• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lake lansing park north(Ingham Co. Parks) no weapons sign

B

Bikenut

Worse yet, even if you know to ignore the sign, some busy-body or soccer-mom may not... they see the sign, then see your firearm, then decide to either A.) confront you or B.) call the po-po....

I think the fight to get the signs down is a good one, though I understand what Phil says... if they say "no" then what is the next step.... the next step takes $$$
There is another "next step" if a concerted effort is made to address those illegal ordinances and signs... and a list is compiled of how many, and which, municipalities complied with State law........................ and how many, but more importantly which, municipalities elected to continue to break State law.... and that list can be used to show lawmakers in Lansing that there really IS a problem with municipalities engaging in intentional passive enforcement of illegal ordinances/signs.

Won't cost much to compile a list.... but it will cost each and every individual who is willing to put their time and their own dime on the line to go out and confront those municipalities with illegal ordinances/signs... yet that cost is still a lot less than a full blown court case. The question is... how many of us are willing to get out there attending council meetings and actually demand municipalities comply with the law?

(My admiration and respect is extended to all those who already have taken it upon themselves to attend council meetings and address illegal ordinances/signs!)

And since lapeer20m has started a thread asking for how many municipalities have complied with State law in reference to illegal ordinances/signs

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-have-removed-signs-and-or-changed-ordinances

perhaps that "list" is about to come into being. And perhaps when our lawmakers are presented with factual evidence that municipalities are in violation of the law it will spur them to get off their collective asses and actually do something to force local units of government to obey the law... just like those local units demand us "common folk" obey the law.

And, because the issue really isn't about guns but truly is about local government not obeying State law, perhaps that list can be used to "leak" to the media how many municipal council officials (and who they are too) think they don't have to obey State law.

Edited to add...
The above sounds all good and everything... but maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part. But I do wish folks would think about it!

Last edited by a moderator:

lil_freak_66

they handled this remarkably fast, i wrote them sunday afternoon and here it is only thursday afternoon and its been solved, the copy of the resolution was basically a page authorizing the change back in 2004 and then listed the new rules, which coincide with the ones posted on the website, the "new" signs are supposed to list only discharging as being against the rules regarding firearms, i tried attaching the pdf but the file size was too large.

Mr. Hilliker

I did some digging and found out what is going on with the rules signs. In 2004 the rules were changed to reflect appropriate language regarding the carrying of firearms and new signs were to be installed. Apparently, the copy that you read either did not get replaced or the one they used was the old version.

We have printed new copies for all of our parks and I have instructed all of the Park Managers to ensure that the correct version is posted. I have attached the resolution that authorized the change.

Thank you for pointing this mistake out to us, I appreciate the fact that you took time to contact us.

Willis Bennett, Director
Ingham County Parks Department
Ph. 517-244-7191
Fax 517-244-7190

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
they handled this remarkably fast, i wrote them sunday afternoon and here it is only thursday afternoon and its been solved, the copy of the resolution was basically a page authorizing the change back in 2004 and then listed the new rules, which coincide with the ones posted on the website, the "new" signs are supposed to list only discharging as being against the rules regarding firearms, i tried attaching the pdf but the file size was too large.

Mr. Hilliker

I did some digging and found out what is going on with the rules signs. In 2004 the rules were changed to reflect appropriate language regarding the carrying of firearms and new signs were to be installed. Apparently, the copy that you read either did not get replaced or the one they used was the old version.

We have printed new copies for all of our parks and I have instructed all of the Park Managers to ensure that the correct version is posted. I have attached the resolution that authorized the change.

Thank you for pointing this mistake out to us, I appreciate the fact that you took time to contact us.

Willis Bennett, Director
Ingham County Parks Department
Ph. 517-244-7191
Fax 517-244-7190

My experience is that this is usually the outcome... much like stainless' thread about ocsd. I think that SOMETIMES we see only what we expect.

HKcarrier

FWIW, Willis Bennett is a pretty good old boy from what I can tell... I've known of him for over a decade.