Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Walmart

OC Walmart

So I OC'ed today at my local walmart .. never had a problem before .. I was approched by an employee who asked what I was doing .. I responed .. shopping .. what do you plan on doing with that gun ... I responded,I dont understand your question .. He repeated it and added I was scaring the other customers .. I asked which ones .. he said it don't matter I would have to leave. I informed him that I carry all the time and walmart has no problem with it .. why should he. The manager showed up and kindly asked me to take my purchases and checkout. come back another time ..

I responed I have never had a problem before and instead of causing anymore problems Ill just leave my cart here with you and go somewhere else.. I dont wanna scare the cashier..

So how to respond when the store doesnt care about OC, but the customer does and asks you to leave anyway
    Last edited by Yiteurp; 07-20-2012 at 12:17 PM.

I had a cashier ask me on my 1st day of OC if I was with the police. "No, I'm just a law abiding citizen." I smiled, she smiled and that was that.

I've been back several times since and even walked right by managers and CSRs with no comments. The folks with the ammo keys ask what I'm carrying, but no body seems to be scared yet.

I would say that your manager who said to come back another time was indicating that you were ok, they just didn't want to lose the scaredy cat customer too.

I'm gonna print up a bunch of "No gun = no $$$" cards soon, just in case. I'll post em up if anyone wants em.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

Walmart is explicitly ok with OC. Search for the voicemail that they left, or pm me and I will email it to you. I keep it on my phone for just this reason. If I ever get hassled at a Walmart, I can just play the file for them.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Expat View Post
    I'm gonna print up a bunch of "No gun = no $$$" cards soon, just in case. I'll post em up if anyone wants em.
    Please do, I'll have vistaprint.com run off a bunch for me. :-)

Find out who your district manager is and contact him/her. A friend of mine contacted our DM for me and the results were instantaneous. Have never had another encounter in Wal Mart.

Unfortunately, I do believe the manager who accosted me and tried to treat me like a mangy old dog got fired as I have never seen her in there again. I say unfortunately because I hate to see anyone lose a job the way the economy is.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

1st timer OC'ing

I OC'd my first time last weekend (15 July 2012) in our Wal Mart. I noticed four pairs of eyes zoning in on my hip. That was it. Four in the entire store. It was funny though, I heard a kid say "Momma that man has a gun." to which she replied "So what?" Open Carrying is new to me and it's something I'll have to do more often. Oh by the way, I'm new to the forum. It looks like there's a good thing going on here.

H

Will do Merlin.

Welcome to the crew BigH!

Lots of experienced folks here to help you on your road to Freedom. Its only been a week for me and I already stopped scanning for "noticers". I'm just another cuckold out shopping with SWMBO now.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Oathkeepers

Campaign Veteran
    Since Walmarts carry liquor (for off-site consumption) wouldn't THAT be a barrier to OCing in their stores -- at least in SOME states?

With 50 states and different guns laws depending upon which state a Walmart is in, I don't think one can draw a blanket conclusion that "Walmart is okay with OCing."

Even if Walmart Corporate WAS "okay" with OCing in its stores, a STATE might not be "okay" with OCing in a store that sells alcohol, even if it is for off-site consumption. For example, in NM you can't OC in ANY store that sells alcohol for off-site consumption, but you CAN (since the law was changed not too long ago) CC in those stores (used to be you couldn't CC in them, either).

I'm just saying be careful out there when OCing...you may inadvertently be in a place OCing illegally.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 07-21-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
    Since Walmarts carry liquor (for off-site consumption) wouldn't THAT be a barrier to OCing in their stores -- at least in SOME states?

With 50 states and different guns laws depending upon which state a Walmart is in, I don't think one can draw a blanket conclusion that "Walmart is okay with OCing."

Even if Walmart Corporate WAS "okay" with OCing in its stores, a STATE might not be "okay" with OCing in a store that sells alcohol, even if it is for off-site consumption. For example, in NM you can't OC in ANY store that sells alcohol for off-site consumption, but you CAN (since the law was changed not too long ago) CC in those stores (used to be you couldn't CC in them, either).

I'm just saying be careful out there when OCing...you may inadvertently be in a place OCing illegally.
    The "sells liquor for consumption" does not mean off-site consumption. It means a place that sells and serves alcoholic beverages to its patrons on site.

Edit: Just noticed you said some states ban OC in stores that sell alcohol for off site consumption. Can you provide a link to this law?
    Last edited by Medic1210; 07-21-2012 at 12:11 PM.

I don't have the citation at hand, but Wal Mart corporate policy is to follow state law, if OC is legal to do in a store selling all that WalMArt sells, then you should be fine. This means you need to understand your state law, which varies. In Washington OC is completely legal even though Wal Mart now sells liquor, since the State stopped using government stores for it. The only liquor related rule in my state is no carry at all in the part of an establishment posted 21plus.

I am a Backroom Supervisor @ Walmart. Not only do I see people OC at least once a week. I have carried in many WM, even the one I work at... (It was on my day off.) I have never seen an associate question an OC'er, or seen anybody ever getting kicked out for OC'ing. Our store especially has one of the best ammo, and long gun selections vs other WM's in the area. So we get a lot of gun people in our store. You can call corp, or the number to the regional manager, and district manager should be in customer service. Also I'm in AZ OC is common here, so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    I don't have the citation at hand, but Wal Mart corporate policy is to follow state law, if OC is legal to do in a store selling all that WalMArt sells, then you should be fine. This means you need to understand your state law, which varies. .
    This. Its the correct policy. Its exactly what we are striving for WRT OC on private property. The right policy is no policy. Let law dictate. I truly applaud Walmart for this, and I have told them as much. I recently signed up for a Sam's club membership, and told them that their respect for my 2nd amendment rights was why. I specifically asked for the store manager so I could convey it in person, to make sure the message wasn't lost on the underlings.

For the anyone here that works at a Walmart, pass it on. Tell your managers that Walmarts non-policy on firearms carry is winning them a lot of good will in the gun community.

Walmart's policy to follow state laws is a very good public policy to have.

However, their policy does give the local manager some wiggle room to ask someone to leave; this is the caveat I've seen them utilized. Notify the regional manager and advise of your experience....my guess the manager won't get involved in the future unless you are causing a visible scene. YMMV
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Here's the link to the file, for anyone that wants it. No need to msg me, I put it up in my SkyDrive. Not mine, I got it from another post here a few years ago.

http://sdrv.ms/OUy6MD

Just listened to the VM mesage regarding OC in Walmart....ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

M recommendation...

We draft a respectful and professional letter to Walmart Corporate Office and thank them for recognizing our constitutional rights and how much it is appreciated. Explain to them that we will throw our customer support to their stores because of their stance on individual rights...etc., etc.

The thing is...we will leave our "No Gun...No Business" cards at businesses who will not recognize us, so why dont we recognize those businesses that do support us?

We will electronically sign it here on this forum ONLY so we can get a count of Opencarry.org members. No names...just end with Respectfully Yours, 1,780 law-abiding licensed gun owners. (something to that effect)

GONZO!!!
    Last edited by GONZO!!!; 07-23-2012 at 06:58 PM.

That thar is a fine idea Gonzo.

And since you brought it up you get to write the letter.

Oathkeepers

Interesting. Since our local Walmarts sell liquor, weapons, and ammo, I'm curious about our laws. I've seen people open carry, but never thought much about it. I've also seen people carry in weapons to the ammo sections to make sure they buy the correct stuff. I've never noticed any signs about "no weapons" which would be a bit hypocritical, in my opinion, since they sell the stuff. I need to pay attention next time I go to one of our stores.

Thanks for the heads up.

