or operated by a college or university.​
(ii) "Landlord," "tenant," and "rental agreement" have the same meanings as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=129_HB_425

Last edited:

RCall

Where do you get that open carriers could be asked to leave?

I believe he is referring to the following:

A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after the effective date of this amendment enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant’s guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

The way I interpret that line at this time, and I believe MWSY also interprets it, as it only provides an exemption if you are a c/c licensee.