• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hooters, Hooters, Hooters

MagiK_SacK

So a couple times in different threads I have read about some Hooters being anti. Well since BBW is outspokenly anti, I actually do like Hooters wings, and haven't really found a good wing spot. My wife and I decided to test the waters at our local Hooters near Oceana.

First thing I noticed was not a no guns sign, but rather a sign stating that the location was not a franchise and that it was independently owned. So we were seated and had a great meal with no incident. I couldn't get the non-franchise location thought out of my head. So I decided to speak with the manager since the owner was not there at the time. I asked about the difference between being a independent location vs a franchise. It was explained to me that basically they had keep the Hooters look, and menu. Other than that, for the most part, they have freedom on the other aspects of the restaurant.

So I went on to explain why I was asking (some locations indicating anti and some not). Now I know some of you may not agree with this tactic seeing as how this location doesn't take an openly anti stance, and the inquiry could cause them to take an anti stance. The way I figured it, since it is already a grey area for some locations if they were to express an anti stance they could at least clear it up. Thankfully it didn't go that way, not yet at least. The conversation went well, he asked what I was carrying. He stated that he owned a Glock, IIRC. He seamed confused as to why the other locations took a negative stance on OC. He stated that he didn't know for sure the stance that the owners take on OC in the restaurant, but he said he didn't have a problem with it.

So, given how well the conversation went, I asked if he/the owners would be open to hosting an OC dinner. He stated that he would want check with the owners on their stance on allowing firearms in the restaurant before giving the ok. I explained the professionalism that everyone portrays, and that when we have them we have an unspoken rule of no alcohol. I mentioned it to ease any concerning thoughts they might have about scaring their customers. Also that our general turn out is between 15 - 25 people. I left the manager with my e-mail address and asked that he or the owners get back to me good news or bad.

In closing I was wondering how you guys/gals would feel about having a dinner at an independently owned Hooters? If the response is good from both here and the owners I will pick a date and time. At this time I am just awaiting a response.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You may (probably) will get different opinions but I think you did a great job. If they OK the OC Dinner it's a big win. If they crawfish, they're just in line with many other Hooters which are a lost cause.

Not mentioning it is another of those rules that should really be a guideline.

MagiK_SacK

You may (probably) will get different opinions but I think you did a great job. If they OK the OC Dinner it's a big win. If they crawfish, they're just in line with many other Hooters which are a lost cause.

Not mentioning it is another of those rules that should really be a guideline.

Thanks! I am prepared for any backseat drivers so to speak, but it's human nature so what are ya gonna do ya know.

I should note that when explaining why I OC he was very understanding, and expressed that he would like to see more people OC, let alone CC at least.

Also for those wondering the location would be here.

1495 General Booth Blvd
Virginia Beach, VA 23454

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

Why ask to have a dinner? just have it, people show up, if they turn out to be ANTI then we just all leave and go to the next joint across the street.:banana: Would put a big sad face on them losing $100-$200 in business.

I hope it isn't Thursdays. :(

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I for one would like to find a wing place that is pro-OC if for no other reason to send my receipts to the Newport News Quaker Steak & Lube each time. :)

When Fuddruckers went anti before their buyout and eventually going out of business the question was whether to give the restaurants that supported OC business or not since monies (however small) would make it back to corporate. While I understand the thinking my opinion is to give monies to the places that support OC even if their corporate doesn't. If nothing bad happens to those restaurants we can use it as leverage against the others. Also if the restaurants that support OC do better than those that don't their management may move up the chain and have an impact down the road.

Yes it would be nice to have a quick win by boycotting but other approaches may be needed.

XD9mmguy

id be up for a meet there, dont open carry much due to the hassel of getting off post(military) but i would for that.

Xdguy

ODA 226

I've OC'd in almost every Hooters from Williamsburg to Virginia Beach and never had a problem. We've even held OC Dinners at the Hooters in Waterside.

Betty_Rose_Brown

I've OC'd in almost every Hooters from Williamsburg to Virginia Beach and never had a problem. We've even held OC Dinners at the Hooters in Waterside.

A meet-up would be a dandy plan, but I don't "do" Hooters Restaurant.

Ick.

As another poster said, why not support a restaurant that supports OC?

jegoodin

Glory Days... Great wings, I've open carried at many of their locations with never a word said or a strange look.

Manassas, Centerville, Woodbridge, and Culpeper are my most frequented locations.

XD9mmguy

heck, its all good in my book, thighs, legs, breast pieces....

this isnt to far for me, but id be willing to go a little further.

XDguy

MagiK_SacK

Well, it looks like I will be setting a date. Once I follow up with the owners I will put a date out there.

I have to agree with 45acpForMe. Why not show more support to the independent locations that allow OC to show the potential monetary gain by not ousting gun owners, and potentially change overall policy.

To those of you that haven't had a problem carrying at other locations that is great, but I only mentioned anything because other people have had problems. I sought out to clear up any confusion.

MSC 45ACP

I can see that many of you guys like wings, me, I'm more of a breast man.

:-D

I went to the Newport News Hooters and was asked to leave when I was OCing.
Went to the Hampton location (near the Convention Hall) and had no problems.

I had OC'd a couple times at Quaker Steak & Lube after they had opened and never had a problem.
I was warmly welcomed. I was deeply saddened to hear they had gone anti. I wrote them an e-mail
sharing my displeasure and have yet to get a response.
:-(

MagiK_SacK

Not the update I was hoping for...

Well the wife and I decided to go back to Hooters for lunch and see why it was taking so long to get a response. Thankfully the GM was there to answer our questions. Apparently after the manager (Ralph) spoke with the GM (Kris) she wanted to speak with her boss before making that decision. Why? Who knows. She had some questions about how the dinners work. After answering her questions, I was promised a call later that night or the next day. Unfortunately I got a no go response. She stated that the owner did not want a large group of people with firearms in the restaurant, but he doesn't have an issue with individuals carrying into the restaurant.

From here I figure we have two options. Have a dinner elsewhere, or just have a trickle effect dinner. You know, one person show up, few minutes later a couple other people show up. We won't be an 'organized' group, but rather a group of like minded individuals who just so happened to show up at the same place, around the same time, for dinner! :dude:

Not sure though. I suppose the statement live an learn only stands even more true after this experience. Next time I will just go with the, just show up way of doing things.

acfreddie

Well the wife and I decided to go back to Hooters for lunch and see why it was taking so long to get a response. Thankfully the GM was there to answer our questions. Apparently after the manager (Ralph) spoke with the GM (Kris) she wanted to speak with her boss before making that decision. Why? Who knows. She had some questions about how the dinners work. After answering her questions, I was promised a call later that night or the next day. Unfortunately I got a no go response. She stated that the owner did not want a large group of people with firearms in the restaurant, but he doesn't have an issue with individuals carrying into the restaurant.

From here I figure we have two options. Have a dinner elsewhere, or just have a trickle effect dinner. You know, one person show up, few minutes later a couple other people show up. We won't be an 'organized' group, but rather a group of like minded individuals who just so happened to show up at the same place, around the same time, for dinner! :dude:

Not sure though. I suppose the statement live an learn only stands even more true after this experience. Next time I will just go with the, just show up way of doing things.

With the understanding that we are the newbies on the forum here, our opinion is that we would rather go into an establishment that is fully supportive of OC'ing rather than going to a place we have to alter our otherwise normal process. We are after all the customers and the ones who will be spending money at the place we choose to dine at/in, why should we give up any portion of exercising our OC rights, IMO I would not and would find a suitable alternative to dine at and politely inform the manager to forward a copy of the total amount of our collective bills to the , owner and show the owner what they miss out out on. In the end its the restaurants choice to make just as it the patrons to choose where their money will be spent. I know I don't need a specific restaurant to stay open, but they do need paying customers to stay open. Great on them if they have. the revenues to alienate a growing percentage of the population and still stay open. There are other places where my money is valued without stipulations attached.
Just our opinions

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Since it isn't anti and allows OC, I'd be inclined to honor the owners wishes and not have a large group. If you were to trickle in it would be obvious what you were doing and maybe push the owner to say no guns...or worse, CHPs only. Either would get them a spot on he Unfriendly to Gunowners list.