• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northern Kentucky, Florence to Newport area.

Adam Sebastian

I was curious as to how many fellow Kentuckians are from up North? And wouldn't mind getting together from time to time for an OC event. I'm from Newport and cannot seem to find anyone who OCs in the area. I know they exist, but maybe are not very 'open' about it. I've just recently been OCing but have been slightly aprehensive about it. Not because I'm ignorant of the law, but I do have a good job and wouldnt want to miss a day because some LEO overstepped the law and arrested me anyway. I do plan on getting a good camera soon and then will be more apt to OC on a regular basis.

ps1mhd

I am in Sparta and work by the airport. I OC all the time.
I have been to a couple get togethers one in LEX and on in Cincy.
Do you have a time and place in mind?

Mike

Adam Sebastian

I am in Sparta and work by the airport. I OC all the time.
I have been to a couple get togethers one in LEX and on in Cincy.
Do you have a time and place in mind?

Mike

No, not really. I was mainly wanting to see if OC events are common or just a spur of the moment thing with family and friends.

I live right across the river from Cincinnati.

I don't know anyone personally that Open Carries. I asked a cop the other day (some of them work a detail at a Bar I work at) if they get many open carriers here in Newport and he did say there have been a couple he's seen. I know the LEOs here fairly well so I'm not sure if I would get harassed badly or not. The cop did say that the citizens here will call and complain.

I'm not sure if its in these forums or another site, but someone had the idea to pass out flyers or business cards to people and businesses showing the law and asking people to educate themselves on the Gun laws for KY. I don't want to be that guy that is just OCing just to prove a point or cause trouble. I want to do it for my own safety and the safety of others, but people should'nt be that damned scared to see somone lawfully carrying a firearm. I just don't think I'd be that alarmed if I saw a guy with a gun on his hip taking his groceries out of his trunk. Or walking his dog.

hotrod

If you wish to get together, let us know. I would be in for a sit down and discuss the way of OC lunch. If you wish to OC, please don't ask the police if it's ok. They will tell you how the community frowns on it.

FrostyKRU

When I first started to OC I noticed the looks I got from others, I still notice but some great conversations have come out of it, even with the LEO's I encounter are nice and seem comfortable with the situation. No problems on my end!