• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How To Transfer A Handgun in VA

coreyshaw

My Fiance' just bought me a SIG P250 for my birthday.
She bought it with her credit card, filled out all of the paperwork in her name, etc. So its essentially her weapon.
I have handled many weapons before but this is my first time owning one.
I do plan on getting my concealed carry soon.
Is there anything we need to do to get it in my name?
Anything we need to do in general for me to use it legally?
How do we go about this in the state of Virginia?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My Fiance' just bought me a SIG P250 for my birthday.
She bought it with her credit card, filled out all of the paperwork in her name, etc. So its essentially her weapon.
I have handled many weapons before but this is my first time owning one.
I do plan on getting my concealed carry soon.
Is there anything we need to do to get it in my name?
Anything we need to do in general for me to use it legally?
How do we go about this in the state of Virginia?

There is no gun registration in Virginia. As long as she bought it and kept it a while as hers, (Not a straw purchase) she can give it or sell it to you with no paperwork. It is NOT in anyone's name.

Get some training if it's your first one.

If you get your CHP....keep it to yourself.

As long as you're 18 years old, nothing else to do. Join VCDL, Open Carry, don't go North of Ashland and come to one of the monthly/weekly get togethers.

That pretty well covers it!:dude:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How many rounds of ammunition did she buy you to go with the gun? :p

It is generally recommended that you run 300-400 rounds through any new semi-auto pistol to determine reliability, provide adequate break-in, and to sight in the gun. Then there is the question of is it picky or will it eat whatever you feed it with boring but accurate consistency.

For great CHP training and one-on-one instruction, you could do worse than to contact Jim Reynolds at http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcome to OCDO. Happy birthday.

Now hie yourself over to www.vcdl.org and at least sign up for the VA-ALERT electronic newsletter, but preferably join - either on line or at the gun show you go to in order to look at obtaining extra magazines, a decent gun belt, holster, magazine carriers, and more ammo (even if it is 9mm Europellet).

What? You say you cannot get more ammo because you don't have any to begin worth? You do know WalMart has locations that are open 24 hours, and where they are, right? Do not believe the folks that tell you they stop selling ammo at some time earlier than when you show up - they are just trying to avoid the lonely hike to the sporting goods counter and trying to figure out why there are boxes and boxes of 9MM but not one marked Nine Millimeter that you are asking for.:shocker::banghead:

Your fiance` seems like a nice person to have gifted you your very first handgun.

Finally - where are you folks from? I'm just guessing that you have not been in Virginia for very long. But thanks for chosing Virginia to settle in.

stay safe.

coreyshaw

Thanks everyone!
I have lived in Virginia all of my life. I live in Lorton, VA about 15 miles south of DC.
I havent gotten any ammo yet, she bought the weapon on Ft. Belvoir Army Base and they would not sell her ammo on the same day she bought the weapon.
We just haven't gotten the chance to go out and purchase any.
But we'll have plenty of time this weekend. :p
I have dealt with and handled firearms quite frequently since I was 18 or so. This is just my first time owning a weapon.
So just to get this straight. Even though her name is on the ATF form, and her name was sent to the police informing them that she bought the weapon, the fact that she placed it in my hands and said 'Happy Birthday, this is yours." is enough? I won't have any problems when I go to get my concealed carry? I won't have any issues if a police officer (for some reason) wants to find out info on my handgun?

Sorry, just being cautious.

gearup

Thanks everyone!
I have lived in Virginia all of my life. I live in Lorton, VA about 15 miles south of DC.
I havent gotten any ammo yet, she bought the weapon on Ft. Belvoir Army Base and they would not sell her ammo on the same day she bought the weapon.
We just haven't gotten the chance to go out and purchase any.
But we'll have plenty of time this weekend. :p
I have dealt with and handled firearms quite frequently since I was 18 or so. This is just my first time owning a weapon.
So just to get this straight. Even though her name is on the ATF form, and her name was sent to the police informing them that she bought the weapon, the fact that she placed it in my hands and said 'Happy Birthday, this is yours." is enough? I won't have any problems when I go to get my concealed carry? I won't have any issues if a police officer (for some reason) wants to find out info on my handgun?

Based on my recent purchase experience, I do not think that anyones name is attached to any particular firearm in any database. She filled out a background check form but no state or federal agency knows what she bought or even IF she bought. Remember the background check happens BEFORE the purchase. She could have been approved but decided NOT to purchase.

The only entity that really can tie an owner to a gun is the manufacturer when you register the warranty, and that is only the original owner.

If someone thinks this is incorrect, please let me know.

BillB

I was not aware that Ft. Belvoir had a place that sold firearms. Where did she get it? I'm retired military and would like to check out what they have and pricing.

KBCraig

Thanks everyone!
Yes, that's all there is to it. Her name is not attached to the gun in any police records, nor any (legal) government database at all. The only place her name and that gun are link is on the piece of paper she filled out, ATF Form 4473, and the dealer's "bound book" (record of acquisitions and dispositions, which is probably on a computer), both of which stay in the dealer's possession and are not available to police.

The only information a police officer can find out on your gun is if it's been reported stolen. That's it.

Trust us, it's really not "in her name", and there's nothing you can do to put it "in your name". Literally nothing, because there simply is no mechanism to attach your name to the gun.

When she filled out the 4473, the very first questions it asks is, "Are you the actual buyer/transferee of the firearm(s) listed on this form?" In the instructions, it explains that if you're buying it as a bona fide gift for a third party, then you are the actual purchaser. This is perfectly legal.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Glad you got your gun Cory...

Sorry to hear you're North of Ashland, but there is a cure for that...
And real sorry you still want the CHP.

Give your Girl friend a big hug. The good one's are hard to find!

BillB

It's at the "Home And Garden Center" over off of Gunston Rd. Behind what looks like a big gym.

Thanks, I know where that is.

Also welcome! I think a little elucidation on Peter's comments about being north of Ashland and CHPs is in order. Peter believes Yankees have ruined Virginia north of Ashland and he will not venture out north of there. He also believes CHPs are evil because they provide perks to CHP holders not available to others and that these perks lead CHP holders to think they are special. Peter also believes CHPs will delay or perhaps even prevent Virgina from ever becoming a constitutional carry state.

Peter, did I get it right? :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks, I know where that is.

Also welcome! I think a little elucidation on Peter's comments about being north of Ashland and CHPs is in order. Peter believes Yankees have ruined Virginia north of Ashland and he will not venture out north of there. He also believes CHPs are evil because they provide perks to CHP holders not available to others and that these perks lead CHP holders to think they are special. Peter also believes CHPs will delay or perhaps even prevent Virgina from ever becoming a constitutional carry state.

Peter, did I get it right? :D

Close enough. It's a very flexible philosophy that can be reconfigured to poke good natured fun at certain people,:lol:
but the core values are correct.

I was gonna let him scratch his head for a while. He seemed smart enough that sooner or later he'd figure out I was yanking his chain.

It's like the avatar. Lots of people want to know what's under that cannon.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

So just to get this straight. Even though her name is on the ATF form, and her name was sent to the police informing them that she bought the weapon,

WHAT??!?? Who sent her name to what police for what reason based on what authorization? That requires four (4) separate answers, please.

the fact that she placed it in my hands and said 'Happy Birthday, this is yours." is enough?

Aint life grand? That's it.

I won't have any problems when I go to get my concealed carry?

You have looked at the Code of Virginia section that deals with CHPs? It liasts every reason that they can use to deny your application. If you can say each of the items does not apply to you then you should ge your CHP.

Please use the advanced search function to see about problems with some Clerks asking for/demanding extra-legal information, materials, or funds. The effort of folks here and in VCDL has been to refuse to comply with extra-legal shennanigans and hold the Clerks to account for trying to do that.

I won't have any issues if a police officer (for some reason) wants to find out info on my handgun?

Seems to me that if a LEO wants to "find out info on your gun" he can ask you if you will let him read the various roll engravings. Rugers are infamous for being almost a complete bookmobile's worth of reading.:p However, it is the considered opinion of the assembled that no LEO has any need to find out info about your handgun unless he is seizing it as evidence of a crime or is taking a report of a stolen or lost item. Since there is no state registry he has no business "calling it in" to see if it stolen - unless he has seized you and your handgun for Probable Cause of stealing/possessing stolen property.

Caution is good. Information and education can dispel unwarranted caution.

Lorton is not DC, and it sure is not New Yawk City. As much as folks in that part of the Commonwealth may wish otherwise it is still part of Virginia and Virginians should not be tolerating the intrusive, invasive, unconstitutional BS that goes on in those foreign places. I do not know about anybody else but it is my intent to convert you to the side of righteousness and the refusal to allow the trampling of your rights. From the questions you posed I may have a long way to go.:(

stay safe.