• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Movie theater searching purses.

bowb

Heard from a friend today that went to a matinee that they were searching purses at the Edwards theater. Purses. I laughed at that, I can not remember that last time a female went on a shooting spree. Also no one was getting the wand, and no metal detectors. Security theater at its best. Her purse was also full of unauthorized candy and drinks and they were told is was ok, lots of people do it. I will have to see if they put up a no firearms sign, and given that they like to ignore signs, if I ever go to that theater I think I will to.

MUDDY

really? what gives them the right to search???????? and what if they find a carry companion?????? no signage. to hell with em..... and search a purse....... no bra searches???????

i would love to see their reaction if one of us was to OC in there.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The fact that it is private propery is what gives them the right to search. As well as to do just about anything else as a condition of entry.

While we as a nation have imposed limits on what the government may do to us, we as a nation cannot impose very many limits on what owners of private property do to us. Most of the limitations that are allowed address places of public accommodation insofar as addressing who must be accommodated. In other words, the anti-discrimination based on race, color, sex, national orogin laws.

and given that they like to ignore signs, if I ever go to that theater I think I will to.

Thank you for spoiling things for the rest of us. One's goal as a law-abiding citizen ought to be abiding by the law. And if a business puts up a sign governing entry to their property we as law-abiding citizens ought to respect and comply with the condition(s) specified by the sign - or we ought to decide that since we do not desire to comply we will not enter. Picking and choosing which signs you will obey makes you a BG - then it is only a matter of degree to distinguish between you and the guy who goes around shooting up theaters full of innocent people.

stay safe.

ecocks

The fact that it is private propery is what gives them the right to search. As well as to do just about anything else as a condition of entry.

While we as a nation have imposed limits on what the government may do to us, we as a nation cannot impose very many limits on what owners of private property do to us. Most of the limitations that are allowed address places of public accommodation insofar as addressing who must be accommodated. In other words, the anti-discrimination based on race, color, sex, national orogin laws.

Thank you for spoiling things for the rest of us. One's goal as a law-abiding citizen ought to be abiding by the law. And if a business puts up a sign governing entry to their property we as law-abiding citizens ought to respect and comply with the condition(s) specified by the sign - or we ought to decide that since we do not desire to comply we will not enter. Picking and choosing which signs you will obey makes you a BG - then it is only a matter of degree to distinguish between you and the guy who goes around shooting up theaters full of innocent people.

stay safe.

What he said....

Put up a sign that you don't allow guns on premises and you just told me that you don't want my business. All the folks who keep compromising their principles by going in there anyway convince the owners that their program is working.

bowb

As an idealist I would love to not give business to those I philosophically do not agree with. Realistically, this is not going to happen.

The list of people that are spoiling it does not have my name on it. In Idaho signs do not have force of law and I have no problem ignoring business' policies. If they want me to leave they will have to ask as I am not sure which policies they are apparently following on any given day.

I am also not sure who the rest of us is. I can only assume other ocers exist as the number of other ocers, beside Leo, that I have seen is exactly 0.

My principles may not align with yours and that is just how it is.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

MUDDY

so if a business that is open to the public demands to search. and some say that they own it, they can make the rules. where is the line drawn. your pockets? your waistband? inside your boots? your wife's purse? her thigh holster under her skirt? where do we stop bending over.

i too would not patronize such a place but as was mentioned above it is not always practical for some of you.

bowb

so if a business that is open to the public demands to search. and some say that they own it, they can make the rules. where is the line drawn. your pockets? your waistband? inside your boots? your wife's purse? her thigh holster under her skirt? where do we stop bending over.

i too would not patronize such a place but as was mentioned above it is not always practical for some of you.

A business does not really have the right to search. They can ask. I can refuse. I might not gain entrance if I refuse.

How invasive of a search they can get away with I have no idea.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

twoskinsonemanns

stay safe.

You've never brought any food/drink into a theater?

Jay Jacobs

"Movie theater searching purses. "

I wonder, just how many shotguns and "assault" rifles can a lady hide in a purse anyway?

AK47hero

doesn't make sense!

the nut job walks up to the ticket taker "you can't have guns in the theater" bang bang bang! sprint into the theater more bangs. I don't see how anything was prevented!

more knee jerks from the protectionists

i would quit my job if my boss told me to tell someone they can't carry.

Last edited:

We-the-People

Most people don't have that luxury and are living paycheck to paycheck, barely (if even that) paying the bills. If you have the ability to quit your job for an order that you consider immoral, whatever it is, you are in the vast majority of working Americans with mortgages, car payments, and little mouths to feed.

Just saying.

WalkingWolf

Certainly theaters are not a must have. I can understand essentials, but the movie theater?

Here is a thought Netflix and Redbox are carry friendly! They don't care if you are armed in your home watching a movie. I think the theater industry needs to make a choice. Either provide a safe environment from terrorism, or prepare to lose business. Come on we have been told for a decade that Movie theaters are prime targets, and they have poor to no security and will not allow customers to defend themselves. If the theater had just ordinary ushers at the exists this tragedy might have been averted.

ecocks

Edwards Theatres has been posted for a long time.

Northern Lights Cinema in Nampa WELCOMES carry, both open and concealed.

Exactly. That's why I took all my movie-watching business there or waited until it came out on DVD. It really wasn't all that difficult despite those who continually protest that they "had no choice". I simply refuse to do business at furniture companies, restaurants and the like which don't support the principles and beliefs I have.

You can sign petitions all night long but they are not going to change unless they see a threat to the continuity of their business.

Yes, there were a few places where you simply cannot avoid going. The St. Al's Clinics and Hospitals that my 80+ year old parents went to for health care for instance. And yes, I suppose I could have insisted they find doctors and hospitals that do allow carry (not sure there are any hospitals like that in the region but there certainly are doctors' offices). When I had to take them there and get them into the right offices I reluctantly disarmed, but refusing to honor the wishes of the owners is every bit as flawed as not following the Constitution, breaking the speed limit laws or buying alcohol for a minor, etc.

Find alternatives, don't whine that it's inconvenient or a bit more expensive unless you're facing having to drive for truly unreasonable periods that disrupt your life. Principles that are only adhere to when convenient are what we complain about the anti's and the left always using as an excuse.

Most here know that my business is as pro-gun as any business can be short of issuing loaner firearms to customers. Those very, very rare customers (only 2 as far as I know) who protested I was not providing a safe environment were sent out the door with no apologies.

However, I cannot support my freedom to encourage safe and lawful carry of firearms in my place of business without supporting other business people's right to run their business the way they wish.

Last edited:

ecocks

the nut job walks up to the ticket taker "you can't have guns in the theater" bang bang bang! sprint into the theater more bangs. I don't see how anything was prevented!

more knee jerks from the protectionists

Good for you!

Principles are made for guiding life not life guiding your principles.

You have my respect on this issue if it means anything.

Those who break the law, disrespect the rights of others or posture for effect I simply don't think that much of.

hermannr

I am surprised that any theater would do anything to discourage patrons. I have not had a reason to go to a theater in 45 years, still don't see any reason to...After the wife and I got married I could have all the entertainment I could handle at home...:)

davidmcbeth

Banned

Well, at least it wasn't in a purse! Purses should be made illegal ! What the heck do they need a samsonite piece of luggage while going a few miles from home? Lets see what we have in der:
Kleenex
Toilet paper
Complete "Twightlight" series books
Kindle with complete "Twighlight" series
DVD set of complete "Twighlight" series
DVD, director's cut of "Titanic"
DVD player
6 batteries for DVD player
Headlamp of '64 GTO
Dishes
Towels
Cutlery