Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: help writing local theater about gun policy please

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    631

    help writing local theater about gun policy please

    Ok, so the johnson creek AMC theater on hwy 26 is posted (at least last time i was there. wife was nice enough to point it out since i didn't notice it). Well after reading the article about the batman movie theater shooting
    http://www.allproudamericans.com/Bat...n-Theater.html

    i was wondering if somebody here could help me put together a letter (more like write one for me. I'm not really sure where to start other than to explain how/what i feel, and use the article as reference) that I could e-mail to AMC through their "contact us" on their website.
    http://www.amctheatres.com/contact

    (and i know it makes no sense, but on forums i don't bother much with proper capitalization and punctuation, but when i'm writing something for business, i make sure i cross my t's and dot my i's. just in case any of you were worried about that. LOL)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member Trip20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wausau Area
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio_vette View Post
    (and i know it makes no sense, but on forums i don't bother much with proper capitalization and punctuation, but when i'm writing something for business, i make sure i cross my t's and dot my i's. just in case any of you were worried about that. LOL)
    That's a shame. Here, more than anywhere, you're an ambassador for the firearm/carry community.

    With regard to the letter -- you start by stating you're not sure where to start, then mention the exact topics you should cover: how you feel, the issue in Colorado...etc.

    My only advice would be to keep it short, to the point, factual and with out an accusatory or angry tone.

  3. #3
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    Maybe wait a few weeks? I get annoyed when there is a tragedy like this and the talking heads use it as an excuse to spew about gun control. They use the tragedy to push their own agenda.

  4. #4
    Regular Member bigdaddy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southsider der hey
    Posts
    1,320
    Although I cant say for sure, I would be very surprised if the Colorado theater did not prohibit carry. The Colorado theater would actually be a perfect example of how posting no weapons sign is as useless as our POTUS. The criminal didn't stop once he saw the sign, had there been someone in there able to protect him/herself the body count could have been much lower.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    197
    I agree with TyGuy on this one; give it some time for the families of the victims to mourn. Once it becomes a statistic, use it as part of your ammunition, but don't beat anyone with it while they're down. This should be a call for defensive rights, but it's going to take a lot of tact given the subject matter.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Jay Jacobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    Although I cant say for sure, I would be very surprised if the Colorado theater did not prohibit carry.
    It's my understanding there was a "no guns allowed" sign on the door
    The Colorado theater would actually be a perfect example of how posting no weapons sign is as useless as our POTUS. The criminal didn't stop once he saw the sign, had there been someone in there able to protect him/herself the body count could have been much lower.
    I agree on both counts, though I doubt the media will mention it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    631
    not sure if i misunderstood or not, but i did NOT intend to write the theater that the shooting happened at. I was talking about writing to the local theaters here in watertown.


    BUT............my wife wanted to go see the new batman movie, so we went, and i swear i didn't see anymore anti-gun signs on the door. so i drove past the other one in town, and couldn't see the sign from the street anymore either (entry door is on the sidewalk, so not hard to see from the car).

    so either somebody else already beat me to talking to them about it, or they just came to their senses. Either way I'm happy, because now i'll feel much more comfortable taking my 3year old there.

  8. #8
    Regular Member bigdaddy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southsider der hey
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio_vette View Post
    not sure if i misunderstood or not, but i did NOT intend to write the theater that the shooting happened at. I was talking about writing to the local theaters here in watertown.


    BUT............my wife wanted to go see the new batman movie, so we went, and i swear i didn't see anymore anti-gun signs on the door. so i drove past the other one in town, and couldn't see the sign from the street anymore either (entry door is on the sidewalk, so not hard to see from the car).

    so either somebody else already beat me to talking to them about it, or they just came to their senses. Either way I'm happy, because now i'll feel much more comfortable taking my 3year old there.
    I at least understood your intention, I was talking about using the Colorado as a pertinent example.
    I hope those theaters voluntarily removed those useless signs because they saw the futility of them.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

  9. #9
    Regular Member Old Grump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Blue River, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    387
    That theater is part of the Cinemark chain and they have always had a very strict policy against guns inside their theaters or on their property. Doesn't seem to have helped much. My guess is they will be even stricter about the no gun policy and it will stay that way till a couple more copy cats happen and people stop coming to the theater. Th9is should be poi8nted out politely. It won't help in the short run but if they start losing money they will start remembering the letters from people who have decided to not use their services any longer.
    Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

  10. #10
    Regular Member Horseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    55
    good article - mabe this will give you some ideas

    http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...-shot_07202012

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    here's a letter idea for ya:

    I am a frequent customer of your establishment. But I will not abide by your desire to disarm me and leave me defenseless. You have no security at your establishment and I doubt a criminal will abide by your "no firearms" policy.

    And I will still continue to be a patron of your establishment; I hope you understand the need for me to continue to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.

    See you soon!

  12. #12
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    here's a letter idea for ya:

    I am a frequent customer of your establishment. But I will not abide by your desire to disarm me and leave me defenseless. You have no security at your establishment and I doubt a criminal will abide by your "no firearms" policy.

    And I will still continue to be a patron of your establishment; I hope you understand the need for me to continue to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.

    See you soon!
    Advocating that we start breaking the (Wisconsin)law is, with out any question, the wrong thing to do, and it is dumb.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Maine Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ukraine & Bangor Maine
    Posts
    235
    Every time some one points at the Theater shooting I'm pointing at the Florida (internet cafe) case to tell them you NEED Armed LACs who will stop morons who don't care about the law or their misguided policies.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

    Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

    Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    here's a letter idea for ya:

    I am a frequent customer of your establishment. But I will not abide by your desire to disarm me and leave me defenseless. You have no security at your establishment and I doubt a criminal will abide by your "no firearms" policy.

    And I will still continue to be a patron of your establishment; I hope you understand the need for me to continue to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.

    See you soon!
    That'll learn them! I mean, you are still giving them money...Oh, and breaking the law...
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •