Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local theater ccw policies

Local theater ccw policies

How are the movie theater polices on CCW in WI? Especially around the Milwaukee area? Some posted, none posted, a lot posted? Haven't been in a while, at least, since the new ccw law took effect.

I usually go to Marcus Theaters. I always go armed (concealed). I have looked for signs, but have never seen any.
    Wisconsin Carry Member

Hartford theater is NOT posted.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

I have been to two theaters in Stevens Point, neither one posted. (And yes, there is a correlation.)

Each of us needs to decide for ourselves if our safety is worth getting a ticket for carrying concealed in a posted gun free zone. Is your safety worth a couple hundred bucks in a ticket IF you are ever caught concealing in a posted store? If you are concealing correctly, nobody will ever know unless you have to use your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by smithman View Post
    Each of us needs to decide for ourselves if our safety is worth getting a ticket for carrying concealed in a posted gun free zone. Is your safety worth a couple hundred bucks in a ticket IF you are ever caught concealing in a posted store? If you are concealing correctly, nobody will ever know unless you have to use your gun.
    That is your opinion, but posting it here is ill advised. We are not alone.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by smithman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    That is your opinion, but posting it here is ill advised. We are not alone.
    Advocating that we should break the law is also grounds to have the "Ban Hammer" come down. This forum does have a few rules...

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by American Pride! View Post
    I carry to some places concealed that post no weapons. Not federal buildings or court houses of coarse. If I did have to use my gun in one of these places like the tragedy in CO, I'm sure a jury would kick all charges. Besides, most places that have that posted it isn't a law...but more a company rule. Can't go to jail for breaking a rule, so I wouldn't get to attend said venue again. So what? These days the media would tear the place a new one anyway.
    It is a law 943.13 to be exact. $1000 fine. Not sure why you want to give people who don't support our rights your money.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

It's a law in certain places. And laws vary state to state. Here a business can post no weapons, but it's company policy. It's law for bars, official buildings, etc...not the movie theater

Huh?

Please provide a citation for this.

Here, let me help:

941.235 - Carrying in a non-federal public building. Doing it without a CCL is a crime (misdemeanor). Doing it with a CCL and it being posted is a violation of a LAW 943.13.

941.237 - Carrying in a class b establishment (aka 'bar'). Doing it without a CCL and without jumping some other hoops is a crime (misdemeanor). Doing it with a CCL and it being posted is a violation of a LAW 941.13 (up to $1000 fine), no crime unless you don't leave when told, when it becomes criminal trespass.

So.... anyplace else that you carry where it is posted is a violation of a LAW 941.13 and without any warning (other than the sign) you can receive a ticket for up to $1000 for simply disobeying the sign. If, after the cops show up, tell you to leave and offer you a ticket, you decide not to comply, it becomes criminal trespass and they can arrest you. Since you have a firearm, you could also be charged with a weapon enhancer.

So... pretty much posting on ANY building and disobeying it can cost you $1000. Doing it in certain buildings can cost you your freedom.

It's a law in certain places. And laws vary state to state. Here a business can post no weapons, but it's company policy. It's law for bars, official buildings, etc...not the movie theater
    You have to remember, this is the Wisconsin (State) part of the forum...

Relax cheese head...it was in the popular/new topics area of the forum. I could care less what state it's under. It was a general discussion
    If it was a general discussion, it would be under the 'general discussion forum. It wasn't, it was in Wisconsin.

Especially when the OP said

How are the movie theater polices on CCW in WI
    Last edited by paul@paul-fisher.com; 07-22-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Cheese Hater!

cheese hating trolls say:

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    cheese hating trolls say:

Gouda 'nough for me...
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    Gouda 'nough for me...
    Cheese jokes,

a Cheesehead hater, who wandered in here from Washington and is probably lost. (Paul, he is NOT interested in Wisconsin laws.)

What's next? Cheeseburgers?

well, I brie outta here!
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

Quote Originally Posted by Preferred Customer View Post
    I usually go to Marcus Theaters. I always go armed (concealed). I have looked for signs, but have never seen any.

+1, I was at one of those Saturday (Majestic) and no signs. All was good.

And yes, thread was WI specific, thus the hometown forum.

I wait for Blue Ray or an online retailer... I don't do movie theaters...

They're overpriced and I don't like being trapped in a big dark room with a bunch of unpredictable people. Going to the movies falls under both the "to stupid places" and "with stupid people" categories for me.

The life of a cynical b@st@rd as it were...

Quote Originally Posted by Preferred Customer View Post
    The "Carmike" theater by the Valley View Mall is posted. (Last time I looked).
    The "Marcus" La Crosse is not. (Corporate Policy I was told. Manager wants to post but is not allowed.).

JJC
    Last edited by JJC; 07-15-2013 at 01:50 PM.

I usually go to the Showtime in Franklin on HWY 38 just south of HWY 100. Never seen I sign there.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Mayfair mall and the AMC theater that is in it have no carry signs posted on all doors

The Marcus theater in Menomonee Falls does not have anything posted

Quote Originally Posted by xenophon
    How are the movie theater polices on CCW in WI?
    I'm pretty sure all of them prohibit ccw. It's a crime.
    Some even prohibit lawfully-armed citizens.
    As others have pointed out, Marcus does not post.
    The few times I've been out to a movie, we've gone to Marcus Menomonee Falls, OC & cc, with no problems from anyone.

ETA: for the one Marcus that's supposedly posted, notify the head office. The signs will come down. Corporate policy is to welcome all law-abiding citizens. I suspect they'll figure out who posted the signs & have a little talk...
    Last edited by MKEgal; 07-14-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by smithman
    Each of us needs to decide for ourselves if our safety is worth getting a ticket for carrying concealed in a posted gun free zone.
    Is your safety worth a couple hundred bucks in a ticket IF you are ever caught concealing in a posted store?
    If you are concealing correctly, nobody will ever know unless you have to use your gun.
    All of which is true, except that as Paul & protias pointed out it's a ticket of up to $1000.
    And there's always the question of "why support anti-rights businesses?".
    Sometimes there isn't a choice - post office, most hospitals (not all), some cities/counties.
    In the case of theaters, there are lots of choices (from Netflix to redbox to Marcus).

Banned
    Ones that are anti only play G rated movies right?

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast