• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the effective date of HB 1647?

mechanicworkman

Does HB 1647 take effect immediatily? I found a copy of the bill on the website.

http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummary.aspx?bill=HB1647&year=2012&code=R

At the bottom of the bill it says.

SS HCS HB 1647 63
4 preservation of the public health, welfare, peace and safety, and is hereby declared to be an
5 emergency act within the meaning of the constitution, and the repeal and reenactment of sections
6 320.106, 320.131, 320.136, and 571.111 of this act shall be in full force and effect upon its
7 passage and approval.

This leads me to wonder if it went into effect in Aug or did it take effect immediatily?

mechanicworkman

I have read in several posts where people are stating Aug 28th is the date it will be effective/applied but, am i reading this wrong where it says it will take effect immediately? Am i taking something out of context?

Redbaron007

Since there was an emergency clause, the sections designated as an emergency will be effective upon signing of the governor. Here's the link, it is at the very end of the bill

"Section B. Because of the need to update state law and to clarify the requirements for
2 concealed carry endorsements to match federal law, the repeal and reenactment of sections
3 320.106, 320.131, 320.136, and 571.111 of this act is deemed necessary for the immediate
4 preservation of the public health, welfare, peace and safety, and is hereby declared to be an

5 emergency act within the meaning ofthe constitution, and the repeal and reenactment of sections
6 320.106, 320.131, 320.136, and 571.111 of this act shall be in full force and effect upon its
7 passage and approval."

Last edited:

Redbaron007

I am overseas and there are some sites I cannot access.What does hb1647 consist of?

It's composed of many different issues: but mainly and generally, it lowers the CCW age for those in the military to 18; also grandfathers those in who had firearms training for their CCW prior to 2011; also gives a CCWer some flexibility in a brief open display of the firearm. The link in my initial post is the pdf for the entire bill, for your reading pleasure, if you can access it.

Last edited:

REALteach4u

I belive both of the bills that made efforst to correct last year's huge error (putting it nicely) had emergency clauses IF I'm not mistaken.

Freedom 1st

The bill took effect immediately after signing by the governor.

A friend of mine obtained his training certificate in Oct of 2008. He neglected to take certificate to sheriff and obtain his CCW. Last years legislature made his training certificate invalid as he obtained the certificate under the old shooting qualifications. HB1647 made his training once again, valid and he promptly went 7/13/2012 to sheriff got the ball rolling, and is awaiting notification from the sheriff of final approval.

Without the attached emergency clause, he would have been waiting until August 28 2012.

Last edited:

REALteach4u

There are only two sections that contain an emergency clause, the rest will wait until August.

http://www.house.mo.gov/content.aspx?info=/bills121/bilsum/truly/sHB1647T.htm

The provisions of the bill regarding the regulation of fireworks and the provisions regarding receiving a concealed carry

endorsement if a person passed the training course requirements

on or before January 27, 2011, contain an emergency clause.

mechanicworkman

I happen to be one of the ones that fell under the old requirements section but, after speaking to my CCW instructor he had me come and fire the additional shots to meet the requirements and issue a letter stating I was up to date for the current requirements I had NO problems getting my missouri CCW.. I suppose like all updates to laws a little late than never LOL