• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"stupid" oc move in missouri!!!!

WalkingWolf

I appreciate that the OP's concern is for the movement, but here's a political fact: you will never get what you're after if you let bad publicity, or just fear of bad publicity, get in the way.

That's because on the rare occasions where you can't find an example of something doing what you consider "stupid" and harmful to the cause, the antis will create an example.

Texas is stuck without open carry precisely because the major gun lobbying group is paralyzed by fear of bad publicity. Don't let it stop Missouri from moving forward for OC preemption.

Yes we see the same thing from Florida residents, they are so scared of anybody stepping up and offending the anti's that they back bite each other. And they will never get open carry back that way by sucking up with the people who don't care, and kicking the people who do.

Yes we see the same thing from Florida residents, they are so scared of anybody stepping up and offending the anti's that they back bite each other. And they will never get open carry back that way by sucking up with the people who don't care, and kicking the people who do.

Kinda sounds like MO.

papa bear

after what happened in CO. gives me more reason to carry.
like i have told Colin Goddard if i had been there the shooter would not have gotten to him

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just to play devils advocate,what did he do wrong? Should we all stop carrying our pistols in public because of the attack on CO?

Christian County Sheriff Joey Kyle said the man didn't do anything illegal. from the linked article

I agree with sraacke -- while some may consider it in "bad taste" -- I think its a guy who has done nothing wrong, like the sheriff said.

I have been told "you have done nothing wrong but we want to talk to you" -- I tell them to piss off then. Arrest me or leave me alone.

(I would have carried 5 handguns, just to be safe) lol

Last edited:

Festus_Hagen

Kinda sounds like MO.
I have seen a lot of your posts , and you like to talk down about " the way certain people think things are done " quite a bit. Now, I ask you in a most sincere way .... let's not stray from the subject and keep it civil , what do you personally think we can do ( as a group ) to get OC legislation passed ? Once again, I am sincere in this question and in no way " baiting " you or anything . Just genuinly interested. I want to hear some ideas from you as well as others. Once again, let's do it like adults and be civil . :)

HolyOrangeJuice

In my state, at my age, I can only open carry. I have been open carrying for approx a year now. Should I put my weapon away and go unarmed because some idiot with a gun shot up a theater of idiots without guns? Law abiding citizens should not have to fear or worry about where they are carrying or how they carry as long as they are trained and legal to own one.

twoskinsonemanns

There's nothing distasteful at all about this. If he had been there that fateful night things may have ended differently.
Your so concerned playing the political game your losing sight of the fact that people OC day to day every where they go because they believe in it. Should people alter their routine because you think it is insensitive? Get back to the spirit OC. Take a short break from the politics for a moment.

xd shooter

A right isn't a right unless you have no fear of exercising it. At any time.

Now is an EXCELLENT time to be Open Carrying, and to those that Question it, point to Aurora and say, "not while I'm around".

I am amazed by those who supposedly are for Open Carrying (of which I imagine may of you here on OCDO are) are afraid of somebody ACTUALLY Open Carrying, and being afraid that if someone sees it and makes the news how that will be bad for all we're working for... :confused:

Really? You sound like those that think we shouldn't fly the American Flag except on special occasins so as not to offend anyone...:cry:

Festus_Hagen

I am amazed by those who supposedly are for Open Carrying (of which I imagine may of you here on OCDO are) are afraid of somebody ACTUALLY Open Carrying, and being afraid that if someone sees it and makes the news how that will be bad for all we're working for... :confused:
" Yea... nothing bad could possibly come from me carrying my gun openly because it's my right . "

http://maplewood-brentwood.patch.com/articles/open-carry-ban-passes-with-emergency-provision
http://eureka-wildwood.patch.com/ar...-in-wildwood-violates-rights-claims-residents
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_2350c380-c438-11e0-a23f-0019bb30f31a.html

We've seen what happens with the stroke of a pen . If everyone would tone down the testosterone and THINK for a little bit , you can see what happens . You ( used as a word to describe anyone, nobody particular ) go out attracting attention to get a reaction from the cops , someone gets their panties in a wad and they pass an ordinance against something that is lawful, but it "scares " people . No, it's not right, but it happens . We've seen it . Same thing with the theater IMO . Bad timing , poor judgment , whatever you want to call it. I call it common sense . It was just " too soon " . No, there is no "date" when to resume doing it . Again... common sense. It seems people want black and white answers, but it's not that way with this movement . It's just not.

BTW ... in those articles I pulled up from the web, the guy that is in 'em is the same guy everyone jumps down his throat about "catering to the politicians" or whatever. He's out there trying to do what he knows will work . I don't see most of the others ( a few exceptions ) in any articles I looked through, but I don't know everyone's real names either.

Really? You sound like those that think we shouldn't fly the American Flag except on special occasins so as not to offend anyone...:cry:
Really ..... ????

I'm curious, how are you involved in the movement to get OC preemption ? I may not have met you yet, but I'm sure I will at the Capitol at some point.

Last edited:

LoneEchoWolf

I am from Colorado, close to Aurora, actually I'm in Aurora as we speak, and to just add my two cents, i have my sidearm on my hip just as i always do, if i were to go see a movie tonight it wouldn't leave my side. my opinion is i wish more people would have carried that night and i cannot imagine anyone saying because of this that we all should just stop carrying, i understand wanting to tread lightly but really no way, be respectful and carry as you always do.

xd shooter

Sorry, I'm in Michigan, so I doubt you'll see me at your capital.

But I get what you're saying, because YOU'RE afraid of offending someone, you will give up your right to defend yourself.

Sorry, but you've already lost your right....:(

ChiangShih

As usual I'm with MSP on this one, it appears Festus as well.

OC can be restricted.

OC becomes restricted when there is proactive antis and bad PR.

Your "right" to oc is not a secured right as it can be taken with the stroke of a pen. If that ever does happen (as it seems unlikely preemption is going to happen) I will shed a tear for a lost liberty. However, I will not be able to help but laugh knowing a vast number of you zealous practitioners will have facilitated its removal.The massive pleasure I derive from posting "we told you so" in every thread will console my grief for our lost liberty.

Moreover, it is the small focused perspective many of you exhibit that drives away support from other 2A groups and curious, possibly sympathetic, onlookers. This is also what has rallied my contempt for many affiliated with this movement, and I know others, good OCers and activists, that feel the same way. Those most effective and reasonable seem to be driven away from this movement by the zealots and their beleaguering one-liners like "its muh right!" spouted irregardless of good favor, will and context.

I've said before, OCers do more damage to the movement than antigunners.

Last edited:

larueman

AND PEOPLE HERE WONDER WHY WE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH OC IN MISSOURI?

Right after the shooting in CO, some one does this:

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-man-wea...-ozark-movie-theater-20120721,0,6746502.story

OK, it is their right, but a little common sense people!

THIS IS "STUPID" IN A STATE WHERE WE ARE TRYING TO GET RIGHTS BACK, JUST PLAIN STUPID WITH A CAPITAL "S" AS IN STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!!

And there are people here who want our little group of 2A/OC advocates to post our "plans" on this open forum?

Here is a plan, behave yourselves and don't be "STUPID"!

Every few months some body pulls this garabage and it hits he media.... This, right after the disaster in CO is beyond anything reasonable!!!!

If you want to do something positive for the OC movement is Misosuri, sit down at your kitchen table and write a check to the two peoples' campaigns who introduced bills for OC preemption in Missouri last session!

Doesn't matter how much, both of these fine people get many small contributions, they are not big time money people, they are not "status quo" politicians.
They are both so pro-2A you can smell the solvent when you stand next to them!

This is what will make OC rights happen!
Enclose a "NOTE", thank you for your support of open carry rights in Missouri.

You can tell them mspgunner sent you, and "NO" I do not get a kick back, but they know who I am. This wil lhelp the cause.
Being stupid does NOT!

House member:
Citizens to Elect Paul Curtman
PO Box 355
Pacific, MO. 63069

Senate:
State Senator Brian Nieves
PO Box 1026
Washington, MO. 63090

Like Nike says "Just do it".

I knew there was a reason I dont visit these forums but every few months. You form cliques and its your way or no way.

mechanicworkman

Understandably open carry can be a delicate subject given the current “situation” with the recent events of the last few days. Will I call this person “stupid” No, I don’t think I will. I will however say that it was very I’ll timed. It was also very insensitive given the events that took place in Colorado.

I also understand that when you’re playing the political game with politics whose side you’re on can be confusing at times. I understand these people that are in the political position of power and have the ability to sway public opinion & change laws in favor of Open carry need to to feel re-assured that there will not be a backlash thus resulting in them not being re-elected.

I am not debating that working with the political types most of which care very little for actual rights and only looking good to their peers, and vote according to their thinking of being re-elected, and using you as a tool for bettering there career can be VERY difficult. I believe that that every politician gets into politics for the essence but, at some point the bargaining gives way for all out this is the way it goes its “my way or the highway”.

Calling someone “STUPID” because they don’t stop exercising a right to self defense that they exercise regularly because of a recent event I call silly. If anything I would say that statistically an uptick in the amount of people who carry either they carry openly or concealed would be seen.
Now a quick question to you if you are truly for gun rights:

Would I be wrong in saying that you should without and doubt and unequivocally “You should support all methods of Legal carry at any time, and any place not stated as illegal within the law” as

The amount of time you/everyone else who have spent rallying for “open carry” then condemning someone for doing just that because of an event that happened in another state.

I as well would like to know how long we have our 2A rights suspended. Due to the actions of a psycho?
2 days? 2 weeks? 2 months. I have not seen a press release. Only things I have seen so far is the UN attempting to infringe on our rights but, nothing so far the 2nd amendment has been suspended.

I will be dammed if I change the way I carry because of some crazy nutcase. If anything I will attempt to be more aware of surrounding are more areas. These days I doubt that any location is off limits to someone of unsound mental state.

The ability of any political figure that is unwilling or unable to see the inherent difference between someone who is mentally broken vs and the average good hearted American needs to reevaluate who they serve and we can and will remember you during Election time IF they voted poorly during there term I will vote differently.

There will ALWAYS be something or someone in the news. There will ALWAYS be those fighting against returning this country to the vision our founding fathers.

In summery I challenge you and every other American who calls themselves a supporter of the 2nd amendment to support it to the fullest extent possible without regard to your personal choice and type of carry. Everyone of us better sit down and make sure you know which side of the line your on because in the end the only one we can blame will be ourselves and our fellow Americans.

I have seen a lot of your posts , and you like to talk down about " the way certain people think things are done " quite a bit. Now, I ask you in a most sincere way .... let's not stray from the subject and keep it civil , what do you personally think we can do ( as a group ) to get OC legislation passed ? Once again, I am sincere in this question and in no way " baiting " you or anything . Just genuinly interested. I want to hear some ideas from you as well as others. Once again, let's do it like adults and be civil . :)

First off I am not physically nor financially able to travel to Jeff City to help work on OC pre-emption. I have in the past tried to make suggestions and was told if you don't walk the walk and talk the talk in the halls of the Capitol shut the f**k up as you have no right to criticize anything that was done or was attempted.
This is all I have to say about this particular subject at this time and am not going to name names or point fingers at this time.

Good luck on your future endeavors on OC.

OC for ME

We have a problem with pandering political vermin in Missouri. Political vermin who have taken our money, that we freely deliver unto them, in the hopes that we may buy preemption. That we may buy access to our political vermin.....that we buy a seat at the table.

My investment has brought me zero returns.

Sheriff Kyle apparently gets it because he states the obvious. It is the rare moment where the truth is freely give by LE and even more rare that the media 'prints' it for public consumption.

Some nitwittery from the 'reasonably minded' amongst us:

I think several posters are not considering three key components:

1. The majority of the employees at the theater are minors. A day after a massive shooting, of course the employees, the employees' parents, and the customers are on edge. This privately-owned business has to follow the law and make sure that their employees, especially those under-age, are in a comfortable working environment. A man carrying a weapon openly, regardless of the fact that it was legal, creates a nightmare for maintaining that comfortable working environment in such a close time frame to that massacre. The theater's first duty was to assure the safety and comfort of its employees and and customers.

2. This man's rights were not infringed upon. He had the right to carry the weapon, just as the business had the right to ask him to leave it in the car and not bring it into their occupied building. They have the right to refuse service, issue or not issue refunds, and ask someone to leave the theater foro being loud, obnoxious, or sneaking into an R-rated film. Of course they have the right to ask a man to leave an openly-displayed firearm in his car.

3. Like it or not, stereotypes exist and most people rely on them for a first impression, especially in situations involving guns. No one but the theater employees know what impression this guy gave.

http://discussions.ky3.com/20/ky3/k...nto-an-ozark-movie-theater-20120721/10?page=2
How on earth does that theater assure safety? How did the theater in Colorado assure safety?
The 4A is a constitutionally protected right also.
Was the theater deserted at 3 PM this Saturday past.

Did the lawfully armed citizen waive his rights? Or did he defend his rights? Was he unlawfully disarmed for 'officer safety'? Was he unlawfully compelled to provide ID?

A detailed accounting of the facts of the encounter would be most enlightening.

Festus_Hagen

First off I am not physically nor financially able to travel to Jeff City to help work on OC pre-emption. I have in the past tried to make suggestions and was told if you don't walk the walk and talk the talk in the halls of the Capitol shut the f**k up as you have no right to criticize anything that was done or was attempted.
This is all I have to say about this particular subject at this time and am not going to name names or point fingers at this time.

Sorry you can't make it to JC . That is what lets the lawmakers know how we feel, in person and an introduction makes a good first impression. I also understand not being able to make it though .

What suggestions do you have ? I may have missed them but am willing to listen .

Good luck on your future endeavors on OC.
Thanks man . Same to you. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To everyone:

It's been said over and over, we are all looking towards the same goal, we just aren't agreed upon how that should be done. Some are more radical than others .Some are more subdued in their approach. I think we all would also agree that this sort of thing SHOULDN'T be a problem, but reality shows us that it is . Short of every person that has an interaction with LEO over OC filing a lawsuit, the only thing I see happening is people bickering back and forth about " It's my RIGHT ! " , which may be true, but it gets infringed on every single day, and then coming her and whining about it.

Step up, do something constructive . Stop whining . It gets you no where. No... it gets US no where.

REALteach4u

We have a problem with pandering political vermin in Missouri. Political vermin who have taken our money, that we freely deliver unto them, in the hopes that we may buy preemption. That we may buy access to our political vermin.....that we buy a seat at the table.

My investment has brought me zero returns.

Sheriff Kyle apparently gets it because he states the obvious. It is the rare moment where the truth is freely give by LE and even more rare that the media 'prints' it for public consumption.

Some nitwittery from the 'reasonably minded' amongst us:

How on earth does that theater assure safety? How did the theater in Colorado assure safety?
The 4A is a constitutionally protected right also.
Was the theater deserted at 3 PM this Saturday past.

Did the lawfully armed citizen waive his rights? Or did he defend his rights? Was he unlawfully disarmed for 'officer safety'? Was he unlawfully compelled to provide ID?

A detailed accounting of the facts of the encounter would be most enlightening.

I like where you're going with this. I too have wondered if Sheriff Kyle realizes that the carrying individual's rights may have been violated due to the lack of RAS or PC on the matter. Fortunately he put it out there that the person did nothing unlawful because Mo is a carry State. Pluses and minuses there for Sheriff Kyle.

OC for ME, aren't businesses absolved of liability for criminal acts occurring on their property and within their facilities in Missouri? I recall a lengthy converstation (some time ago) with several here and on missouricarry regarding this type of issue in relation to forcing businesses to assume liability if they post or removing their right to post all together. The Virginia Tech lawsuit was one of great importance. The families that held out got the decision that was so badly neeeded....the college was liable.

Last edited: