• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado gun buys surge in wake of tragedy

griffin

The Aurora, Colo., theater massacre spurred fearful consumers out west to arm themselves yesterday, with some gun shop owners reporting a massive spike in business.

“The phone’s been ringing off the hook today,” said Robert Parker, owner of Parker Arms & Gunsmithing, 17 miles from the site of the rampage. “Anytime something like this happens, people are more apt to think more about wanting to protect themselves. All of those people there were just helpless.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/central/view.bg?articleid=1061147395&srvc=rss

TheQ

At least some good is coming out of it.

I don't think people buying guns is good -- it's sad that we live in such a world where we need to be prepared to defend ourselves. But I suspect that will never change in this life -- and more "gun control" isn't going to help.

Me? I'll paraphrase what I heard elsewhere: better gun control is both hands on the weapon.

pfries

I don't think people buying guns is good -- it's sad that we live in such a world where we need to be prepared to defend ourselves. But I suspect that will never change in this life -- and more "gun control" isn't going to help.

Me? I'll paraphrase what I heard elsewhere: better gun control is both hands on the weapon.

I agree with most of this however,

While I think it is not a great scenario that we live in a society where we need to protect ourselves, people buying guns weather it is a knee jerk reaction or this was the straw that broke the camels back for some who have been considering it, the fact remains people are waking up.

People are realizing that we need to be able to protect ourselves, if they feel this need how receptive do you suppose those individuals would be to more gun control?
It is unfortunate that it takes an event such as this to make people realize what has been obvious to so many for so long. I think it is a good thing just a terrible way for it to have come about.

B

Bikenut

I think more people realizing that neither gun control laws nor gun bans stop criminals from shooting at victims but victims shooting back does stop them... and that they themselves could become "the victim" even in supposedly safe places like theaters where guns are banned... is a good thing. Of course once that moment of realization sets in the next thing understood is in order for the victim to be able to shoot back the victim needs to go buy a gun.... before they become the victim.

In my not so humble opinion... every person who bought a gun for the first time because of this horrible tragedy has decided they will NOT be an easy victim for the next whacko.... no matter where that whacko decides to hit.

And I think that is a very good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

HKcarrier

I think more people realizing that neither gun control laws nor gun bans stop criminals from shooting at victims but victims shooting back does stop them... and that they themselves could become "the victim" even in supposedly safe places like theaters where guns are banned... is a good thing. Of course once that moment of realization sets in the next thing understood is in order for the victim to be able to shoot back the victim needs to go buy a gun.... before they become the victim.

In my not so humble opinion... every person who bought a gun for the first time because of this horrible tragedy has decided they will NOT be an easy victim for the next whacko.... no matter where that whacko decides to hit.

And I think that is a very good thing.

I was listening to a discussion on the NPR station around here and they were having a discussion about the 2A... It was like I was listening to the anti-BikeNut.... they were talking about "reasonable" and "sensible" gun restrictions.... I just shook my head and said BikeNut is so right...

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
View attachment 8905View attachment 8905

This is what I bought ... many guys probably say to their wife or girl friend "see baby, I need this..to protect you" and they say "OK"
i would be lying if i said i didn't use this tragedy as an opportunity to both encourage my wife to get her CPL and buy a gun for her to carry. it doesn't hurt that it is a gun i've been wanting for a while. i'm sure she'll let me shoot it on occasion.

B

Bikenut

I was listening to a discussion on the NPR station around here and they were having a discussion about the 2A... It was like I was listening to the anti-BikeNut.... they were talking about "reasonable" and "sensible" gun restrictions.... I just shook my head and said BikeNut is so right...
Edited to say...

Sad isn't it?

Maybe folks will be able to counter those arguments when they realize that trying to argue what is "reasonable" is a waste of time since what is "reasonable" to one person is completely "unreasonable" to another. But when both argue for what they believe is "reasonable" what they are really saying is....

"I want you to do it MY way because MY way is .... reasonable and your way isn't."

Last edited by a moderator: