• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Walmart

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Our Walmart just started carrying alcohol here in WA state due to a change in the law. Here in WA, guns are only prohibited in bars where people under 21 are not allowed. So I still OC there. To original OP, maybe repost on your state forum. Many employees that are holophobes do not know, or care to know state law or corporate policy.
PS. great audio clip.

Mando

I've used the search function here, also google, but couldn't find an answer. I'm new to the whole gun thing in general as Oct 7th in the basic pistol class was the first time i actually held/shot a gun. Been reading here and there to learn what I should about open/conceal carrying, where and where not to, basically all that I can while I wait for my permit application to be processed. From what I understand, banks are not federal property and carrying would be okay as long as they don't have a sign posted and people inside not freaking out. And Wal-Mart seems to accept it according to state law. So, if I see no signs (which pretty much goes to any place I might enter) in the only two entrances Wal-Mart has, am I'm safe to assume it's allowed. Now, what if this Wal-Mart has a bank inside? Of course no matter where you go, there's going to be a chance that you will get hassled for carrying, but with this place having a bank inside and no signs posted anywhere, would I be okay in doing so?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've used the search function here, also google, but couldn't find an answer. I'm new to the whole gun thing in general as Oct 7th in the basic pistol class was the first time i actually held/shot a gun. Been reading here and there to learn what I should about open/conceal carrying, where and where not to, basically all that I can while I wait for my permit application to be processed. From what I understand, banks are not federal property and carrying would be okay as long as they don't have a sign posted and people inside not freaking out. And Wal-Mart seems to accept it according to state law. So, if I see no signs (which pretty much goes to any place I might enter) in the only two entrances Wal-Mart has, am I'm safe to assume it's allowed. Now, what if this Wal-Mart has a bank inside? Of course no matter where you go, there's going to be a chance that you will get hassled for carrying, but with this place having a bank inside and no signs posted anywhere, would I be okay in doing so?

Banks, S & Ls, etc. are most definitely not federal property - they are private lending institutions. Carrying in them is subject to state law and their policies. Most often these questions are best relegated to the individual state sub-forums.

Wal-Mart has a corporate policy of following the law of the state in which the store is located. Having a bank inside changes nothing with regard to Wal-Mart.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Mando -

Welcome to OCDO and to OCing.

Your state has some wrinkles that others of us think are peculiar - but that's what you have (for the moment).

Be sure to check the Conn forum and ask questions you may have. Look for announcements of meet&greet events.

Go to www.ccdl.us and see what those folks are trying to do. If you agree please support them by at least becoming a member, if not becoming active with them.

stay safe.

guitar_rockin

From a manager at Wal-Mart

Hello to everyone new member here. I am a manager at a Wal-Mart in Oklahoma, we just went open carry on Nov 1st. as you probably already know and seeing as Wal-mart is a popular place to carry, I wanted to chime in. Yes, Wal-Mart's policy is to follow the state law, unless you are employed by Wal-Mart then you cannot be in posession of a firearm while you are working, except in states that have exceptions for keeping in a locked vehicle. I can't speak for states that may have any other laws that would bar carrying in a Wal-Mart. Even though I am salaried, I can carry in any Wal-Mart if I am not working, same for hourly associates. With open carry being new to Oklahoma, the direction we received was basically unless someone has their gun out of their holster waiving it around, they are to be treated like any other customer. If someone has their firearm out of their holster we do not make contact with that person, just call police. I have heard of some people being watched or followed around, and unless you are suspected of shoplifting, by policy we cannot "survail" anyone while shopping, and certain criteria have to be met to begin survailance of a suspected shoplifter. If you are one of those people who watches their surroundings constantly, i.e. looks around a lot, this could be mistaken as being a possible shoplifter, as most shoplifters look around a lot to try and make sure they are not seen. Just go about your business and everything should be fine. It may vary from place to place as to how they handle a customer getting upset over another customer carrying a firearm, as different Wal-Marts may have different direction from their Market Managers. If a customer comes to me upset about it, I am simply going to inform them of the law, let them know that we follow the state law, and that unless they are causing a disturbance in some other way or remove their firearm from their holster, they are free to shop the same as everyone else. As I said in our market we are not supposed to take any action unless the person has their gun out of the holster. If a customer, reguardless of carrying a firearm or not, is causing a disturbance in some other way that affects the running of the business or other customers then we may ask them to leave, i.e. throwing things around, yelling at another customer, etc.... same as we have always done, firearm or no firearm. I know many people have a problem with or hate Wal-Mart, heck I probably hate that place as much as anyone some days, but I hope that Wal-Mart's stance on allowing citizens to carry would win some people back.

