• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does your family know what to do?

Dilligad316

As mentioned i another thread and something I have not thought of and wondering if anybody else has?
I was reading an article last night (talking about the recent flash mobs and use of deadly force) and if I can find it i will post it about "does your family and loved ones know what to do IF you ever have to defend your self using your OC or CC? The article talks about if you ever have to use deadly force to defend your self or the people around you and if you have a safe word that they know and it also talks about if you have discussed meeting places in case you get separated during a large indecent (IE car etc.)?
I had never thought of it until last night while reading the article and was wondering if others had and how they would handle it if such occasion arises? :eek:

PikesPeakMtnMan

Good topic....I'll be watching this with interest.

I had starting writing several different posts in response but none seemed to really to make sense, not even to me....that's when I realized that I've only barely talked with my g/f about how to react in an emergency. We've both been in, or involved with, life-threatening or very serious situations so between what mediocre coaching I can give her and her own intuition I think she'll do fine. The flip side is that I've never thought about what I'd do if SHE had to pull her gun in self defense, or any other situation that she was in and I'm on the outside looking in....

RFrampton

When I was a LEO, I discussed it in depth with my ex wife. She knew to look for emergency exits and cover/concealment. With the woman I have now, it would just be a matter to see who got off the first shot, if need be

mahkagari

We have "emergency code words" that are not specific to a situation. I.e. a situation could be a loose dog, a fire, a fugitive passing through, a suspicious person at the door, etc. Our family code words have been employed in all of those situations in addition to regular drills. They're also all well before I would need to draw my weapon. They have default actions to perform for certain environments in absence of any other instructions. The codes mean "Immediate danger, stand by for instructions and follow them to the letter. Without instructions, stick to default action."

since9

Campaign Veteran
Some of you have met my son. I turn "what if" scenarios into a game. I unload my firearm, and insert a snap-cap, then set up a situation, like, "You're home on your computer while I'm checking the mail. Two guys kick in the door. What do you do?" and then walk him through it. Next we have a dry run, then a real scenario with hired thugs...

Just kidding about the thugs.

We both have fun, yet it puts us in the right mindset in case something like that ever does come along.