• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CO Shooting

ken243

Another reason why no carry zones should be repealed in Michigan and all other states.

M-Taliesin

They got what they voted for.

Howdy Stainless!
I'm a Coloradoan, and surely do not know of any such vote you refer to.
Could you please post a reference to such vote that you allude to here?

The only thing that might have any relevance would be corporate policy prohibiting guns in their theaters.
There ain't no law prohibiting carry in such places.
So if you can just post a link to correct my lack of knowledge of C.R.S. code, I'd be very appreciative.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

You arent represented by elected officials that make laws?

Howdy!
Of course we are. We just don't happen to have voted, as suggested, on any such laws.
In fact, we haven't got many laws prohibiting carry anywhere in our state outside of Denver, where OC is prohibited.
City and county buildings. What does that have to do with this incident? There are no laws prohibiting carrying a firearm in public places such as theaters.
So what is the relevant law? I am purely unaware of any in the Colorado Revised Statutes.
As it was brought up, as though it is on the books, I'd like to see it in writing. Link, please?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Ezerharden

Howdy Stainless!
I'm a Coloradoan, and surely do not know of any such vote you refer to.
Could you please post a reference to such vote that you allude to here?

The only thing that might have any relevance would be corporate policy prohibiting guns in their theaters.
There ain't no law prohibiting carry in such places.
So if you can just post a link to correct my lack of knowledge of C.R.S. code, I'd be very appreciative.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Please forgive Stainless, he sometimes suffers from verbal diarrhea coupled with a cranial disconnect.

Back OT. Not sure who takes a 3 month old to a midnight movie. I know I never did. But either way, the whole GFZ concept isn't stopping any crime, only enabling it more and more. I just can't believe that some sheeple still think these GFZ's will keep them safe.

TheQ

Assuming you have a gun, what will you do in a crowded theater in heavy smoke with a armored gun man 50 feet away?

Open fire in the cloudy mist and hope for the best...?

Or push your family to the ground, lay on them, and pull your firearm to be ready to fire in case he gets close enough for you to have a good shot?

Ezerharden

Assuming you are not in a "Criminal Empowerment Zone" and you can either CC or OC, and assuming the individual has a rifle, you better pray he doesn't see you before he gets close enough or it won't matter, you are likely dead anyway. Of course if more people were allowed to/chose to be armed odds are he would have been close enough for someone to take the shot.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

Assuming you are not in a "Criminal Empowerment Zone" and you can either CC or OC, and assuming the individual has a rifle, you better pray he doesn't see you before he gets close enough or it won't matter, you are likely dead anyway. Of course if more people were allowed to/chose to be armed odds are he would have been close enough for someone to take the shot.

Well, for one, Stainless I didn't think theaters were inherently PFZs unless:
A: They have a capacity of over 2500 or
B: They have a liquor license.

In Michigan, I mean. I am aware this incident happened in CO

Am I incorrect here?

Secondly:
TheQ said:
Assuming you have a gun, what will you do in a crowded theater in heavy smoke with a armored gun man 50 feet away?

Or push your family to the ground, lay on them, and pull your firearm to be ready to fire in case he gets close enough for you to have a good shot?

I have been thinking about this, since I'm seeing the movie tonight, and frankly it depends. Is it tiered seating? How smoky was the room? Are you with family who you are responsible for protecting or are you alone? It sounded like the gunman was firing from the aisle into the crowd. Depending on where you were sitting, theres a decent chance of having a clear shot and even decent cover depending on the layout of the theater.

Just because his chest is armored does not mean his head, arms, and legs are too, and in a situation like that I would think, provided you can do so safely, you should shoot whatever is available, for as long as it is available, until something else becomes available.

Use your own judgement but look at the sides of the theater in the below picture.

11-600-445-empty_movie_theater-195_100_320_210.png

Best image I could find, but the local Star has walls like this that go from the top of the tiered seating area [about 20 feet up] to about midway though the theater, with the entrances being down that hallway and underneath the seats/projection booth. That setup would allow for decent cover and a relatively clear shooting lane, depending on how obscuring the gas was. Especially considering that, since there are exits on both sides, the crowd will likely run towards the side where the gunman isn't

...so, depends on a lot of factors.

stainless1911

Banned
Well, for one, Stainless I didn't think theaters were inherently PFZs unless:
A: They have a capacity of over 2500 or
B: They have a liquor license.

In Michigan, I mean. I am aware this incident happened in CO

Am I incorrect here?

No you're right.

The most important factor in being able to defend yourself from a gun, is to bring yours.

Evil Creamsicle

Excellent points Evil Creamsicle. However why did you quote me then reference Stainless?

'Cause I couldn't find the reply button, I hit reply with quote on accident. lol.

Also, I didn't originally quote TheQ, so your quote mentioned CEZ's and the 'do you shoot or not' scenario, both of which I referenced. I responded to Stainless directly though because he originally raised the question.

ETA: I think its as important to discuss, plan, and practice what to do in a 'crowded room' scenario as it is a back-alley confrontation scenario, since different factors will affect your response. I think this is a very valuable conversation we're having.

EATA: Also, this is one of those rare scenarios where OC might get you targeted first. Discuss?

Last edited:

sasha601

What could of been done to stop this idiot by the armed "good" guys depended on a lot of factors that were specific at the time of incident. However, having several armed people in that theater could of provided an opportunity to take this guy down early enough in a spree.