Thread: 18-20 open carry washington and active duty concealed 18-20 carry?

Lightbulb 18-20 open carry washington and active duty concealed 18-20 carry?

is age 18-20 open carry legal in WA? if so can some one give me a link to the official regulation?

if its not legal is there an exception to active duty?

One more question i know its 21+ on concealed carry, is there a 18-20 exception for active duty?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bladebc55 View Post
    is age 18-20 open carry legal in WA? if so can some one give me a link to the official regulation?

if its not legal is there an exception to active duty?

One more question i know its 21+ on concealed carry, is there a 18-20 exception for active duty?
    http://opencarry.org/wa.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    the link says 21+ to open carry but there is no reg saying anything about age?

Since WA gun laws only apply off post, if you violate state law you will get in trouble with AR's. I might not agree with the AR's, but we (military types) don't have a choice. Also rules for registering on post have changed, so check with vehicle reg in Waller Hall before you bring a weapon on post, Also refer to AR 190-11.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by bladebc55 View Post
    the link says 21+ to open carry but there is no reg saying anything about age?
    RCW 9.41.240

Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.
    Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Read 8 and 9 it provides some exceptions, and a manner to carry that isn't ideal but you can carry.

RCW 9.41.060

Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
    The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, correctional personnel and community corrections officers as long as they are employed as such who have completed government-sponsored law enforcement firearms training and have been subject to a check through the national instant criminal background check system or an equivalent background check within the past five years, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state. Correctional personnel and community corrections officers seeking the waiver provided for by this section are required to pay for any background check that is needed in order to exercise the waiver;

(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;

(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.

[2011 c 221 1; 2005 c 453 3; 1998 c 253 2; 1996 c 295 5; 1995 c 392 1; 1994 sp.s. c 7 406; 1961 c 124 5; 1935 c 172 6; RRS 2516-6.]
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I am just pleased as punch to hear that another young person is picking up a weapon and making my entire world a safer place. Stay legal, stay armed. Keep it up Army.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

RCW 9.41.060(2) is another one we need to change back...and strike "
    when on duty"

In Washington you have to be 21 to own a handgun. You have to be legal to own a handgun to carry it. On post you can not carry anything bigger than a pocket knife. Additionally, if you live in the barracks and you register a firearm on post, be prepared to have to store it in your unit's arms room and if you want to get it you'll need a signed memo from your unit commander. This is per Ft. Lewis Blue Book. If you do not register it, and store it off post, just don't bring it on post and you'll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    In Washington you have to be 21 to own a handgun. You have to be legal to own a handgun to carry it. On post you can not carry anything bigger than a pocket knife. Additionally, if you live in the barracks and you register a firearm on post, be prepared to have to store it in your unit's arms room and if you want to get it you'll need a signed memo from your unit commander. This is per Ft. Lewis Blue Book. If you do not register it, and store it off post, just don't bring it on post and you'll be just fine.
    No you have to be 18 to own and posses a handgun. And you can carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    No you have to be 18 to own and posses a handgun. And you can carry it.
    In Washington State? Where are you getting your info from? I know quite a few officers, and what they are taught is that if you can't buy one, you can't carry one. I guess if you'd like to spend the night locked up in jail while they sort that out, you can.

Since I know the "cite police" are coming, here you go.

http://www.opencarry.org/wa.html

I'm figuring that since the OP was asking about Ft. Lewis as well, he's military. Make sure you read that it says while on duty. I know a guy that got in trouble for mis-reading that.

In Washington State? Where are you getting your info from? I know quite a few officers, and what they are taught is that if you can't buy one, you can't carry one. I guess if you'd like to spend the night locked up in jail while they sort that out, you can.
    You can't buy a gun from a dealer if you're under 21 in WA. You CAN buy one from a private party or receive one as a gift or inheritance.

Under the exception in .042 a person under eighteen can carry. One example is if at a hunter safety course.

Under the exception in .050 a person at least 18 can have an unloaded pistol locked in their car. They can also carry however they want in their own home.

Under the exceptions in .060 as long as you're going to an outdoor activity the restrictions of .050 don't apply. Which means that it's lawful for an 18 year old to conceal without a license.

Also, who said you have to be the owner of a gun you might be carrying?
    One could carry a gun that was loaned to them.
    Last edited by tombrewster421; 07-24-2012 at 07:31 PM.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...t-of-a-handgun

Read the RCW's in that thread.....

The Feds & WA state allow 18 year olds buy a handgun from a private individual. You must be 21 to buy from a FFL dealer.

Ok, plain and simple, if you aren't 21 or over, you can not walk aound with a firearm on your hip. If you want to try the "carry in a lockbox" idea, fine, but be aware that it could easily be seen as concealed carry without a permit. The more you try to skirt the laws, the scetchier you get and the more likely you are to give the officer all he needs to take you in.

Yes, if WA state.

Officers are morons, yes even the ones you know.

I have purchased and given as a gift to both of my 18 yo daughters a handgun. They are not prohibited by federal or state law from possession of a handgun.

RCW 9.41.050
    Carrying firearms.
    (1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.
    RCW 9.41.060
    Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
    The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, correctional personnel and community corrections officers as long as they are employed as such who have completed government-sponsored law enforcement firearms training and have been subject to a check through the national instant criminal background check system or an equivalent background check within the past five years, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state. Correctional personnel and community corrections officers seeking the waiver provided for by this section are required to pay for any background check that is needed in order to exercise the waiver;

(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;

(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.
    Live Free or Die!

A huge amount of disinformation comes from listening to cops, don't trust the cops for legal advice.

Ok, plain and simple, if you aren't 21 or over, you can not walk aound with a firearm on your hip. If you want to try the "carry in a lockbox" idea, fine, but be aware that it could easily be seen as concealed carry without a permit. The more you try to skirt the laws, the scetchier you get and the more likely you are to give the officer all he needs to take you in.

It isn't skirting the law, be real, the law is the infringement not the other way around. There is no getting close to or "skirting" the law you break it or you don't period.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 07-24-2012 at 09:07 PM.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Officers are morons, yes even the ones you know.
    DamonK, I hope of these officers you know none are related by blood.
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    DamonK, I hope of these officers you know none are related by blood.
    Not by blood, but one has saved my life twice. Not all LEOs are out to get you. Some are ********, there's not doubt. But most are just normal people that are just trying to do the best job they can. Do they make mistakes? Oh yeah. But so does everybody else at some point or another. I'd rather give people a chance than assume that they are all out to get me.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Not by blood, but one has saved my life twice. Not all LEOs are out to get you. Some are ********, there's not doubt. But most are just normal people that are just trying to do the best job they can. Do they make mistakes? Oh yeah. But so does everybody else at some point or another. I'd rather give people a chance than assume that they are all out to get me.

Yep, I kind had a feeling gogdawgs was "opening month and inserting foot", again. Of course he's free to do that. But you're correct people of all sorts in all jobs, and on forums can be big richards.
    Last edited by jbone; 07-28-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Yup, it's the joy of having all these freedoms that we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    RCW 9.41.240 Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050,or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;
    (2) At the person's fixed place of business; or
    (3) On real property under his or her control.
    For someone that does not even live in Washington sure nailed it short and simple, way back in this thread.

Pst follow and read the links
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The cops that gave you such erroneous false information about gun laws obviously were mistaken. We must know the real answers, located in the statutes, in order to prevent the police officers who are mistaken about the laws from causing us legal problems. A police officer's erroneous beliefs regarding the law can cause us to be convicted of felonies if we allow it because we would rather give them a chance.

I carry a gun because there is a very small percentage of the general populace that IS out to get me. I know the laws and my rights because there is a very small percentage of police officers and other government officials that IS out to get me.
    AND, a good percentage of them work for Seattle PD

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    AND, a good percentage of them work for Seattle PD
    As much as it would be nice to say only Seattle has bad cops, the whole cop culture is permeated with "bad apples".

When looking at the choices, which ones are the bad apples?