Good idea, Gonzo & Merlin.
    Last edited by SixGunGal; 07-31-2012 at 04:03 PM.

I OC at Walmarts here in Maine all the time. Never once had any run ins there. Was there today to pick up a site to store order I made in Windham, Maine. I had to talk to a handful of employees to get it and no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by CCinMaine View Post
    I OC at Walmarts here in Maine all the time. Never once had any run ins there. Was there today to pick up a site to store order I made in Windham, Maine. I had to talk to a handful of employees to get it and no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Yep same here in the Bangor area. It seems to be a non issue.

Oathkeepers

I had some cards made to recognize the business that do not deny us 2a. As soon as they arrive, I will be giving them out, and asking that they be turned over to the manager.

Ok, I drew up some basic cards. In classic Vistaprint.com style, they talked me out of the free option, and into buying something. But I am happy with what I settled on for me. Feel free to come up with your own. You can get 250 like this, B&W only, front-side only, for free + about $7 in shipping. I didn't figure that the card would have the desired effect in B&W, so I opted for color. I also wanted to be sure to include the URL and my contact info, so I opted for the backside as well. And 1000 instead of 250. 
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/at...9&d=1343113563

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/at...0&d=1343113582

Last edited by Merlin; 07-31-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Pics didn't quote as I expected

Pretty neat cards!
    watch your top knot !

Our Walmart just started carrying alcohol here in WA state due to a change in the law. Here in WA, guns are only prohibited in bars where people under 21 are not allowed. So I still OC there. To original OP, maybe repost on your state forum. Many employees that are holophobes do not know, or care to know state law or corporate policy.
    PS. great audio clip.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

I've used the search function here, also google, but couldn't find an answer. I'm new to the whole gun thing in general as Oct 7th in the basic pistol class was the first time i actually held/shot a gun. Been reading here and there to learn what I should about open/conceal carrying, where and where not to, basically all that I can while I wait for my permit application to be processed. From what I understand, banks are not federal property and carrying would be okay as long as they don't have a sign posted and people inside not freaking out. And Wal-Mart seems to accept it according to state law. So, if I see no signs (which pretty much goes to any place I might enter) in the only two entrances Wal-Mart has, am I'm safe to assume it's allowed. Now, what if this Wal-Mart has a bank inside? Of course no matter where you go, there's going to be a chance that you will get hassled for carrying, but with this place having a bank inside and no signs posted anywhere, would I be okay in doing so?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    I've used the search function here, also google, but couldn't find an answer. I'm new to the whole gun thing in general as Oct 7th in the basic pistol class was the first time i actually held/shot a gun. Been reading here and there to learn what I should about open/conceal carrying, where and where not to, basically all that I can while I wait for my permit application to be processed. From what I understand, banks are not federal property and carrying would be okay as long as they don't have a sign posted and people inside not freaking out. And Wal-Mart seems to accept it according to state law. So, if I see no signs (which pretty much goes to any place I might enter) in the only two entrances Wal-Mart has, am I'm safe to assume it's allowed. Now, what if this Wal-Mart has a bank inside? Of course no matter where you go, there's going to be a chance that you will get hassled for carrying, but with this place having a bank inside and no signs posted anywhere, would I be okay in doing so?
    Banks, S & Ls, etc. are most definitely not federal property - they are private lending institutions. Carrying in them is subject to state law and their policies. Most often these questions are best relegated to the individual state sub-forums.

Wal-Mart has a corporate policy of following the law of the state in which the store is located. Having a bank inside changes nothing with regard to Wal-Mart.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Mando -

Welcome to OCDO and to OCing.

Your state has some wrinkles that others of us think are peculiar - but that's what you have (for the moment).

Be sure to check the Conn forum and ask questions you may have. Look for announcements of meet&greet events.

Go to www.ccdl.us and see what those folks are trying to do. If you agree please support them by at least becoming a member, if not becoming active with them.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast