• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Walmart

Yiteurp

So I OC'ed today at my local walmart .. never had a problem before .. I was approched by an employee who asked what I was doing .. I responed .. shopping .. what do you plan on doing with that gun ... I responded,I dont understand your question .. He repeated it and added I was scaring the other customers .. I asked which ones .. he said it don't matter I would have to leave. I informed him that I carry all the time and walmart has no problem with it .. why should he. The manager showed up and kindly asked me to take my purchases and checkout. come back another time ..

I responed I have never had a problem before and instead of causing anymore problems Ill just leave my cart here with you and go somewhere else.. I dont wanna scare the cashier..

So how to respond when the store doesnt care about OC, but the customer does and asks you to leave anyway

Last edited:

Maine Expat

I had a cashier ask me on my 1st day of OC if I was with the police. "No, I'm just a law abiding citizen." I smiled, she smiled and that was that.

I've been back several times since and even walked right by managers and CSRs with no comments. The folks with the ammo keys ask what I'm carrying, but no body seems to be scared yet.

I would say that your manager who said to come back another time was indicating that you were ok, they just didn't want to lose the scaredy cat customer too.

I'm gonna print up a bunch of "No gun = no $$$" cards soon, just in case. I'll post em up if anyone wants em.

Merlin

Walmart is explicitly ok with OC. Search for the voicemail that they left, or pm me and I will email it to you. I keep it on my phone for just this reason. If I ever get hassled at a Walmart, I can just play the file for them.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

SFCRetired

Find out who your district manager is and contact him/her. A friend of mine contacted our DM for me and the results were instantaneous. Have never had another encounter in Wal Mart.

Unfortunately, I do believe the manager who accosted me and tried to treat me like a mangy old dog got fired as I have never seen her in there again. I say unfortunately because I hate to see anyone lose a job the way the economy is.

BigHPacking

1st timer OC'ing

I OC'd my first time last weekend (15 July 2012) in our Wal Mart. I noticed four pairs of eyes zoning in on my hip. That was it. Four in the entire store. It was funny though, I heard a kid say "Momma that man has a gun." to which she replied "So what?" Open Carrying is new to me and it's something I'll have to do more often. Oh by the way, I'm new to the forum. It looks like there's a good thing going on here.

H

Maine Expat

Will do Merlin.

Welcome to the crew BigH!

Lots of experienced folks here to help you on your road to Freedom. Its only been a week for me and I already stopped scanning for "noticers". I'm just another cuckold out shopping with SWMBO now. :lol:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Since Walmarts carry liquor (for off-site consumption) wouldn't THAT be a barrier to OCing in their stores -- at least in SOME states?

With 50 states and different guns laws depending upon which state a Walmart is in, I don't think one can draw a blanket conclusion that "Walmart is okay with OCing."

Even if Walmart Corporate WAS "okay" with OCing in its stores, a STATE might not be "okay" with OCing in a store that sells alcohol, even if it is for off-site consumption. For example, in NM you can't OC in ANY store that sells alcohol for off-site consumption, but you CAN (since the law was changed not too long ago) CC in those stores (used to be you couldn't CC in them, either).

I'm just saying be careful out there when OCing...you may inadvertently be in a place OCing illegally.

Last edited:

Medic1210

Since Walmarts carry liquor (for off-site consumption) wouldn't THAT be a barrier to OCing in their stores -- at least in SOME states?

With 50 states and different guns laws depending upon which state a Walmart is in, I don't think one can draw a blanket conclusion that "Walmart is okay with OCing."

Even if Walmart Corporate WAS "okay" with OCing in its stores, a STATE might not be "okay" with OCing in a store that sells alcohol, even if it is for off-site consumption. For example, in NM you can't OC in ANY store that sells alcohol for off-site consumption, but you CAN (since the law was changed not too long ago) CC in those stores (used to be you couldn't CC in them, either).

I'm just saying be careful out there when OCing...you may inadvertently be in a place OCing illegally.

The "sells liquor for consumption" does not mean off-site consumption. It means a place that sells and serves alcoholic beverages to its patrons on site.

Edit: Just noticed you said some states ban OC in stores that sell alcohol for off site consumption. Can you provide a link to this law?

