• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

14 Dead after gunman pepper sprays theater then opens fire into the crowd.

Horseman

This is why you have to carry everywhere it's legal, no exceptions, and avoid those places where it is not legal. How many lives could have been saved if someone in the theater had been carrying and willing to return fire?

twoskinsonemanns

What is sad is the comments the antis make after that article. They are so convinced guns are the devil, they immediately say things like "well at least there were no "hero's" in the audience with guns to make it worse!"
People truly are brain washed.

I hope I never have to be in that situation, I DON'T invite it... but I'll tell you this I was in a theater two weeks ago (of course it was posted with a image that appeared to mean don't bring revolvers unholstered....:uhoh:) and as I walked up the dark steps and picked a seat it went through my mind... what if some one came in shooting, where should I seat my loved ones to give them the best protection.... I had these thoughts.

tomm1963

What is sad is the comments the antis make after that article. They are so convinced guns are the devil, they immediately say things like "well at least there were no "hero's" in the audience with guns to make it worse!"

Yes brainwashed and uninformed. Incidents like this http://www.gainesville.com/article/20120714/ARTICLES/120719763 just don't sink in, how an armed citizen can end a potential tragedy in seconds.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/17405325...ed-robbers/?playlist_id=86856&intcmp=obinsite

protias

I read one report where most of the people were under 21, so they had no means of self defense because the government in its almighty wisdom thought it best for them to be defenseless.

How could this situation have gotten worse? You'd have one dead bad guy and less dead good guys.

Fallschirjmäger

When you have committed yourself to ideology over reason, you often find yourself having to do extraordinary mental gymnastics to justify your beliefs.

M

McX

gives new meaning to 3D. and ofcourse no one had a gun, law abiding wise, cause you cant carry in there i bet.

if it happened around here there would be the consolation of suing the theater. though people would still be dead. if one got to whack the silly, they'd be a hero hated by the left, and relegated probably to only free soda, and popcorn for life. getting so one is best home paying cable $7 a whack to watch crappy movies in the comfort of one's own home.

Last edited:

mwaterous

It pains me to agree with you given our current "discussion" in other places, but this is exactly why I can't stand reading comments attached to online media. Everybody is so brave behind their keyboard that you get the truly idiotic sides of people coming out, with absolutely no common sense or thought process of any kind to be found.

How hard is it to understand that because there were not enough armed citizens in that theatre this man was permitted to carry on without being hindered? Now our tax dollars are going to be paying for his trial to go on for god knows how long, when he should have been shot repeatedly on the spot and never took another breath of our hard earned air again.

Horseman

Three weeks ago I took my son to a movie. I explained why we were sitting where we were sitting, and told him what I would be doing if we had an active shooter. Of course, this was in the context of explaining to him the laws and expectations concerning carrying, using myself as an example. I think that those of us who are fathers should routinely have these discussions with our families.

bigdaddy1

Three weeks ago I took my son to a movie. I explained why we were sitting where we were sitting, and told him what I would be doing if we had an active shooter. Of course, this was in the context of explaining to him the laws and expectations concerning carrying, using myself as an example. I think that those of us who are fathers should routinely have these discussions with our families.

Its sad that we are forced to plan for such an occurance.

Captain Nemo

interesting that this quote from obama has mysteriously been omitted from more recent articles.

President Barack Obama said he was saddened by the "horrific and tragic shooting," pledging that his administration was "committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded."

Something they aren't telling us? I thought they already had the perpitrator in custody at the time he made trhis comment.

twoskinsonemanns

It pains me to agree with you given our current "discussion" in other places, but this is exactly why I can't stand reading comments attached to online media. Everybody is so brave behind their keyboard that you get the truly idiotic sides of people coming out, with absolutely no common sense or thought process of any kind to be found.

How hard is it to understand that because there were not enough armed citizens in that theatre this man was permitted to carry on without being hindered? Now our tax dollars are going to be paying for his trial to go on for god knows how long, when he should have been shot repeatedly on the spot and never took another breath of our hard earned air again.

Ha! Don't be pained too much. I had to go back a look through my last posts to know what you were talking about! I had no idea who you were and don't carry grudges. ;) But anyway..
These people say the most incredibly stupid things. Actually even on this forum is some of the other thread about the shooting people are saying the same thing. No good guys with a gun could have made a difference. The best thing to do even if you were armed is cower in a corner or run. It is sad.

E6chevron

Ha! Don't be pained too much. I had to go back a look through my last posts to know what you were talking about! I had no idea who you were and don't carry grudges. ;) But anyway..
These people say the most incredibly stupid things. Actually even on this forum is some of the other thread about the shooting people are saying the same thing. No good guys with a gun could have made a difference. The best thing to do even if you were armed is cower in a corner or run. It is sad.

I understand that the terrorist had some body armor on, I don't know exactly what, yet.

However, keep in mind, that:

1. I am sure his weapons were not armored, 9mm handgun slugs and up, would definitely damage the trigger group, and magazine throat and magazine of an AR-15, or a shotgun. A 100 round drum magazine is a large target, and somewhat fragile. Denting the receiver will also take the weapon out.

2. Whatever is used for a faceplate or a screen, even on a bomb squad helmet, will quickly lose visibility after receiving bullet strikes.

3. Gloves or mitts on the hands, that have enough dexterity to fire and reload a weapon or shoot a handgun, will not provide much protection to the hands. Bones in the fingers and wrists will be broken and blood will be lost, and unless the shooter was shotup with speed or painkillers, the pain will quickly be disabling. Basically you just need to cripple 1 hand to end it: when the terrorist can only shoot 1 handgun at a time, it will be over soon.

4. Shots at the lower legs and feet, especially when moving, will throw the shooter off balance and down on the ground. It is not easy to get upright and reoriented while wearing all this gear, especially while taking hits.

None of the above shots would be easy, or safe. But, they could have made a difference. Multiple defenders would make a BIG difference, so the terrorist could not concentrate his fire, for long.

-------------------------------------------------

I watched the Dark Knight Rises, tonight at an unposted movie theater. It was well attended. I sat a few seats in from the aisle, with the only front exit in a close field of fire. 3 times an usher checked the front exit during the movie. I checked it before I sat down.

I checked the front exit visually a lot more often than that. My XDM had the long magazine in it, and a spare in the jacket pocket.

One thing the Israelis are right about: you cannot let terrorists stop your activities, chase you up a tree, or down a hole.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Sounds as this shooter had lots of armor on he would have been tough to take out with handgun rounds.

Remember the North hollywood bank robbers, they took a lot of shotgun and handgun hits.

Wouldn't have been easy but should would have tried.

Hopefully with some thing more then a subcompact 380 or the like.

This is where I high cap pistol is very handy gives one a lot more rounds to find a weak spot.

Also to keep him busy.

oliverclotheshoff

E6 just to answer your im not sure what he had statement early reports say he had a balistic helmet, kevlar vest, neck guard, tact pants tact boots, gloves, gas mask and was hoped up on vicadin

Last edited:

bigdaddy1

I know there is a lot of talk about how difficult it would be to shoot back in a situation like this, with armour and smoke and confusion. But I would rather be armed with a chance than unarmed with none.

jonsue

I understand that the terrorist had some body armor on, I don't exactly what, yet.

However, keep in mind, that:

1. I am sure his weapons were not armored, 9mm handgun slugs and up, would definitely damage the trigger group, and magazine throat and magazine of an AR-15, or a shotgun. A 100 round drum magazine is a large target, and somewhat fragile. Denting the receiver will also take the weapon out.

2. Whatever is used for a faceplate or a screen, even on a bomb squad helmet, will quickly lose visibility after receiving bullet strikes.

3. Gloves or mitts on the hands, that have enough dexterity to fire and reload a weapon or shoot a handgun, will not provide much protection to the hands. Bones in the fingers and wrists will be broken and blood will be lost, and unless the shooter was shotup with speed or painkillers, the pain will quickly be disabling. Basically you just need to cripple 1 hand to end it: when the terrorist can only shoot 1 handgun at a time, it will be over soon.

4. Shots at the lower legs and feet, especially when moving, will throw the shooter off balance and down on the ground. It is not easy to get upright and reoriented while wearing all this gear, especially while taking hits.

None of the above shots would be easy, or safe. But, they could have made a difference. Multiple defenders would make a BIG difference, so the terrorist could not concentrate his fire, for long.

-------------------------------------------------

I watched the Dark Knight Rises, tonight at an unposted movie theater. It was well attended. I sat a few seats in from the aisle, with the only front exit in a close field of fire. 3 times an usher checked the front exit during the movie. I checked it before I sat down.

I checked the front exit visually a lot more often than that. My XDM had the long magazine in it, and a spare in the jacket pocket.

One thing the Israelis are right about: you cannot let terrorists stop your activities, chase you up a tree, or down a hole.

This is one of the many reasons why I installed a Laser on my Glock.

E6chevron

I'm interested in the release of better information as to the protection worn and the tactical situation.

There will be a very good discussion, then.