• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BREAKING NEWS: At Least 10 Dead, 20 Hurt in Aurora Colorado Shooting Spree

M-Taliesin

Sounds like a little bit of an apiring hero deal, M-T.

Idealistic. But probably not practical.

Kind of reminds me of the Zimmerman mentality--"Hey, let me see if I can engage in this situation--after all, I have a gun!"

Question for you , M-T: If you were in that theater and for some reason did not have your weapon on you, would you have engaged the shooter?

Howdy Pard!
It wasn't/and isn't/about me. It was/is about those folks who were innocent victims of the assault. And if I could have engaged, I'd have tried to save some lives.
I know that aome would like to portray that in a fashion other than what it is, but I would believe I'd do what I could to save the lives of others. When I have done so in the past, I never gave a thought for my own life or safety. I saw a mortal threat to life, and acted. While it is certainly not fashionable these days, there is the concept "No greater love than one willing to lay down his life for another." It is why some folks enter law enforcement, or volunteer for the military. And they certainly ain't a bunch of Zimmerman types, and the suggestion itself is insulting to those folks who freely put their own lives on the line every day of the year!

But this is another diversion from the story... it ain't about you or your opinion, nor about me or mine. It is about those folks who were viciously attacked on a night out to the movies with their families. They deserve better from us!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Pigcommander13

I don't know this for a fact. Heard on the 630 am Khow morning talk show from a caller stating the theater has a 'No knives or firearms' sign posted at the entrance. I've never been to this movie theater, but it would make sense to me that this tragic incident took place in a gun free zone.
"Semper Fi," pig commander13

Medic1210

While I may or may not carry in a theatre (illegal in NC), this is a situation that I feel even having a gun wouldn't have helped much. This guy popped tear gas, was wearing a bullet proof vest and a riot helmet as well as a gas mask. What could I honestly have been able to do in this situation? Not a dang thing but hide under the seats and hope he didn't see me. He had all the advantages. Shooting at him with your eyes watering closed from tear gas, in a dark theater would be a death sentence. The noise of gunfire, the darkness, the tear gas would have been so disorienting that you would have no clue he had on a vest or a helmet. If you were actually able to find the shooter and take a shot, you would most likely hit his vest, and he would be able to calmly mow you down. Definitely not a situation I would ever want to be in.

HankT

State Researcher
While I may or may not carry in a theatre (illegal in NC), this is a situation that I feel even having a gun wouldn't have helped much. This guy popped tear gas, was wearing a bullet proof vest and a riot helmet as well as a gas mask. What could I honestly have been able to do in this situation? Not a dang thing but hide under the seats and hope he didn't see me. He had all the advantages. Shooting at him with your eyes watering closed from tear gas, in a dark theater would be a death sentence. The noise of gunfire, the darkness, the tear gas would have been so disorienting that you would have no clue he had on a vest or a helmet. If you were actually able to find the shooter and take a shot, you would most likely hit his vest, and he would be able to calmly mow you down. Definitely not a situation I would ever want to be in.

Excellent analysis. A big pail of ice-cold reality water in the face, this is.

Aspiring CC heroes (including me), please take heed.

Freedom1Man

I believe that this was a staged event. Look at the UN treaty that is supposed to have some action taken on it in one week.

I believe this guy is a government stooge plain and simple. It benefits those in power by giving them an excuse to attack white gun owners. The Zimmerman case failed to do that once people learned that he was not white.

Besides at movie at that time of night. Why would there be many children at all? I, as a child, never went to a movie that late especially during the week, my dad had to work and he would never have taken any of us at that time of 'day'.

This whole thing reeks of government staged event.

Last edited:

nobama

I heard (may be wrong) that Colorado has the same law as NC where you cant carry into a place that charges admission. So how could this have happened?? You can bet the anti freedom left moon bats will be using this to gain more gun control.

M-Taliesin

I heard (may be wrong) that Colorado has the same law as NC where you cant carry into a place that charges admission. So how could this have happened?? You can bet the anti freedom left moon bats will be using this to gain more gun control.

Howdy!
No, Colorado does not have such a law, but individual venues may post their location as off limits to handguns, etc.
Not that it did anything apart from keeping law abiding citizens from carrying at that location.
It certainly didn't hamper the shooter any.

Meanwhile, this is hardly a time for prosletyzing an ideology.
It is about an unfolding tragedy, and I'd think it only decent to focus on the wounded and the dead, rather than political stumping at this particular time.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

HankT

State Researcher
..Colorado does not have such a law, but individual venues may post their location as off limits to handguns, etc.
Not that it did anything apart from keeping law abiding citizens from carrying at that location.

Where has it been reported that any LACs at Theater 9 were kept from carrying their guns? Please cite a source. I'm kinda old school journalism . . .

There easily could have been one or more CCers in the crowd last night. We do not know, and it has not been reported from what I've seen so far.

I know that many CCers carry concealed in posted places. They either (say they) don't see the sign or rely on the adage that "concealed means concealed <grin>" or the premise that "it's not a violation unless you fail to leave if they ask you to do so."

People on gun forums talk about it all the time. I do it myself sometimes, if not barred by law. I learned about that from people on this forum.

M-Taliesin

Where has it been reported that any LACs at Theater 9 were kept from carrying their guns? Please cite a source. I'm kinda old school journalism . . .

There easily could have been one or more CCers in the crowd last night. We do not know, and it has not been reported from what I've seen so far.

