• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC News error re: Colorado shooting

Contrarian

Jack House

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/movie-theater-shooting-prompts-gun-control-debate/

About fourth paragraph:
Partial quote: "Registration and gun owner licenses aren’t required, and background checks for online sales aren’t required.

Correct me please, but online sales are Federally required to go through a FFL dealer, right?

If I'm right, how do they get to print this type of thing?

Enlightenment please.
All interstates sales MUST go through FFLs.

How do they type blatant lies like this? By smashing at their keyboards like a bunch of monkeys?:monkey

Edit: Intrastate sales that are between private individuals and do not require the item to be mailed may not have to go through FFLs, so no background check would be required. Maybe this is what they're talking about?

Last edited:

Aknazer

They are able to say such things the same way they were able to say that the shooter appeared to be tied to the tea party. They lie, twist the truth, don't fact check, and then hope no one calls them on it.

As for this specific situation it is most likely a twisting of the truth. As stated, private sales don't require a background check and don't have to go through an FFL. As such, if you arange such a sale online, then you don't have to do those things (but you would have to meet with the person to physically sell them the gun).

txgho1911

Like so many Dems, Repubs, and other statists

They lie. Their mouth is open and working. There is no liability for dishonesty.

Mark Zimmerman should sue to get 2 hours of air every weeknight evening for life. 50% of increased proceeds for that period of time.

The Tea Party member slandered on GMA by George slopilopolis should get that gig. Similar terms.

Never going to happen.

Gil223

And the GOOD NEWS is...

All interstates sales MUST go through FFLs.

Edit: Intrastate sales that are between private individuals and do not require the item to be mailed may not have to go through FFLs, so no background check would be required. Maybe this is what they're talking about?

My understanding, based only upon that which has been reported, is that the firearms themselves were purchased at local gun shops. Legally, the shops are required to run background checks, so I assume that was done. OTOH, mail-order ammunition does not require either a background check or transfer to/thru a FFL license holder (I have bought thousands of rounds that way).

Now for the good news (Reuters)...
The killing of 12 people at a midnight screening of the new Batman movie in the Denver suburb of Aurora may spark a fresh round of soul-searching on America's relationship with guns but few predict any real change in the law. That's because gun control advocates have largely lost the argument against the much more powerful gun lobby, and politicians know the issue is toxic with voters.

And from ABC News:
The right to bear arms is a constitutionally protected right in America, and in Colorado, the laws aren’t very strict. Background checks are required for purchases at gun shows, under an initiative voted into law after the Columbine shootings in 2000. However, there is no ban on assault weapons or high capacity ammunition clips. Registration and gun owner licenses aren’t required, and background checks for online sales aren’t required.
At least ABC recognizes the Constitutional protection of our RKBA.

The news media continue to describe the AR-15 as an "assault rifle", and Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates continues to state that "...all the clips he possessed, he possessed legally...”. From what I've seen and heard, none of the firearms involved used "clips", and one would think that the C.O.P. would know the difference between a clip and a magazine. (Perhaps I'm just too picky when it comes to the reporting of the technical aspects of anything to do with firearms, but if you're going to try to demonize something, at least properly identify that thing.)

As horrific as these shootings were, the media seem to believe the reports should sensationalize them even more than the event itself did. They will probably still keep this BS going as "headline news" for the next 5 days. Pax...

David White

They are able to say such things the same way they were able to say that the shooter appeared to be tied to the tea party. They lie, twist the truth, don't fact check, and then hope no one calls them on it.

As for this specific situation it is most likely a twisting of the truth. As stated, private sales don't require a background check and don't have to go through an FFL. As such, if you arange such a sale online, then you don't have to do those things (but you would have to meet with the person to physically sell them the gun).

Private sales in the same state don't need to go through the ffl process. If it is from one state to another, they DO have to go through a ffl.

davidmcbeth

Banned
also from the article:

“You can’t stop selling guns. If you’re going to be in an armed country, you’re just going to have to deal with the occasional fruit loop,” gun owner Andrew Wright told Sandell. “That’s the way it goes. It’s unfortunate, it really is.”

Andy's 100% correct ... its just the way it goes ... want to live w/o fear, go lock yourself up in a hole

Gil223

Are Stricter Gun Laws The Answer? (POLL)

Here's the results of a poll from this morning. It's being conducted at http://www.political.com/OfferSeriesPage.aspx?g=20ca179079a242dbb121746ff823cf2f The figures may have changed since then, but this should still give you a general idea of the prevailing attitude in the wake of the Aurora CO massacre. We were winning on the majority of questions asked. :D
~ Three separate images, since the program wouldn't permit me to upload a single file of 2.4MB ~
View attachment 8912
View attachment 8913
View attachment 8914
Pax...

Jack House

That last one is disappointing. Nothing short of a full on barrage of psych evals would have prevented the Aurora shooter from acquiring his weapons legally, even then it might not have. The insanely strict laws in Norway didn't stop the Oslo attack. Gun sales should be less strict. Only the law abiding are kept away from guns and those are the very people that should have them.

Gil223

That last one is disappointing. Nothing short of a full on barrage of psych evals would have prevented the Aurora shooter from acquiring his weapons legally, even then it might not have. The insanely strict laws in Norway didn't stop the Oslo attack. Gun sales should be less strict. Only the law abiding are kept away from guns and those are the very people that should have them.

I totally agree... word-for-word. Pax...

since9

Campaign Veteran
At least ABC recognizes the Constitutional protection of our RKBA.

I suspect they're doing so in an attempt to get the antis to write their Congressmen about drafting an amendment. Like the media said, however, this is a toxic issue with voters. We like our rights, and will move mountains to defend them.

The news media continue to describe the AR-15 as an "assault rifle", and Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates continues to state that "...all the clips he possessed, he possessed legally...”. From what I've seen and heard, none of the firearms involved used "clips", and one would think that the C.O.P. would know the difference between a clip and a magazine. (Perhaps I'm just too picky when it comes to the reporting of the technical aspects of anything to do with firearms, but if you're going to try to demonize something, at least properly identify that thing.)

Agreed. "An assault rifle is a fully automatic rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine." - Wikipedia entry on "assault rifle." The AR-15 is not fully automatic, ergo, not an assault rifle.

As horrific as these shootings were, the media seem to believe the reports should sensationalize them even more than the event itself did. They will probably still keep this BS going as "headline news" for the next 5 days. Pax...

Over-sensationalizing a story is media tactic 101. The more people are glued to their TV's, the higher the Neilsen ratings, and the more advertising dollars can be had. It's greed, with overtones of liberal politicking.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You can buy guns online .. but they go from one dealer to a local dealer to the purchaser .. technically, the sale occurs locally.

Non-ffls cannot ship across state lines legally. Even FFLs have to headbutt with our post office folks when they ship to another FFL ... "its a gun!!" they sometimes say.

Gil223

You can buy guns online .. but they go from one dealer to a local dealer to the purchaser .. technically, the sale occurs locally.

Non-ffls cannot ship across state lines legally. Even FFLs have to headbutt with our post office folks when they ship to another FFL ... "its a gun!!" they sometimes say.

Was there actually somebody here in this gun forum that didn't know that?? :confused: Pax...