Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: How To Transfer A Handgun in VA

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7

    How To Transfer A Handgun in VA

    My Fiance' just bought me a SIG P250 for my birthday.
    She bought it with her credit card, filled out all of the paperwork in her name, etc. So its essentially her weapon.
    I have handled many weapons before but this is my first time owning one.
    I do plan on getting my concealed carry soon.
    Is there anything we need to do to get it in my name?
    Anything we need to do in general for me to use it legally?
    How do we go about this in the state of Virginia?

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyshaw View Post
    My Fiance' just bought me a SIG P250 for my birthday.
    She bought it with her credit card, filled out all of the paperwork in her name, etc. So its essentially her weapon.
    I have handled many weapons before but this is my first time owning one.
    I do plan on getting my concealed carry soon.
    Is there anything we need to do to get it in my name?
    Anything we need to do in general for me to use it legally?
    How do we go about this in the state of Virginia?
    There is no gun registration in Virginia. As long as she bought it and kept it a while as hers, (Not a straw purchase) she can give it or sell it to you with no paperwork. It is NOT in anyone's name.

    Get some training if it's your first one.

    If you get your CHP....keep it to yourself.

    As long as you're 18 years old, nothing else to do. Join VCDL, Open Carry, don't go North of Ashland and come to one of the monthly/weekly get togethers.

    That pretty well covers it!

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Oh....Welcome to the site!

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran Nelson_Muntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697
    protocol requires that you say thank you to your fiance!

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    How many rounds of ammunition did she buy you to go with the gun?

    It is generally recommended that you run 300-400 rounds through any new semi-auto pistol to determine reliability, provide adequate break-in, and to sight in the gun. Then there is the question of is it picky or will it eat whatever you feed it with boring but accurate consistency.

    For great CHP training and one-on-one instruction, you could do worse than to contact Jim Reynolds at http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    --Edited by Moderator--
    ..
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-22-2012 at 07:40 PM.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Another welcome to OCDO. Happy birthday.

    Now hie yourself over to www.vcdl.org and at least sign up for the VA-ALERT electronic newsletter, but preferably join - either on line or at the gun show you go to in order to look at obtaining extra magazines, a decent gun belt, holster, magazine carriers, and more ammo (even if it is 9mm Europellet).

    What? You say you cannot get more ammo because you don't have any to begin worth? You do know WalMart has locations that are open 24 hours, and where they are, right? Do not believe the folks that tell you they stop selling ammo at some time earlier than when you show up - they are just trying to avoid the lonely hike to the sporting goods counter and trying to figure out why there are boxes and boxes of 9MM but not one marked Nine Millimeter that you are asking for.

    Your fiance` seems like a nice person to have gifted you your very first handgun.

    Finally - where are you folks from? I'm just guessing that you have not been in Virginia for very long. But thanks for chosing Virginia to settle in.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7
    Thanks everyone!
    I have lived in Virginia all of my life. I live in Lorton, VA about 15 miles south of DC.
    I havent gotten any ammo yet, she bought the weapon on Ft. Belvoir Army Base and they would not sell her ammo on the same day she bought the weapon.
    We just haven't gotten the chance to go out and purchase any.
    But we'll have plenty of time this weekend.
    I have dealt with and handled firearms quite frequently since I was 18 or so. This is just my first time owning a weapon.
    So just to get this straight. Even though her name is on the ATF form, and her name was sent to the police informing them that she bought the weapon, the fact that she placed it in my hands and said 'Happy Birthday, this is yours." is enough? I won't have any problems when I go to get my concealed carry? I won't have any issues if a police officer (for some reason) wants to find out info on my handgun?

    Sorry, just being cautious.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyshaw View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    I have lived in Virginia all of my life. I live in Lorton, VA about 15 miles south of DC.
    I havent gotten any ammo yet, she bought the weapon on Ft. Belvoir Army Base and they would not sell her ammo on the same day she bought the weapon.
    We just haven't gotten the chance to go out and purchase any.
    But we'll have plenty of time this weekend.
    I have dealt with and handled firearms quite frequently since I was 18 or so. This is just my first time owning a weapon.
    So just to get this straight. Even though her name is on the ATF form, and her name was sent to the police informing them that she bought the weapon, the fact that she placed it in my hands and said 'Happy Birthday, this is yours." is enough? I won't have any problems when I go to get my concealed carry? I won't have any issues if a police officer (for some reason) wants to find out info on my handgun?

    Sorry, just being cautious.

    Based on my recent purchase experience, I do not think that anyones name is attached to any particular firearm in any database. She filled out a background check form but no state or federal agency knows what she bought or even IF she bought. Remember the background check happens BEFORE the purchase. She could have been approved but decided NOT to purchase.

    The only entity that really can tie an owner to a gun is the manufacturer when you register the warranty, and that is only the original owner.

    If someone thinks this is incorrect, please let me know.

  10. #10
    Regular Member BillB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyshaw View Post
    I havent gotten any ammo yet, she bought the weapon on Ft. Belvoir Army Base and they would not sell her ammo on the same day she bought the weapon.
    I was not aware that Ft. Belvoir had a place that sold firearms. Where did she get it? I'm retired military and would like to check out what they have and pricing.

  11. #11
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    We will be happy to assist with your training needs.

    In fact, I will be teaching a class next week at the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly - www.proactiveshooters.com
    Last edited by ProShooter; 07-22-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyshaw View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    So just to get this straight. Even though her name is on the ATF form, and her name was sent to the police informing them that she bought the weapon, the fact that she placed it in my hands and said 'Happy Birthday, this is yours." is enough? I won't have any problems when I go to get my concealed carry? I won't have any issues if a police officer (for some reason) wants to find out info on my handgun?
    Yes, that's all there is to it. Her name is not attached to the gun in any police records, nor any (legal) government database at all. The only place her name and that gun are link is on the piece of paper she filled out, ATF Form 4473, and the dealer's "bound book" (record of acquisitions and dispositions, which is probably on a computer), both of which stay in the dealer's possession and are not available to police.

    The only information a police officer can find out on your gun is if it's been reported stolen. That's it.

    Trust us, it's really not "in her name", and there's nothing you can do to put it "in your name". Literally nothing, because there simply is no mechanism to attach your name to the gun.

    When she filled out the 4473, the very first questions it asks is, "Are you the actual buyer/transferee of the firearm(s) listed on this form?" In the instructions, it explains that if you're buying it as a bona fide gift for a third party, then you are the actual purchaser. This is perfectly legal.

    http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Ft. Belvor gun shop

    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    I was not aware that Ft. Belvoir had a place that sold firearms. Where did she get it? I'm retired military and would like to check out what they have and pricing.
    http://www.belvoir.army.mil/news/New...erFirearms.asp
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member mk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    548
    nm.
    Last edited by mk4; 07-22-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: redundant to prior posts.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

  15. #15
    Regular Member BillB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    201
    Thanks, it's been more than a year since I've been on Ft. Belvoir. I'll have to check that exchange gun shop out soon.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Thanks, it's been more than a year since I've been on Ft. Belvoir. I'll have to check that exchange gun shop out soon.
    It's at the "Home And Garden Center" over off of Gunston Rd. Behind what looks like a big gym.

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Glad you got your gun Cory...

    Sorry to hear you're North of Ashland, but there is a cure for that...
    And real sorry you still want the CHP.

    Give your Girl friend a big hug. The good one's are hard to find!

  18. #18
    Regular Member BillB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyshaw View Post
    It's at the "Home And Garden Center" over off of Gunston Rd. Behind what looks like a big gym.
    Thanks, I know where that is.

    Also welcome! I think a little elucidation on Peter's comments about being north of Ashland and CHPs is in order. Peter believes Yankees have ruined Virginia north of Ashland and he will not venture out north of there. He also believes CHPs are evil because they provide perks to CHP holders not available to others and that these perks lead CHP holders to think they are special. Peter also believes CHPs will delay or perhaps even prevent Virgina from ever becoming a constitutional carry state.

    Peter, did I get it right?

  19. #19
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Thanks, I know where that is.

    Also welcome! I think a little elucidation on Peter's comments about being north of Ashland and CHPs is in order. Peter believes Yankees have ruined Virginia north of Ashland and he will not venture out north of there. He also believes CHPs are evil because they provide perks to CHP holders not available to others and that these perks lead CHP holders to think they are special. Peter also believes CHPs will delay or perhaps even prevent Virgina from ever becoming a constitutional carry state.

    Peter, did I get it right?
    Close enough. It's a very flexible philosophy that can be reconfigured to poke good natured fun at certain people,
    but the core values are correct.

    I was gonna let him scratch his head for a while. He seemed smart enough that sooner or later he'd figure out I was yanking his chain.

    It's like the avatar. Lots of people want to know what's under that cannon.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-22-2012 at 10:43 PM.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyshaw View Post
    ....

    So just to get this straight. Even though her name is on the ATF form, and her name was sent to the police informing them that she bought the weapon,
    WHAT??!?? Who sent her name to what police for what reason based on what authorization? That requires four (4) separate answers, please.

    the fact that she placed it in my hands and said 'Happy Birthday, this is yours." is enough?
    Aint life grand? That's it.

    I won't have any problems when I go to get my concealed carry?
    You have looked at the Code of Virginia section that deals with CHPs? It liasts every reason that they can use to deny your application. If you can say each of the items does not apply to you then you should ge your CHP.

    Please use the advanced search function to see about problems with some Clerks asking for/demanding extra-legal information, materials, or funds. The effort of folks here and in VCDL has been to refuse to comply with extra-legal shennanigans and hold the Clerks to account for trying to do that.

    I won't have any issues if a police officer (for some reason) wants to find out info on my handgun?
    Seems to me that if a LEO wants to "find out info on your gun" he can ask you if you will let him read the various roll engravings. Rugers are infamous for being almost a complete bookmobile's worth of reading. However, it is the considered opinion of the assembled that no LEO has any need to find out info about your handgun unless he is seizing it as evidence of a crime or is taking a report of a stolen or lost item. Since there is no state registry he has no business "calling it in" to see if it stolen - unless he has seized you and your handgun for Probable Cause of stealing/possessing stolen property.

    Sorry, just being cautious.
    Caution is good. Information and education can dispel unwarranted caution.

    Lorton is not DC, and it sure is not New Yawk City. As much as folks in that part of the Commonwealth may wish otherwise it is still part of Virginia and Virginians should not be tolerating the intrusive, invasive, unconstitutional BS that goes on in those foreign places. I do not know about anybody else but it is my intent to convert you to the side of righteousness and the refusal to allow the trampling of your rights. From the questions you posed I may have a long way to go.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  21. #21
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    WHAT??!?? Who sent her name to what police for what reason based on what authorization? That requires four (4) separate answers, please.
    Yeah, this caught my eye as well. What did you see or hear that would lead you to believe that any information was being transferred to any police organization? Each of those four questions are critical.

    TFred

  22. #22
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    There is no gun registration in Virginia. As long as she bought it and kept it a while as hers, (Not a straw purchase) she can give it or sell it to you with no paperwork. It is NOT in anyone's name.

    Get some training if it's your first one.

    If you get your CHP....keep it to yourself.

    As long as you're 18 years old, nothing else to do. Join VCDL, Open Carry, don't go North of Ashland and come to one of the monthly/weekly get togethers.

    That pretty well covers it!
    Hey, hey, hey. There are some true Virginians up here, believe it or not.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  23. #23
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    WHAT??!?? Who sent her name to what police for what reason based on what authorization? That requires four (4) separate answers, please.



    Aint life grand? That's it.



    You have looked at the Code of Virginia section that deals with CHPs? It liasts every reason that they can use to deny your application. If you can say each of the items does not apply to you then you should ge your CHP.

    Please use the advanced search function to see about problems with some Clerks asking for/demanding extra-legal information, materials, or funds. The effort of folks here and in VCDL has been to refuse to comply with extra-legal shennanigans and hold the Clerks to account for trying to do that.



    Seems to me that if a LEO wants to "find out info on your gun" he can ask you if you will let him read the various roll engravings. Rugers are infamous for being almost a complete bookmobile's worth of reading. However, it is the considered opinion of the assembled that no LEO has any need to find out info about your handgun unless he is seizing it as evidence of a crime or is taking a report of a stolen or lost item. Since there is no state registry he has no business "calling it in" to see if it stolen - unless he has seized you and your handgun for Probable Cause of stealing/possessing stolen property.



    Caution is good. Information and education can dispel unwarranted caution.

    Lorton is not DC, and it sure is not New Yawk City. As much as somefolks in that part of the Commonwealth may wish otherwise it is still part of Virginia and [B]Virginians should not be tolerating the intrusive, invasive, unconstitutional BS that goes on in those foreign places.[B] I do not know about anybody else but it is my intent to convert you to the side of righteousness and the refusal to allow the trampling of your rights. From the questions you posed I may have a long way to go.

    stay safe.
    Permit me to have added the word "some".

    While to many it may seem that skidmark is having a little tongue-in-cheek fun with the subject matter in his final paragraph, I can assure you good people that there is a serious measure of truth to his statement. Having lived up in this part of the state my entire life, I have seen a whole lot of change take place and for the most part, the flavor and essence of what it means to be a Virginian has pretty much vanished in the more close-in areas. As you move away from the Virginia side of DC, you begin to pick it up again, but the fact remains that the heavily populated counties of Fairfax and Loudoun have been lost to folks from other parts of the nation and the world. This is an ominous concern to me and others like me as we see an almost looking-down-their-nose facade with many of them when discussing Virginia and the South. THIS is something that really gets to me.

    So you good people below Ashland... do remember you have some brethren up here who hold dear to heart what it means to be a Virginian.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post

    So you good people below Ashland... do remember you have some brethren up here who hold dear to heart what it means to be a Virginian.
    That is why we keep the road open and w/o check points..................for now.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  25. #25
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That is why we keep the road open and w/o check points..................for now.
    And try to keep them from being hit by friendly fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •