Thread: Open carry on boat in Maine Waters

Question Open carry on boat in Maine Waters

Hello Mainers, I have a pretty specific question.

As I understand it, according to Title 12, §11212 and per the §10001 definitions for "motor vehicle", loaded open carry without a Maine recognized CHP on a motorboat is legal? Specifically, I'm trying to find out if open carry would be required and legal on a "harbor cruise" ship that leaves out of a port in Portsmouth, NH, tours the harbor, crosses into ME waters and then returns to port in NH. I do have a NH pistol license, but obviously it's no good in Maine at this time.

Lastly, does anyone have any experience with boat captains in Portsmouth, NH that operate these tours? I'm wondering if they would even let me board with an openly-carried pistol?

Thank you much.
    America, where freedom* reigns.

*Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

-----------

“What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

Title 12 S11212

B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit.
    It only says you are banned on a motor vehicle. It says nothing about any ban on boats. Section 1A says you cannot shoot from the boat though. So yes carry, no shoot.

Title 12 deals with hunting, wildlife management. Also if you go more than 3 miles out to sea international laws apply.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

I seem to recall that if your origin and destination are the same (or if you're traveling to a State that has reciprocal agreements?) you're good to go. But I'm a noob and could be totally wrong so...

I'm guessing if the good Capt. doesn't want it on his vessel you'd be obliged to comply.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    Title 12 deals with hunting, wildlife management. Also if you go more than 3 miles out to sea international laws apply.
    So if one is not hunting, is this section still pertinent or are there some other laws governing this scenario?

This would be the route, so I don't believe it is more than 3 miles out >> http://portsmouthharbor.com/map.php?id=harbor_cruise

Incidentally, in international waters, are there no restrictions regarding carry?

*Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

-----------

“What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Freiheit417 View Post
    So if one is not hunting, is this section still pertinent or are there some other laws governing this scenario?

This would be the route, so I don't believe it is more than 3 miles out >> http://portsmouthharbor.com/map.php?id=harbor_cruise

Incidentally, in international waters, are there no restrictions regarding carry?
    The section is still pertinent even if you are not hunting.

Police jurisdiction stops at the waters edge.

The US Coast Guard Authority & Jurisdiction covers the water. When I was a Coast Guard boarding officer I never asked for a firearms license just if you had any weapons onboard. If your response was yes I'd instruct you not to reach for it while my team was onboard conducting our safety inspection. ( yes I was trained to say for yours and officer safety )

Thank you all for the replies.

-----------