Thread: Denver Post poll

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Denver Post poll

lower right part of page at www.denverpost.com

Should more be done to prevent mass shootings like the one at an Aurora movie theater early Friday morning?
    Total Votes = 3051
    Yes. Tougher gun laws must be enacted and stricter security measures must be in place in public places such as theaters.
    1078 Votes, or 35.33 %
    No. Nothing is going to stop someone who is bent on causing this sort of evil.
    1675 Votes, or 54.90 %
    Not sure. We don't know enough about this shooting yet.
    298 Votes, or 9.767 %

Sure enough - some people think a TSA-like entity is needed.
    Last edited by Tess; 07-20-2012 at 06:05 PM.

When I first looked at your graph I thought that all three options were tied cuz the bars are all the same length. I'm glad to see that the "No" is over 50% of the choice, and beats the "Yes" by 20%. While it would be nice if more people realized that it won't stop criminals, it is still nice to see more people saying "No" than yes. And the "unsure" people could also be potential "No" votes, meaning that the margin could be as high as 30%.

Interestingly the poll choices skew the results towards no.

Edit: Also the poll's question should cause people to lean more towards yes, the wording of the answers will cause people to lean more towards no.

The poll is loaded.
    Last edited by Jack House; 07-20-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Interestingly the poll choices skew the results towards no.

Edit: Also the poll's question should cause people to lean more towards yes, the wording of the answers will cause people to lean more towards no.

The poll is loaded.
    It is a poorly written poll.
    The yes option is a "double-barreled item" since to choose it you have to satisfy two conditions. This is due to the "and" in the item. So if the respondent likes the idea of more site security but doesn't want more stringent gun laws, he/she cannot really chose yes.

This will likely move people to no or unsure.

It's nonsense and is subject to unfixable bias anway. No validity. No reliability. Waste of time.