• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Outing with Keens (part 2)

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
After leaving Brighton, intending to drive out to Deckers to explore a Jeep road I'd heard might be fun, we found ourselves in close proximity to that apartment where the Movie Massacre POS lived, and had rigged with a plethora of explosive devices. We decided to have a look at what might be happening.

We drove south on Peoria, and cops were all over the place, stationed as far as a block from the apartment complex in question. Fire department resources were on hand, and it appeared they were prepared for a fire as hoses were attached to hydrants and expanded with water in the tubes. We drove around to the west, and I noticed somebody with a steno pad talking with a woman. Evidently he had finished with her and she walked away as we approached. I stopped.

"I get that you must be a reporter sir." I said as I climbed out of my Jeep and walked over. The man could plainly see that I was open carrying my RIA 1911, and didn't flinch as he answered my question. "Yes, I am a reporter."
"This tragedy has a great many people reacting in a visceral manner and some are stating that we should have more gun control. I am a member of Open Carry Colorado, a part of the Open Carry dot Org internet forum. We are law abiding citizens who carry a sidearm so that we may defend our lives from criminals in our midst. I would like for somebody, somewhere, to understand that we are as outraged as any in America over what happened at the Aurora theater, and some of us wish we'd been there so that we might have taken that guy down, if possible. We carry to defend our lives, our family members, our friends, and those around us in order that they do not end up being victims of crime."

"It is ironic," the reporter told me, "That you should happen along just now. I only just got off the phone with Rocky Mountain Gun Owners and they gave me a great deal of information on their position in all this."

"Well, they are good folks there, and I am also a member of RMGO. The cries for stronger gun laws are not the answer. We have strong laws to prohbit assault, assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, murder in the 1st degree, and all the rest. Hell, it's even illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits of Aurora. The point is this. The man decided to violate the law, and would certainly not have been deterred by stronger gun laws any more than he was reluctant to violate laws prohibiting murder in the first. There are people like that running around loose and the only thing a law abiding citizen can do is prepare to defend his own life. In this shooting, cops were on the scene within 90 seconds of receiving the first phone calls. In those 90 seconds, 10 people died outright, and another 71 were injured. Just 90 seconds is all it took for all that destruction and death. The cops were amazing in coming so quickly, but when seconds matter, you're on your own. When seconds are all that will determine whether you live or die, or whether you family suffers tragedy, the only viable option is to defend your own life."

The man smiled and said "Can I get your name and address? Do you have a business card?"

I reached for my wallet and took out one of my business cards as it has all the information he might need.
"Let me make this clear, I am talking with you in order to speak for folks who feel as I do, that we have a right to legitimate self defense. It is not my intention to promote myself or my business here. Disregard the business card as anything other than contact information, if you want to ask any questions or discuss the tragedy at hand. What I do, or who I am is irrelevant. It's about those who were victims of this horrific tragedy. And it is also about the right of citizens to lawful self defense against bad guys in our society. As such, I believe every law abiding citizen has the right to bear arms. As I said, more gun laws ain't the answer. Knee jerk reaction ain't the answer either. The only option a citizen has, in those few seconds when their life is hanging in the balance, is to defend their own life. They ought have a right to do so."

We shook hands, and he stated he had much to do and need to be running along and I asked him; "Who do you write for?"
He smiled broadly, while stuffing my business card into his pocket. "I write for USA Today!"

I thanked him and rejoined Keens in the Jeep to continue our adventure.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Wolfstanus

If only my coworkers were like this reporter. Most of my coworkers want guns banned. Those who oc often get treated pretty badly from the front end girls. To the point it's very rare to see anybody oc much less see a cc person. I look for cc. I try and divert them to photo so I can ring them up. If given problems I give them a discount for the trouble. But sadly their ignorance drives such people away. Probably why MU store is often in the news for being robed.

Bellum_Intus

If only my coworkers were like this reporter. Most of my coworkers want guns banned. Those who oc often get treated pretty badly from the front end girls. To the point it's very rare to see anybody oc much less see a cc person. I look for cc. I try and divert them to photo so I can ring them up. If given problems I give them a discount for the trouble. But sadly their ignorance drives such people away. Probably why MU store is often in the news for being robed.

Where do you work?

--Rob

Wolfstanus

Walgreens n. circle galley.

"A hive of scum and villany..."

Also policy states I can't have a firearm on me. But says nothing that I am aware of that a customer can't have one. I have sorta kinda trained the girls these past 5 years to pretty much keep opinions to themselfs about people who carry. Also it's not posted. But they tend to give attitude.

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

Walgreens n. circle galley.

"A hive of scum and villany..."

Wow.. I pass that store quite a bit... when i'm on town, I OC at the Shell across the street and OC at the McDonalds next to it.. maybe I should stop in and buy some toilet paper at Walgreens sometime..

--Rob

ColoradoFlyer

Thank you M for promoting our position and being a spokesman to a paper. I hope this makes it into a story on USA, and we are able to further our case for the people of Colorado and other states. I was recently in Chicago and the Mayor Rahm Emmanual keeps the city of Chicago under very strict gun control policies, a continued furtherance of the great Mayor Daley, and it is not getting him anywhere as Chicago has one of the worst major crimes problems and violent murder with handguns by the gangs that control many portions of Chicago that it is not safe to travel in other than the best places of the city. Strict gun control does not work there and if they changed their position more people would be able to be on the defensive position instead of just being under the control of the gangs that have guns and they continually shot and kill innocent people. Wake up world, allow us to defend ourselves and those around us.

Godspeed.

Bellum_Intus

Thank you M for promoting our position and being a spokesman to a paper. I hope this makes it into a story on USA, and we are able to further our case for the people of Colorado and other states. I was recently in Chicago and the Mayor Rahm Emmanual keeps the city of Chicago under very strict gun control policies, a continued furtherance of the great Mayor Daley, and it is not getting him anywhere as Chicago has one of the worst major crimes problems and violent murder with handguns by the gangs that control many portions of Chicago that it is not safe to travel in other than the best places of the city. Strict gun control does not work there and if they changed their position more people would be able to be on the defensive position instead of just being under the control of the gangs that have guns and they continually shot and kill innocent people. Wake up world, allow us to defend ourselves and those around us.

Godspeed.

I say we put Rahm and Michael in a padded room together... with a bad guy... oh.. no guns..

--Rob

PFC HALE

Way to represent MT! i also was hoping that the news would report something to this nature of that which you stated to the news guy.

M-Taliesin

Wow.. I pass that store quite a bit... when i'm on town, I OC at the Shell across the street and OC at the McDonalds next to it.. maybe I should stop in and buy some toilet paper at Walgreens sometime..

--Rob

Howdy Rob!
Better yet... stop in and buy some nuts. They have nice nuts there. Take some home and you'll be able to say you have Nice Nuts!!!
Not only that, but be in a position to prove it by showing them the container!!!

20120628_24.jpg

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

LoneEchoWolf

Howdy Rob!
Better yet... stop in and buy some nuts. They have nice nuts there. Take some home and you'll be able to say you have Nice Nuts!!!
Not only that, but be in a position to prove it by showing them the container!!!

View attachment 8900

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

HAHA nice, found a new place to find them i see, Awesome! side note, sorry i wasnt able to hit you up today while i was in Aurora M, was at the Memorial all day pretty much, hopefully next time im in the area ill have extra time to hang out. Was a very much needed day. very proud to be born and raised in Colorado!

Bellum_Intus

Well it is his thread in his defense lol. to "bring it back around to topic" hope to see some good press around right now we can really use it, and i cant think of a better advocate to interview than M!

Indeed.. I tend to say things like "Rahm is a moron" and "Obama is a Marxist" .. not good press :p .. eh.. I could probably clean up if pressed though haha..

--Rob

pfries

Some form of article is out

Some form of article is out but as always ....missed the mark IMHO

"Mel Edington, with Open Carry Colorado, carries his .45-caliber Rock Island Armory 1911 holstered on his right hip and says guns are simply tools that are sometimes abused.
Edington, a bounty hunter and process server, says he would have stepped up against the shooter.

"I would have tried to put a bullet in that guy," he says."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-07-22/aurora-gun-control-debate/56419042/1

Bellum_Intus

Some form of article is out but as always ....missed the mark IMHO

"Mel Edington, with Open Carry Colorado, carries his .45-caliber Rock Island Armory 1911 holstered on his right hip and says guns are simply tools that are sometimes abused.
Edington, a bounty hunter and process server, says he would have stepped up against the shooter.

"I would have tried to put a bullet in that guy," he says."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-07-22/aurora-gun-control-debate/56419042/1

Figures.... he'd pull the ONE statement that sounded a bit.. 'offensive' .. and include that.. nice one..

--Rob