Last edited:

Vitaeus

I don't have the citation at hand, but Wal Mart corporate policy is to follow state law, if OC is legal to do in a store selling all that WalMArt sells, then you should be fine. This means you need to understand your state law, which varies. In Washington OC is completely legal even though Wal Mart now sells liquor, since the State stopped using government stores for it. The only liquor related rule in my state is no carry at all in the part of an establishment posted 21plus.

Morbidph8

I am a Backroom Supervisor @ Walmart. Not only do I see people OC at least once a week. I have carried in many WM, even the one I work at... (It was on my day off.) I have never seen an associate question an OC'er, or seen anybody ever getting kicked out for OC'ing. Our store especially has one of the best ammo, and long gun selections vs other WM's in the area. So we get a lot of gun people in our store. You can call corp, or the number to the regional manager, and district manager should be in customer service. Also I'm in AZ OC is common here, so YMMV.

Merlin

I don't have the citation at hand, but Wal Mart corporate policy is to follow state law, if OC is legal to do in a store selling all that WalMArt sells, then you should be fine. This means you need to understand your state law, which varies. .

This. Its the correct policy. Its exactly what we are striving for WRT OC on private property. The right policy is no policy. Let law dictate. I truly applaud Walmart for this, and I have told them as much. I recently signed up for a Sam's club membership, and told them that their respect for my 2nd amendment rights was why. I specifically asked for the store manager so I could convey it in person, to make sure the message wasn't lost on the underlings.

For the anyone here that works at a Walmart, pass it on. Tell your managers that Walmarts non-policy on firearms carry is winning them a lot of good will in the gun community.

Redbaron007

Walmart's policy to follow state laws is a very good public policy to have.

However, their policy does give the local manager some wiggle room to ask someone to leave; this is the caveat I've seen them utilized. Notify the regional manager and advise of your experience....my guess the manager won't get involved in the future unless you are causing a visible scene. YMMV

GONZO!!!

Just listened to the VM mesage regarding OC in Walmart....ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

M recommendation...

We draft a respectful and professional letter to Walmart Corporate Office and thank them for recognizing our constitutional rights and how much it is appreciated. Explain to them that we will throw our customer support to their stores because of their stance on individual rights...etc., etc.

The thing is...we will leave our "No Gun...No Business" cards at businesses who will not recognize us, so why dont we recognize those businesses that do support us?

We will electronically sign it here on this forum ONLY so we can get a count of Opencarry.org members. No names...just end with Respectfully Yours, 1,780 law-abiding licensed gun owners. (something to that effect)

GONZO!!!

Last edited:

SixGunGal

Interesting. Since our local Walmarts sell liquor, weapons, and ammo, I'm curious about our laws. I've seen people open carry, but never thought much about it. I've also seen people carry in weapons to the ammo sections to make sure they buy the correct stuff. I've never noticed any signs about "no weapons" which would be a bit hypocritical, in my opinion, since they sell the stuff. I need to pay attention next time I go to one of our stores.

Thanks for the heads up.

Good idea, Gonzo & Merlin.

Last edited:

CCinMaine

I OC at Walmarts here in Maine all the time. Never once had any run ins there. Was there today to pick up a site to store order I made in Windham, Maine. I had to talk to a handful of employees to get it and no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Maine Expat

I OC at Walmarts here in Maine all the time. Never once had any run ins there. Was there today to pick up a site to store order I made in Windham, Maine. I had to talk to a handful of employees to get it and no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Yep same here in the Bangor area. It seems to be a non issue.

Merlin

I had some cards made to recognize the business that do not deny us 2a. As soon as they arrive, I will be giving them out, and asking that they be turned over to the manager.

Ok, I drew up some basic cards. In classic Vistaprint.com style, they talked me out of the free option, and into buying something. But I am happy with what I settled on for me. Feel free to come up with your own. You can get 250 like this, B&W only, front-side only, for free + about $7 in shipping. I didn't figure that the card would have the desired effect in B&W, so I opted for color. I also wanted to be sure to include the URL and my contact info, so I opted for the backside as well. And 1000 instead of 250. 

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8919&d=1343113563

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8920&d=1343113582

Last edited: