• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Movie theater searching purses.

M

McX

some years back me and my buddy went out on a quest; seeing all the concerts and people we wanted to see before they died, or we died. to that end:

Got felt up going into the Chicago Theater for a concert one time, wanded occassionally. my buddy must have looked realy sinister, he got grabbed, and wanded all the time.

ever notice when you go to a concert, all the cops are outside the venue, and none inside? Guess they dont appreciate good music.

got a funny to add; went to a concert in illinois, afterwards, they set up a table, and the groups sat to sign autographs. we bought a pile of t-shirts, and started down the autograph line. got to one band member, he looks at my stack of shirts and says: i'm not going to see these on ebay am i? my buddy, quickly comes back with: not until you die. he smiled and signed away.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

:D

I rarely go either, too expensive and the movie will be available in the future for a fraction of the cost of a ticket. I can wait.

I just don't get the romance of the movie theater~~ All I have to do is wait a year, and watch the movie in the comfort of my own home, with my own food, or delivered food. If I have to go to the restroom I can pause the movie, I can turn the sound up or down, and I never have to put up with someone's annoying brat. I really cannot understand why the concept of going to the movies did not die a long time ago.

DocWalker

Edwards Theatres has been posted for a long time.

Northern Lights Cinema in Nampa WELCOMES carry, both open and concealed.

I have OCed to the Edwards theater on overland about 5-6 times (last time was about a month ago) and nobody has said anything to me. I haven't noticed any signs, they sold me tickets, they sold me popcorn, they said nothing. A few people give me the gogolee eyes but that is about it.

carracer

Both Edwards in Nampa have the circled slashed pistol and verbage prominently displayed at the ticket purchase area. Have been that way for a couple of years.

WalkingWolf

Their rights as a property owner give them the right. They can require strip searches as a condition to enter their property, if they want to. You also have rights and can decide not to enter their property. I feel sure their reaction to OC would be to ask you to leave. They also have that right.

I think you are wrong on the strip searches, I am pretty sure in most states that would be sexual assault. Personal property rights do not allow crimes against a person.

ecocks

I think you are wrong on the strip searches, I am pretty sure in most states that would be sexual assault. Personal property rights do not allow crimes against a person.

There is no assault when you submit willingly. That said, strip searches is a grab for an extreme circumstance in hopes of making a point. If we don't tolerate libs and anti's making up their "What if a person is crazy but..."-scenarios then let's not grasp for extremes trying to present some flawed point about rights and such.

I can decide to only serve red-headed, bikini-clad, women in my restaurant and, while I may go out of business, I won't be breaking any laws.

You miss the point that BEFORE the search is performed, you made the decision to enter the property. Of course, it must be an "informed decision" which is clearly explained and understood and, as many point out, you are not being forced to do this. There would need to be a setup where children are not able to be molested, public decency laws are adhered to and, just like a doctor or a TSA officer, you would need to be careful not to search in such a way that was deemed an assault. The strip searches in prisons are not a license for rape and humiliation.

Then again, who is going to go to a restaurant or dry-cleaner which strip searches patrons? Let's not be silly anymore than let's not prattle about our rights being applicable anywhere you chose to wander.

If the sign on the door says all customers are subject to x-ray, strip-search and detailed visual inspection it's your decision to proceed on into the business or property.

And again, this doesn't mean regulated monopolies such as food concessionaires at public lands, utility companies where everyone must go for services and the like. We are talking about normal businesses engaged in regular activities.

Last edited:

We-the-People

I can decide to only serve red-headed, bikini-clad, women in my restaurant and, while I may go out of business, I won't be breaking any laws.

Don't be so sure about that. You're fine with the "red-headed, bikini-clad" part but when you differentiate...the left calls it discriminate which, by the proper use of the word is, unfortunately, also an accurate use of language but one that has a prejudicial onus attached to it...based on gender, you have crossed the "protected class" line. There are exemptions that allow differentiation based on "protected-class" status so it COULD be okay, but those exemptions are few and far between as well as constantly being erroded.

If your business in any way affects interstate commerce, federal law applies (yeah, that's bogus but that is what we have to deal with in reality). Do you purchase ANY products that were shipped in interstate commerce? It is almost guaranteed that you did (serve any seafood or beef?). Have any customers that are travellers from another state....ooops the feds will call that "affecting interstate commerce". Yup, bogus but we let it get this way.

So, you probably can't limit the bikini-clad, red-heads to just women.....ewwwwwwww. Such is the state of our "freedom" today.

rscottie

So now we have to get searched to see a movie?

No thanks, I'll stay home and watch it on my 55 inch big screen when it comes out on Blockbuster or Netflix.

robert1970

really? what gives them the right to search???????? and what if they find a carry companion?????? no signage. to hell with em..... and search a purse....... no bra searches???????

i would love to see their reaction if one of us was to OC in there.

I would do it

WalkingWolf

Of course, a minor can not consent to anything. I assumed our conversation was limited to adult humans. Are you including farm animals and domesticated animals, too? Neither Penn State nor this thread has anything to do with a fully mentally functioning, sane, human, (or any other adjective you care to throw in) adult consenting to be searched.

Do farm animals patronize movie theaters? Really many of the customers of theaters are young and underage. What is with the stupid comments?

silver nekode

Just to give a slightly different view point on this, I've worked security for a while, and a lot of businesses like to do post incident coverage, meaning they hire security for a few weeks after it's too late to matter, because it makes their customers(read sheeple) feel more comfortable. I know from experience that edwards has a standing national contract with a security company that already spells out what the security company does on site, and it includes the searches, not for weapons, but for recording devices. It may be that they hired on the same company under the standing contract and kept the exact same provisions. As for the searches, you're exactly right, the person being searched has to consent, most security companies won't even touch the purse, they will ask the owner to move items if they need to see deeper. The wanding also falls under the same reasoning. The security guards won't do anything if you don't consent, you just aren't allowed in. Ultimately it's up to the customers to convince the business to change their policies, if enough people leave and tell the theater owners that it's because of the searches and/or gun policy, the business will either change the policy or go broke(I know... it's a big if). And just to clarify, I'm not defending the no gun policy, it's as stupid for a theater as anywhere else, just explaining some of the bureaucracy that leads to these types of practices.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Thank you for spoiling things for the rest of us. One's goal as a law-abiding citizen ought to be abiding by the law. And if a business puts up a sign governing entry to their property we as law-abiding citizens ought to respect and comply with the condition(s) specified by the sign - or we ought to decide that since we do not desire to comply we will not enter. Picking and choosing which signs you will obey makes you a BG - then it is only a matter of degree to distinguish between you and the guy who goes around shooting up theaters full of innocent people.

stay safe.

I am a law-abiding citizen, and I ignore "no firearm" signs when I go out. In Ky, it is not against the law to ignore these signs, so am I somehow less competent than other people because I do not give up my right to defend myself simply because a business places a sign on their door? What is the difference in my walking into a store with a sign on the door and walking into one without? The owner does not know I am carrying a firearm, so what is the difference? The reason 70 people were shot in Colorado was because people did not carry their firearms into the theater, but the criminal sure did. I would rather ignore a sign and save lives than leave my firearm in the car and coward in fear waiting to be the next victim if such a tragedy happened where I was shopping or watching a movie. I obey the law, but a sign prohibiting firearms is not a law, nor is it against the law to ignore that sign. I would rather save lives than allow them to die.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
So now we have to get searched to see a movie?

No thanks, I'll stay home and watch it on my 55 inch big screen when it comes out on Blockbuster or Netflix.

Don't forget Amazon! It will be on Amazon first! HAHA. They already have the second season of The Walking Dead! It was awesome!

ecocks

Don't be so sure about that. You're fine with the "red-headed, bikini-clad" part but when you differentiate...the left calls it discriminate which, by the proper use of the word is, unfortunately, also an accurate use of language but one that has a prejudicial onus attached to it...based on gender, you have crossed the "protected class" line. There are exemptions that allow differentiation based on "protected-class" status so it COULD be okay, but those exemptions are few and far between as well as constantly being erroded.

If your business in any way affects interstate commerce, federal law applies (yeah, that's bogus but that is what we have to deal with in reality). Do you purchase ANY products that were shipped in interstate commerce? It is almost guaranteed that you did (serve any seafood or beef?). Have any customers that are travellers from another state....ooops the feds will call that "affecting interstate commerce". Yup, bogus but we let it get this way.

So, you probably can't limit the bikini-clad, red-heads to just women.....ewwwwwwww. Such is the state of our "freedom" today.

You know, I have to "sit" corrected here. I should have left well-enough alone with something more innocuous like left-handed people, people wearing swimsuits or people wearing green shirts. You are right that I crossed into the protected groups with the women addition (as much as I might wish otherwise, I do obey the law of the land and will do so until it reaches a point where American citizenship isn't worth anymore than some other).

My apologies.