I know that many CCers carry concealed in posted places. They either (say they) don't see the sign or rely on the adage that "concealed means concealed <grin>" or the premise that "it's not a violation unless you fail to leave if they ask you to do so."

People on gun forums talk about it all the time. I do it myself sometimes, if not barred by law. I learned about that from people on this forum.

Howdy Hank!
Okay, now I'm confused. I do not recall anything saying that LAC's were prohibited from carrying their guns. So I can't provide a source for something I haven't seen said. Perhaps it was somebody from another state or another forum, but I certainly didn't claim that in any of my posts.

And I agree with you that there may have been a CC'er or two in the crowd. As I wasn't there, I don't know what the situation was like in theater 9.
All we can do is speculate, and that's based on 2nd hand info.

It appears that various theater corporations may have a policy against guns on their premesis, but it isn't codified into law.
Yet, I see folks alluding to laws that do not exist here in Colorado. I do not know where that's coming from either.

Personally, I'd have CC'd if I had been there. Concealed means concealed. I like that.
But prefer OC when and where possible.
Might be an interesting day for OC around Colorado today!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Medic1210

Howdy Folks!
If all you really need is running shoes, why bother carrying a gun to weigh you down?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Be honest. What good would a gun be to you in this scenario? I'm talking reality here, not some fantasy land where you would somehow magically be unaffected by the deafening noise, dark surroundings, tear gas, and general chaos and panic around you? You honestly think you'd be some hero in this situation? Sorry, but this would be a death sentence for any wannabe hero. This gunman had all advantages stacked in his favor. I know my limitations.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

UPDATE: Sophisticated Explosive Device Found at Perp's Apartment

Howdy Folks!
The director for Colorado and Wyoming FBI has just stated they've found a "sophisticated explosive device" in the apartment of the theater shooter. They say they may be on scene for several hours or even several days. They are actively trying to disarm the device at this time.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

TFred

If anyone can provide a solid source showing that these theaters had a "no guns" policy, PLEASE post that source here. You can be very sure the mainstream media will go out of their way to NOT REPORT it, even if they find out that there is one.

We must get this information out to the conservative bloggers so that the nation will learn that this is the result of another business that has chosen to implement a deadly policy.

TFred

PS: As for the right time and place... you better believe this is the right time and place, I can ASSURE you, the anti-gunners will not "let any tragedy go to waste" and will be ALL OVER this to their best advantage. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury to sit on the side.

Last edited:

zack991

If anyone can provide a solid source showing that these theaters had a "no guns" policy, PLEASE post that source here. You can be very sure the mainstream media will go out of their way to NOT REPORT it, even if they find out that there is one.

We must get this information out to the conservative bloggers so that the nation will learn that this is the result of another business that has chosen to implement a deadly policy.

TFred

PS: As for the right time and place... you better believe this is the right time and place, I can ASSURE you, the anti-gunners will not "let any tragedy go to waste" and will be ALL OVER this to their best advantage. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury to sit on the side.

This is going to be one hell of a mess and too bad the police did not kill this POS. I am amazed at the comments at the other site that liberal thinking is to run and hide and pray for mercy. That the thought of a honest well trained citizen to shooting back and killing the pos would be a bad thing because he could possible hurt someone else in trying to be a "hero".

Last edited:

TFred

Just think about how this might have turned out if that guy in the Florida Internet Cafe had been there.

Makes me sick to my stomach to think that these facilities actually INVITE this sort of disaster upon their customers. Why do they hate them so?

TFred

mwaterous

I'd rather think we were all wannabe heroes than that we're just carrying for looks. If there was one or two people in that theatre carrying and they were unable to get off a shot because they a) didn't have their bearings and could not locate the shooter or b) were protecting their own families, then I hold no issue with them and am very happy they are alive and well. However if there was a dozen people carrying there and not a single one attempted to defend their ground then I call shame on them.

This was a scene out of a movie, but it wasn't a strike team; it was a single person. He didn't have an endless supply of tear gas and I'm not sure if you've seen tear gas go off but unless he had one for every room there was no way every last person in there was blinded. The pandemonium was probably more disorientating than the tear gas itself.

It's easy to say this now, being on the outside, and I fully expect to be torn apart for saying it. I just wish there was 12 people carrying there last night, or 24, or 36, and I wish one out of all of them had that calm cover them. Whether this one was one lunatic, or a type of false flag event, things would be a lot different right now if there had been a few people there last night with the constitution to react, pun fully intended.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
Here ya go!!!

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/07/robert-farago/cinemark-theaters-no-legal-firearms-allowed/

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...sions/89005-asked-leave-cinemark-theater.html

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?46023-Cinemark-Theaters
"I got a call today, from Dan Myers with Cinemark Corporate, and he informed me that Cinemark's official policy is that ONLY LEO'S CAN CARRY INTO THEIR THEATERS
NO CONCEALED WEAPONS, NO OC."

Hope that answers your question.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

TFred

549112_416751431708279_455457790_n.jpg

M-Taliesin

Howdy TFred!
To everything there is a seaon. A time for peace, and a time for war.
This is a time to respect those who suffered an outrage.
Let us not provide yet another.
If 'they' want to do so, it only illustrates the nature of their character.
Such won't go unnoticed!

If they take the low road, and we take the high road, it will not serve them well.
Allow them to be hoist by their own petards.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin