Thread: Calls For Gun Control Stir Little Support

Calls For Gun Control Stir Little Support

Good news. It's still surprising me though. Every time there is a LAC gun massacre/multiple shooting, I always worry about whether the event will be the one that the anti-gunners will trumpet as heinous enough to force the political balance to shift enough so that some new and dumb control law gets passed.

But it doesn't happen. Why not? Even considering a historic casualty-producing murderous attack WITH AN EBR!

Here's why, according to one expert:

Ed Rendell, the former Democratic governor of Pennsylvania, was more emphatic than many in the early hours after the shootings. "Everyone is scared of the NRA," he said...

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/2...tle.html#moreb

The NRA (and GOA, SAF, BFA, VCDL, etc.) are just too strong.

It's interesting how much power the pro-gun rights constituency has when you think about it. Great work throughout the years by the NRA pays off handsomely in the aftermath of atrocities such as the Theater 9 massacre.

NRA, love it or hate it, no one can deny that those guys are EFFECTIVE. What's not in today's headlines is testament to that fact.

HankT

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Every time I turn on NBC, CNN or MSNBC they are talking about gun control. They keep mentioning the NRA and all the power it has.

Its not the NRA that has the power, its the US Constitution !!!!

oh, and millions of gun owners have LOTS of power simply by having millions of guns. just like the founding fathers intended.
    Exactly.

And here I was thinking I'd found something first...
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...pport-16827298
    This made me smile:
    Gun control advocates sputter at their own impotence...
    it's been more than a decade since gun control advocates had a realistic hope of getting the type of legislation they seek
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Some a$$hat posted this on a friend's Facebook post about Colorado:

Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 07-22-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

If you want, you should post "AMC tried that, could you remind me again how that worked out for them?"

NRA Wins Again. And Again. Even after gun massacres.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Every time I turn on NBC, CNN or MSNBC they are talking about gun control. They keep mentioning the NRA and all the power it has.

Its not the NRA that has the power, its the US Constitution !!!!

oh, and millions of gun owners have LOTS of power simply by having millions of guns. just like the founding fathers intended.

I agree that the gun-owning community has tons of power. And agree that the Constitution is the basis for both court decisions and restrained government behavior that favors protection of our RKBA.

But at its own level/place in the system of gun rights/political & legal activity, the NRA is the the advocate and agent for both the people and the Constitution. And it performs splendidly and powerfully in that realm. No advocacy group does it better, except for the tobacco lobby.

But without the millions of gun-owners the NRA could not be viable. However, without the Consitution's 2A, the NRA could still exist and wield advocacy power.

Anyway, if you're talking about some concept of "ultimate power" or the "ultimate authority" for the RKBA, which is a useful concept to think about, it's not the U.S. Constitution.

Here is the dilemma, how can Obama shutdown the only industry left in America that is thriving, and he is responsible for it thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Some a$$hat posted this on a friend's Facebook post about Colorado:

Nice piece of advocacy art/music.

Very well done.

There's a lesson or two in that video.