• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Commodore Theater in Portsmouth

mpg9999

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/local-theatre-security-post-shooting

Video in the link, the owner of the theater open carrys. I wonder what their policy is towards patrons?

""I think everyone needs to be vigilant whether it's terrorists or non-terrorists," Fred Schoenfeld said.

Schoenfeld said he openly carries a weapon as a deterrent.

"Both of my grown children were from Virginia Tech for the shooting there and so we have tragic events that do happen and we just have to live through them and learn from them," Schoenfeld said.

Parent Gerald Gendron appreciates Schoenfeld's decision.
"It's kind of nice that the property owners and business owners are looking to protect both themselves as well as the patrons that come visit," Gendron said."

john-galt

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/local-theatre-security-post-shooting

Video in the link, the owner of the theater open carrys. I wonder what their policy is towards patrons?

""I think everyone needs to be vigilant whether it's terrorists or non-terrorists," Fred Schoenfeld said.

Schoenfeld said he openly carries a weapon as a deterrent.

"Both of my grown children were from Virginia Tech for the shooting there and so we have tragic events that do happen and we just have to live through them and learn from them," Schoenfeld said.

Parent Gerald Gendron appreciates Schoenfeld's decision.
"It's kind of nice that the property owners and business owners are looking to protect both themselves as well as the patrons that come visit," Gendron said."

Nice!

MagiK_SacK

You know, after today, I wanted to go see this movie but I knew it wasn't a good idea. I think I may have found a location!

mpg9999

I sent Commodore Theater an email to ask about their firearms policy. Here is their response:

"Michael,

It has always been my policy to allow anyone who has the legal right to carry a firearm (whether concealed or open) to attend the Commodore Theatre. As you mentioned, the bad guys (by definition) pay no attention to signs or laws and you are so right that only law abiding folks follow the rules! You are most welcome!!!

Fred"

Maybe I'll go see Batman tomorrow!

MagiK_SacK

I sent Commodore Theater an email to ask about their firearms policy. Here is their response:

"Michael,

It has always been my policy to allow anyone who has the legal right to carry a firearm (whether concealed or open) to attend the Commodore Theatre. As you mentioned, the bad guys (by definition) pay no attention to signs or laws and you are so right that only law abiding folks follow the rules! You are most welcome!!!

Fred"

Maybe I'll go see Batman tomorrow!

How does everybody feel about going to see a movie?!?! As far as I have seen this is the only theater that allows LAC to carry, and I believe they deserve our support.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran

"Michael,

Fred"

Wow. That's impressive!

Their website: http://www.commodoretheatre.com/index.php

Last edited:

Lincoln7

I called the Commodore this evening and asked for Fred Schoenfeld. The person on the line replied 'This is he'. I asked him if he allowed the lawful carrying of firearms at his facility. He replied 'Yes we do. In fact, we encourage it'. I told him that's great and thanked him. Went and saw the Batman movie while open carrying. No issues and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I highly recommend this theater.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I called the Commodore this evening and asked for Fred Schoenfeld. The person on the line replied 'This is he'. I asked him if he allowed the lawful carrying of firearms at his facility. He replied 'Yes we do. In fact, we encourage it'. I told him that's great and thanked him. Went and saw the Batman movie while open carrying. No issues and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I highly recommend this theater.

I'm taking the Grand Kids there but last night I went to a theater that had already thrown me out once...but they didn't this time.:uhoh:
Just testing the waters.

Tanner

Wow he even decided not to do a midnight showing of batman for safety reasons. Turns out that its a good idea. It says his first showing was arouns 1pm and people were starting a line at 7am! I wish this place was closer :(

godspel-13

After reading about the rediculous arrest in Denver over a gentleman legally open carrying, I wanted to get this thread to the top to support this gentleman's theater.

It will be over an hour drive for me, but it is worth it.