• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BREAKING NEWS: At Least 10 Dead, 20 Hurt in Aurora Colorado Shooting Spree

mobiushky

Howdy Mobi!
Gun activists will confront the political issues as they arise, at an appropriate time and manner. Today ain't the time, because events are still playing out, people are still suffering wounds, hospitals are still doing emergency surgery on victims, and we may see more lose their lives before the day is out.

This is about the folks who went out to enjoy a movie with their family, and the tragedy they endured instead.

I'll be among those to fight for gun rights in days to come, but today it is about the wounded and the dead.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

You left out the part where I explained my statement. My point is, during this time it important that we as gun owners portray the facts and the truth in our comments and when we talk to others throughout the day. Yes, this is about the families and the victims. My caution is that we should not allow the inevitable gun rights fight that is coming to cloud our comments and make us say things that are not correct. Or to say things like "Well I'd have shot him." Etc. That doesn't help the cause.

Yes, we need to be respectful of the victims. However, I doubt there are many of them or their families perusing this particular thread. So kind or unkind, our comments here are unlikely to be noticed. It's just really important that we not say things that are false while we discuss the events.

M-Taliesin

Yes, we need to be respectful of the victims. However, I doubt there are many of them or their families perusing this particular thread. So kind or unkind, our comments here are unlikely to be noticed. It's just really important that we not say things that are false while we discuss the events.

Howdy Pard!
Agreed. That being said, we don't know who will view these threads. We can't simply dismiss off hand what we don't know to be so.
Regardless of whether anybody sees these threads, it still ought not serve as a time for stumping a cause, one way or the other.
There will be a time for that. The focus today ought to be the tragedy itself, and if I speak of it out and about, and anybody wishes to express an opinion on guns and 2a rights, pro or anti, I'll say the same; it ain't the time for it. Just my humble little opinion.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

MackTheKnife

Im pretty darn sure that there is no guns allowed in that theatre. How differently would it have gone if there would have been someone OC'ing or CC' ing in that theatre. But a lot of anti gun advocates are going to feed off this shooting.

Cinemark's official firearms policy is no OC/CC except for LEOs. I looked this up and found a previous thread on this site from Virginia where an OC member posted the reply from Cinemark to his request.
I don't know if the shooter used CS or OC, but having to fight through if hit with OC is a bitch. CS ain't that bad. I wonder if there was anyone there in Theater 9 that was CC'ing but couldn't get a clear shot. If there was, and he had been able to shoot, there might have been less carnage. That 71 year-old guy in FL at the internet cafe stopped anyone from being injured during the attempted robbery. The perps had a pistol and a baseball bat. The old guy fired on the move with a .380, hit one of the perps, and did not shoot any innocents.

mobiushky

Howdy Pard!
Agreed. That being said, we don't know who will view these threads. We can't simply dismiss off hand what we don't know to be so.
Regardless of whether anybody sees these threads, it still ought not serve as a time for stumping a cause, one way or the other.
There will be a time for that. The focus today ought to be the tragedy itself, and if I speak of it out and about, and anybody wishes to express an opinion on guns and 2a rights, pro or anti, I'll say the same; it ain't the time for it. Just my humble little opinion.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I don't disagree with you. But I will say that when one side has no common decency anymore and immediately jumps out on any media outlet they can to tout their cause, I have a lot of trouble with the idea of sitting in quiet reflection. I feel horrible for the families and the victims. But I'm sure as heck not going allow crap like this:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78756.html

http://washingtonexaminer.com/cnns-...its-gun-laws/article/2502695?custom_click=rss

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2012/07/20/abc-links-colorado-mass-killer-tea-party

and more to go without any comment. We should remember the families. We should feel no reason to stop from condemning idiots who are already trying to use this crisis to take away our rights. The loss of life is sad and sobering.

M-Taliesin

I don't know if the shooter used CS or OC, but having to fight through if hit with OC is a bitch. CS ain't that bad. I wonder if there was anyone there in Theater 9 that was CC'ing but couldn't get a clear shot. If there was, and he had been able to shoot, there might have been less carnage.

