• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Parks / County Parks

Raggs

Hi all,
My family and i plan on camping either in a state land campground or county campground, are there any pitfalls carry wise, CC or OC that I should be aware of?

lil_freak_66

if its .gov owned then mcl 123.1102 applies.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(n5...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-123-1102

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.
A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991

nothing they can legally do to restrict your otherwise lawful carry. Note they can still restrict discharging and attempting to take game.

Michigander

These are the relevant laws.

324.43510 Carrying or transporting firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow or trap; license required; exception; applicability to taking of wild animal.

Sec. 43510.

(1) Subject to subsection (2) and except as provided in section 43513, a person shall not carry or transport a firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow, or a trap while in any area frequented by wild animals unless that person has in his or her possession a license as required under this part.

(2) This act or a rule promulgated or order issued by the department or the commission under this act shall not be construed to prohibit a person from transporting a pistol or carrying a loaded pistol, whether concealed or not, if either of the following applies:

(a) The person has in his or her possession a license to carry a concealed pistol under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435.

(b) The person is authorized under the circumstances to carry a concealed pistol without obtaining a license to carry a concealed pistol under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, as provided for under any of the following:

(i) Section 12a of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.432a.

(ii) Section 227, 227a, 231, or 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.227, 750.227a, 750.231, and 750.231a.

(3) Subsection (2) does not authorize an individual to take or attempt to take a wild animal except as provided by law.

324.43513 Carrying, transporting, or possessing firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow; hunting license not required; carrying or possessing unloaded weapon.

Sec. 43513.

(1) A person may carry, transport, or possess a firearm without a hunting license if the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and either enclosed in a case or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle. A person may carry, transport, or possess a slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow without a hunting license if the slingshot, bow, or crossbow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.

(2) Regardless of whether the person has a license or it is open season for the taking of game, a person may carry, transport, possess or discharge a firearm, a bow and arrow, or a crossbow if all of the following apply:

(a) The person is not taking or attempting to take game but is engaged in 1 or more of the following activities:

(i) Target practice using an identifiable, artificially constructed target or targets.

(ii) Practice with silhouettes, plinking, skeet, or trap.

(iii) Sighting-in the firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow.

(b) The person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of, either of the following:

(i) The owner of the property on which the activity under subdivision (a) is taking place.

(ii) The lessee of that property for a term of not less than 1 year.

(c) The owner or lessee of the property does not receive remuneration for the activity under subdivision (a).

(3) A person may carry or possess an unloaded weapon at any time if the person is traveling to or from or participating in a historical reenactment.

Michigander

If you have a CPL, your interpretation seems quite correct in regards to handguns.

But it also seems that in terms of long guns, that you need to keep them unloaded in the barrel and magazine, and encased, unless you are hunting.

Michigander

Are you saying that a person can't shoot targets with long guns then?

No, what I'm saying is that if you're simply there, and not doing some target shooting, that the law applies. In other words, you can target shoot at safe back stops away from the roads and other activities on state land where legal, but that laws restrictions do apply if you're, say, hiking, or doing some other activity which the law that doesn't contain an exemption for.

Last edited: