• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

newbie here needing help.

copmagnet

Hello everybody. after alst nights movie theater shootin I decided I am going to begin oc. so the first thing I did was hop on google and research the laws and I found the charts on the front page of this website very help full. but it didnt answer all my questions.

The weapon I have isn't "technically" In my name, its in my father, whos is stationed in a different state. I have already been given permission from him to carry it, but I was wondering if that could get me into trouble because its not "mine"?

I noticed that in order to OC in a vehicle it must be in "plain view" I was thinking of putting it in my back seat but i drive a mustang so my rear windows are pretty small, would it be safe/smart to have it in my passanger seat? I mean thats within reaching distance.

Is there a "mag limit"? I have 6 mags, but was only planning to carry one in the gun and two on my hip..

Is there a capacity limit? They each hold 10 rounds.

Is it unlawfull to carry with one in the tube?

bc.cruiser

Welcome, copmagnet!

Since there is no gun registration in NC (with noted exception of Durham county), it doesn't matter who is the actual owner. If you are not prohibited from possessing a gun, then you may carry one. You also have no need to tell anyone whose it is.
OC in a vehicle: For you, for the time being, I recommend a holster or similiar device that will secure it in the passenger seat (when the main squeeze isn't in residence:lol:), or on the dash. That way it's in sight, and secured from flying around. Most of us simply wear it the same in the car as while walking. It will be up to you whether or not you inform a LEO you have it, if you get stopped (is your user name any hint?). You mention 'within reaching distance'. That becomes an issue only if there is grounds for a concealment charge.
There is no actual mag limit, as long as you don't exceed the placarded GVWR for your vehicle.:lol:
NC has not limited the mag capacity, unlike some states. I carry 19 rd mags, with one chambered. Some local ordinances post a limit of 20 rds. Some guns, like Glock, can take a 33 rd mag.
Carrying chambered, cocked, safety off, or any combination is up to you. NC makes no distinction between loaded and unloaded guns for offenses. I would say most of us carry in Condition 1. You didn't indicate what gun you have; whatever it is, use a good retention holster, and practice (unloaded and in private) getting it ready for action in any activity or position.
Don't make an issue of the fact you carry, but don't let anyone else do so either.

Last edited:

copmagnet

You didn't indicate what gun you have; whatever it is, use a good retention holster, and practice (unloaded and in private) getting it ready for action in any activity or position.

S&W M&P 45. The current holster I have is the factory kydex one I got with the gun. seems to work but I'm sure I will spring for a serpa.

I'm pretty comfortable loading/unloading, I have been shooting for yearrsss..Gone through a couple rifle/pistol shooting classes, and a majority of my/my moms friends are shooting instructors out at blackwater. (XE?) whatever they call it now.

Thank you for the help!

Matt2908

I've seen a lot of people say(you don't have to inform a Leo that your carrying in a car)
I found this on page 20 under transporting. Is it a rule or just a suggestion?

While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method ofcarrying a weapon. The principal drawback, ofcourse, is in the event ofan individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that individual's putpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety.*

I open carry in my truck all the time. Only been stopped twice while carrying. 1st time I told him. . 2nd time she didn't even see it on the dash.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Welcome, copmagnet!

Since there is no gun registration in NC (with noted exception of Durham county), it doesn't matter who is the actual owner. If you are not prohibited from possessing a gun, then you may carry one. You also have no need to tell anyone whose it is.
OC in a vehicle: For you, for the time being, I recommend a holster or similiar device that will secure it in the passenger seat (when the main squeeze isn't in residence:lol:), or on the dash. That way it's in sight, and secured from flying around. Most of us simply wear it the same in the car as while walking. It will be up to you whether or not you inform a LEO you have it, if you get stopped (is your user name any hint?). You mention 'within reaching distance'. That becomes an issue only if there is grounds for a concealment charge.
There is no actual mag limit, as long as you don't exceed the placarded GVWR for your vehicle.:lol:
NC has not limited the mag capacity, unlike some states. I carry 19 rd mags, with one chambered. Some local ordinances post a limit of 20 rds. Some guns, like Glock, can take a 33 rd mag.
Carrying chambered, cocked, safety off, or any combination is up to you. NC makes no distinction between loaded and unloaded guns for offenses. I would say most of us carry in Condition 1. You didn't indicate what gun you have; whatever it is, use a good retention holster, and practice (unloaded and in private) getting it ready for action in any activity or position.
Don't make an issue of the fact you carry, but don't let anyone else do so either.

Ref bolded above. Is NC not a "must inform" state? Handgunlaw.us quotes:
"From the NC Dept. of Justice Firearms Website
To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:
 Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
 Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina."

NC DOJ Firearms Laws pamphlet (dated 2007, but revised 20011, found at http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx) states
WF9YgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

So have I been wrong all this time? [STRIKE]I tried to find it in code but was unable. [/STRIKE] I don't think so -- ref "
§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer."

Last edited:

carolina guy

Ref bolded above. Is NC not a "must inform" state? Handgunlaw.us quotes:
"From the NC Dept. of Justice Firearms Website
To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:
 Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
 Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina."

NC DOJ Firearms Laws pamphlet (dated 2007, but revised 20011, found at http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx) states
WF9YgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

So have I been wrong all this time? [STRIKE]I tried to find it in code but was unable. [/STRIKE] I don't think so -- ref "
§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer."

In North Carolina, you only have a "duty" to inform a police office that you have a pistol if it is concealed and you have a permit to carry concealed.

If you are open carrying, then it should be visible and hence a non-issue. Generally, some people feel more comfortable letting a police office know they have a handgun and letting the office know where it is. This is not a requirement if it is plainly visible.

IANAL.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Thanks for the stand-in, carolina guy.

Tess: OP's original question was for OC. That was the scope of my answer. It is also why, even though I have a CHP, I usually OC. I don't have to have ID or tell anyone anything, unless I am making use of my driver's license.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for the stand-in, carolina guy.

Tess: OP's original question was for OC. That was the scope of my answer. It is also why, even though I have a CHP, I usually OC. I don't have to have ID or tell anyone anything, unless I am making use of my driver's license.

Thank you!

I so seldom conceal that it never struck me as odd that I'd have to inform only if I was concealing. (I know most civilians don't notice I'm carrying; I wonder how many LEOs would miss it <grin>.) I carry in NC when I vacation and/or visit my parents, so I'm glad to have the insight.

I did get stopped once in NC; I was driving, and the officer, given the manner in which he approached, could not possibly have seen my sidearm. I did inform him immediately. When I said I was permitted and carrying openly on my right hip, he asked me to repeat where the gun was located, and never said another word.

Thanks for the response, both of you!