Howdy Amigo!
I agree 100%. To my mind, it would have been better to try and fail than not tried at all. That's just me.
This is the worst thing since Columbine around these parts. Very sad, terribly tragic.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mobiushky

Cinemark's official firearms policy is no OC/CC except for LEOs. I looked this up and found a previous thread on this site from Virginia where an OC member posted the reply from Cinemark to his request.
I don't know if the shooter used CS or OC, but having to fight through if hit with OC is a bitch. CS ain't that bad. I wonder if there was anyone there in Theater 9 that was CC'ing but couldn't get a clear shot. If there was, and he had been able to shoot, there might have been less carnage. That 71 year-old guy in FL at the internet cafe stopped anyone from being injured during the attempted robbery. The perps had a pistol and a baseball bat. The old guy fired on the move with a .380, hit one of the perps, and did not shoot any innocents.

Foxnews has a first hand account from a guy sitting in the 2nd row.

James Wilburn was sitting in the second row of theater 9 after midnight when an emergency door opened and a man entered, the Denver Post reports.
"He was dressed in black," Wilburn told the newspaper. "Wearing a flack jacket and a gas mask."
The man was carrying a shotgun and had a rifle strapped to his back, Wilburn said. The gunman then dropped a canister, causing a noxious gas to spew out. He raised the shotgun and repeatedly fired toward the back of the theater.
Wilburn and three friends dove to the floor, hiding behind seats in front of them. The gunman was only five or six feet away, he said.
Once the shotgun was empty, the gunman calmly dropped it to the floor, took the rifle and went on firing. Wilburn heard roughly 30 shots, the Denver Post reports.

M-Taliesin

This is truly a tragic situation. Let’s pray for the victims and their families but be prepared for the political spin. I’m sure media and liberal types will label this freak who committed this crime as a “Right Wing Nut Job”, “Tea Party Member”, “NRA member” ,etc. These tactics of course will be used to justify the “UN gun ban treaty, more federal gun laws, or state laws against the 2nd Amendment. We must be calm, alert and respond appropriately as the story develops.

Howdy Makarov!
So far, the only people I've seen making such labels appear to be on our side of the spectrum. I've been on this story since it started, shortly after midnight. Not one media voice has said anything about anything other than the shooter himself, and the victims of this tragedy. That's where the focus reasonably ought to be.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mobiushky

Howdy Makarov!
So far, the only people I've seen making such labels appear to be on our side of the spectrum. I've been on this story since it started, shortly after midnight. Not one media voice has said anything about anything other than the shooter himself, and the victims of this tragedy. That's where the focus reasonably ought to be.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Check my links. ABC news has already attempted to link him to the Tea Party.

M-Taliesin

Check my links. ABC news has already attempted to link him to the Tea Party.

Howdy Mobi!
I hadn't seen that one. I'll check into it. Meanwhile, I will be heading off to work today on maybe 2 hours of sleep!
Been tracking this thing all night.

If, at times, I seem cranky, I apologize in advance. Chalk it down to yet another long day with little sleep before another long day!
That, and the fact that I hate this kind of thing happening in Colorado.
I haven't slept, but certainly wept.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mobiushky

Howdy Mobi!
I hadn't seen that one. I'll check into it. Meanwhile, I will be heading off to work today on maybe 2 hours of sleep!
Been tracking this thing all night.

If, at times, I seem cranky, I apologize in advance. Chalk it down to yet another long day with little sleep before another long day!
That, and the fact that I hate this kind of thing happening in Colorado.
I haven't slept, but certainly wept.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Cannot blame you for the emotional state. Much the same way I am emotionally charged. Unfortunately I am angry more than saddened. I know that's probably not the best. I am truly saddened that people have suffered, believe me. I am more angry at the scum (and few other choice phrases) that did this. Truly angry. People are so depraved these days. Right now, my anger is directed at the perp. But it spills over to those who would use this tragedy for political gain. And those types are scum as well. Unfortunately, they are out all over the place voicing their lunacy.

M-Taliesin

Cannot blame you for the emotional state. Much the same way I am emotionally charged. Unfortunately I am angry more than saddened. I know that's probably not the best. I am truly saddened that people have suffered, believe me. I am more angry at the scum (and few other choice phrases) that did this. Truly angry. People are so depraved these days. Right now, my anger is directed at the perp. But it spills over to those who would use this tragedy for political gain. And those types are scum as well. Unfortunately, they are out all over the place voicing their lunacy.

Howdy Again Mobi!
Wow... that's a post I agree with emphatically. Yeah, I am very powerfully affected on an emotional level. I'm sure I'll be truly angry later on today, but my first reaction is a huge dose of sadness for the victims and their families. It is tragic in the extreme. I can imagine if my loved ones were among those victims. Or my friends. Terrible stuff.

And using this tragedy for scoring political points, on either side of the gun issue, is an outrage and insult.

The FBI director for Colorado and Wyoming have confirmed there is an explosive device (sophisticated in design) and are now trying to disarm the device!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

UPDATE: Sophisticated Explosive Device Found at Perp's Apartment

Howdy Folks!
The director for Colorado and Wyoming FBI has just stated they've found a "sophisticated explosive device" in the apartment of the theater shooter. They say they may be on scene for several hours or even several days. They are actively trying to disarm the device at this time.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mobiushky

Howdy Again Mobi!
Wow... that's a post I agree with emphatically. Yeah, I am very powerfully affected on an emotional level. I'm sure I'll be truly angry later on today, but my first reaction is a huge dose of sadness for the victims and their families. It is tragic in the extreme. I can imagine if my loved ones were among those victims. Or my friends. Terrible stuff.

And using this tragedy for scoring political points, on either side of the gun issue, is an outrage and insult.

The FBI director for Colorado and Wyoming have confirmed there is an explosive device (sophisticated in design) and are now trying to disarm the device!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I have a very good friend (18 yr old) who was planning to go to a midnight showing. He lives in Aurora. I don't know what theater he planned to go to, but I haven't seen or heard anything from him. Praying he didn't choose this one.

UPDATE: I think maybe he went to a different place. One of his posts last night on FB says he was near Columbine for the movie. So he probably wasn't near this one.

UPDATE2: He's fine. I did finally hear from him. He works at one of the local hospitals and mentioned that they are really busy right now so he hasn't been able to update anyone on his status.

UPDATE3: Last one... LOL. I just found out that 2 other young friends (ps, my wife and I work with a youth theater group a lot so we have a lot of teen aged friends) were supposed to go to that movie at that theater last night. But their mom told them she didn't think it was a good idea and kept them home. Prayers answered before they are even offered.

Last edited:

GTShooter

I dont understand, why would someone do this?? From the news Ive seen on the news one of the person killed was a 6 year old..... WTF?? Breaks my heart, I could not even imagine how I would feel if something happened to my little one.

skopro

I work at that mall.. We have a police station inside it next to my ATT store. I left on vacation on monday and came back 5pm yesterday. I forgot that the screening
was last night ,otherwise i would have been there. I guess the only good thing if i was there would have been that i had my pistol and newly acquired AK74 in the trunk, maybe as many ppl wouldn't have died. But
it wasn't meant be be. I kinda wish i was there though, maybe i would have been able to do something about it.

LoneEchoWolf

Just wow guys, I'm so mad sad and sick about this entire situation, its such a sad event and my prayers are with the friends and family's of the victims. I've been glued to the coverage, i guess there saying the youngest victim is a 3 month old baby. That man is sick. I'm so very sorry for everyone in Aurora, and Colorado in general, what a very sad day in Colorado history. If theres anything we can do to help we need to try to get out, even just to help the family's of our fellow Colorado Citizens.

mahkagari

I guess the only good thing if i was there would have been that i had my pistol and newly acquired AK74 in the trunk, maybe as many ppl wouldn't have died.

I had the same thought but this particular psychonutjob prepared himself with armor.