Just for legal reason:
None of the above comments are to reflect the views of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. These statements are of my own free will and soley the opinion of the author.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome and good to have you here guitar_rockin.

Appreciate the candid view from the inside - pleasant perspective.

If I may offer a suggestion - think paragraphs. A wall of print can be hard to read this time of day.

There are those that may joke about Wal-Mart, but they have very successfully filled a market need and we do spend our money where our rights are appreciated.
ani_tiphat.gif

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Snip ... Yes, Wal-Mart's policy is to follow the state law, unless you are employed by Wal-Mart then you cannot be in posession of a firearm while you are working, except in states that have exceptions for keeping in a locked vehicle.....

God I love Arizona Law! :banana::dude:

WalkingWolf

Walmart so far is the most gun friendly place, or seems so to me. The staff outside the greeter rarely says, or stares. I do get stares in the Fayetteville stores by customers, mostly because people are not from NC. I have noticed that most the greeters say "nice guns" when I enter, usually with a big grin, I appreciate that. I will have to see if they still say when I carry my beat up old Star.

The only problem I have ever encountered from Wally World had nothing to do with OC. I hate being asked for my receipt as I leave, and have a clerk rummage through my purchases without even knowing what they are looking for. I learned to just say "no thank you" and continue on my merry way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Walmart so far is the most gun friendly place, or seems so to me. The staff outside the greeter rarely says, or stares. I do get stares in the Fayetteville stores by customers, mostly because people are not from NC. I have noticed that most the greeters say "nice guns" when I enter, usually with a big grin, I appreciate that. I will have to see if they still say when I carry my beat up old Star.

The only problem I have ever encountered from Wally World had nothing to do with OC. I hate being asked for my receipt as I leave, and have a clerk rummage through my purchases without even knowing what they are looking for. I learned to just say "no thank you" and continue on my merry way.

Wal-Mart greeters and checkers have gone the way of the dinosaurs locally - cost savings move.

My favorite comment when they asked to check my purchases was "Are you accusing me of shop lifting?"

Still use that in place of "No thank you" occasionally at other stores using bag checkers. That procedure really ruffles my feathers because once I pay for something it is my personal property, not subject to the whims of others. They cough, they sneeze, then they handle my bag and merchandise - I don't think so!

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Since Walmarts carry liquor (for off-site consumption) wouldn't THAT be a barrier to OCing in their stores -- at least in SOME states?

With 50 states and different guns laws depending upon which state a Walmart is in, I don't think one can draw a blanket conclusion that "Walmart is okay with OCing."

Even if Walmart Corporate WAS "okay" with OCing in its stores, a STATE might not be "okay" with OCing in a store that sells alcohol, even if it is for off-site consumption. For example, in NM you can't OC in ANY store that sells alcohol for off-site consumption, but you CAN (since the law was changed not too long ago) CC in those stores (used to be you couldn't CC in them, either).

I'm just saying be careful out there when OCing...you may inadvertently be in a place OCing illegally.

Walmart follows state law; if state law makes carrying a firearm in an establishment that SELLS alcohol by the package for off-site consumption illegal, then obviously Walmarts (if they sell alcohol) in that state would not allow OC because it would not be allowed by state law.

Last edited:

moonie

Walmart follows state law; if state law makes carrying a firearm in an establishment that SELLS alcohol by the package for off-site consumption illegal, then obviously Walmarts (if they sell alcohol) in that state would not allow OC because it would not be allowed by state law.

I was unaware of a state law in any state that prevented this. Please cite.

ncwabbit

during last weeks travels out and about i needed tires so stopped at the grand island NE Walmart and arranged to purchase the tires and as the technician was assisting me in the parking lot on taking off the trailer i was towing commented..."you know you can't carry that gun in our store so you better have some place to lock it up!"

i looked puzzled and mentioned as far as i knew WalMart was a premire gun carrying establishment. "Nope" was the technicians retort. he was then asked to assist me in putting the trailer back on the hitch and i drove to the front of the store and asked for the manager. fortunately, both he and the district manager were there and we had a chat...seems the technician overstepped his authority in telling me to disarm. i smiled and then thanked both gentlemen for their time, telling them i hoped their tire sales quota was met for the month as i was not buying tires from their store.

wabbit

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
during last weeks travels out and about i needed tires so stopped at the grand island NE Walmart and arranged to purchase the tires and as the technician was assisting me in the parking lot on taking off the trailer i was towing commented..."you know you can't carry that gun in our store so you better have some place to lock it up!"

i looked puzzled and mentioned as far as i knew WalMart was a premire gun carrying establishment. "Nope" was the technicians retort. he was then asked to assist me in putting the trailer back on the hitch and i drove to the front of the store and asked for the manager. fortunately, both he and the district manager were there and we had a chat...seems the technician overstepped his authority in telling me to disarm. i smiled and then thanked both gentlemen for their time, telling them i hoped their tire sales quota was met for the month as i was not buying tires from their store.

You know, I love this story. You stood your ground in refusing to comply, got management involved to correct the situation, and then they got to see the emphasis of the seriousness of the situation by losing a KNOWN several-hundred dollar sale (after all it was YOUR time that was wasted during this entire process). THIS is the stuff that makes the difference and helps prevent recurrences. The degree to which the wrong employee is treated is between him and management, depending on his reasons, his repetition, or his ignorance.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Unfortunately, I do believe the manager who accosted me and tried to treat me like a mangy old dog got fired as I have never seen her in there again. I say unfortunately because I hate to see anyone lose a job the way the economy is.

And my thought here is that the economy did not lose a job. A person who was unfit for the position was traded for someone who was more qualified. You were helpful in someone's promotion, an opening that trickled down the line with promotions and the hiring of a new night-shift stockboy.

Last edited:

Mosnar87

Don't have the cite (I am on my phone) but MI law does not permit possession of any firearm on the premises of a liquor licensed establishment without a valid CPL (Concealed Pistol Licence) or an out of state equivalent.

For more info on the subject and cites of applicable laws, Google MSP update 86.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't have the cite (I am on my phone) but MI law does not permit possession of any firearm on the premises of a liquor licensed establishment without a valid CPL (Concealed Pistol Licence) or an out of state equivalent.
For more info on the subject and cites of applicable laws, Google MSP update 86.

MSP 86 does not address for "off-site consumption" nor OCing in such establishments that sell only in that manner.

MCL 28.425o provides that a person with a valid CPL shall not carry a concealed pistol in a pistol-free zone. First offense is a state civil infraction. The following is a list of the premises (excluding parking lots) included in the statute:

A bar or tavern where sale and consumption of liquor by the glass is the primary source of income (does not apply to owner or employee of the business).

http://miopencarry.org/sites/default/files/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(wc...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-425o

Mosnar87

MCL 750.234d prohibits possession of a firearm on the premises of an establishment licenced under the MI Liquor Control Code.

This includes places that sell packaged liquor for off site consumption. And once again I don't have the Cite.

BTW, my thanks go out to Grapeshot as his link to the MSP update 86 .pdf provided the cite I wanted to MCL 750.234d.

ETA. 234d has several exceptions, one of which is a CPL.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
MCL 750.234d prohibits possession of a firearm on the premises of an establishment licenced under the MI Liquor Control Code.

This includes places that sell packaged liquor for off site consumption. And once again I don't have the Cite.

BTW, my thanks go out to Grapeshot as his link to the MSP update 86 .pdf provided the cite I wanted to MCL 750.234d.

ETA. 234d has several exceptions, one of which is a CPL.

It would appear that An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws is part of the consideration.

This has had some discussion here before:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?97146-Open-carry-into-Meijer-Walmart

Still, I do not find where OC is illegal in an establishment that sells alcohol for only off site consumption. Guess we are going to need a cite that connects the dots.