• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

travel to texas often

JamesC

hey guys, i live in southwest oklahoma but do most of my work in the northern part of the texas panhandle. i dont have my CWL yet im still waiting on the OSBI to send it to me. i know i can travel into texas with my guns concealed in my truck but my main concern is what to do when/if i am stopped while carrying concealed. Oklahoma is a "shall notify" state but i cant seem to find if texas is. i appreciate any input you guys can give me.

rushcreek2

Although I am now a Coloradoan, I formerly was a Texas resident, still spend a good deal of my time in Texas, and have held a Texas CHL for 16 years.

If you had your OK handgun license, which is recognized by Texas, you are required to inform LE upon a traffic stop if you are carrying. You are not REQUIRED to inform if you are not a licensee. You would want to inform if the handgun was in the same console/glove box where you keep your registration & insurance card- which is probably not a good idea anyway.

This seems a bit strange but that is due to the fact that the change in the law (in 2007 - I believe it was) decriminalizing the UNLICENSED carry of a handgun not in plain view inside of YOUR vehicle passenger compartment is not related to the pre-existing CHL law requiring you to notify LEO's.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Yes, you are required to inform, but there's no longer a penalty for failing to do so.

By "required to inform", that means any time a peace officer or magistrate demands your identification, and you are carrying a concealed handgun, you're required to present your handgun license wtih your other state ID or DL.

hermannr

Yes, you are required to inform, but there's no longer a penalty for failing to do so.

By "required to inform", that means any time a peace officer or magistrate demands your identification, and you are carrying a concealed handgun, you're required to present your handgun license wtih your other state ID or DL.

This is not the same "required to inform" that OK and OH has though. You must inform if requested to do so, you do not need to volunteer that you are armed...

markyd

So if you are not required to inform, how is it any different than the required to inform law in OK? Also, I am going on a trip to Nevada, and I will either be staying at the Golden Nugget Las Vegas or the Venetian Hotel Las Vegas, and I am wondering what the carry laws are there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
You ARE required to inform in TX (IF you are carrying). There USED to be a penalty if you did not (IF carrying), but not now.

Who knows why they (TX) tell you to inform (IF carrying) but there's no penalty for failing to do so.

I guess that's "the law" for you, all convoluted and such...

If you are NOT carrying (TX), you don't need to inform. If the cop asks, say you didn't inform because the gun is not ON you presently, so since you were not carrying, you don't need to say anything -- as per the law. It may be in your car under/on your seat (concealed of course) -- doesn't matter -- but if it's not ON your person, you are not "carrying."

Last edited:

Jack House

You ARE required to inform in TX (IF you are carrying). There USED to be a penalty if you did not (IF carrying), but not now.

Who knows why they (TX) tell you to inform (IF carrying) but there's no penalty for failing to do so.
Because the legislators never learned how walk, let alone run or leap. They're still crawling and occasionally taking baby steps.