• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How To Transfer A Handgun in VA

TFred

WHAT??!?? Who sent her name to what police for what reason based on what authorization? That requires four (4) separate answers, please.
Yeah, this caught my eye as well. What did you see or hear that would lead you to believe that any information was being transferred to any police organization? Each of those four questions are critical.

TFred

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There is no gun registration in Virginia. As long as she bought it and kept it a while as hers, (Not a straw purchase) she can give it or sell it to you with no paperwork. It is NOT in anyone's name.

Get some training if it's your first one.

If you get your CHP....keep it to yourself.

As long as you're 18 years old, nothing else to do. Join VCDL, Open Carry, don't go North of Ashland and come to one of the monthly/weekly get togethers.

That pretty well covers it!:dude:

Hey, hey, hey. There are some true Virginians up here, believe it or not.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
WHAT??!?? Who sent her name to what police for what reason based on what authorization? That requires four (4) separate answers, please.

Aint life grand? That's it.

You have looked at the Code of Virginia section that deals with CHPs? It liasts every reason that they can use to deny your application. If you can say each of the items does not apply to you then you should ge your CHP.

Please use the advanced search function to see about problems with some Clerks asking for/demanding extra-legal information, materials, or funds. The effort of folks here and in VCDL has been to refuse to comply with extra-legal shennanigans and hold the Clerks to account for trying to do that.

Seems to me that if a LEO wants to "find out info on your gun" he can ask you if you will let him read the various roll engravings. Rugers are infamous for being almost a complete bookmobile's worth of reading.:p However, it is the considered opinion of the assembled that no LEO has any need to find out info about your handgun unless he is seizing it as evidence of a crime or is taking a report of a stolen or lost item. Since there is no state registry he has no business "calling it in" to see if it stolen - unless he has seized you and your handgun for Probable Cause of stealing/possessing stolen property.

Caution is good. Information and education can dispel unwarranted caution.

Lorton is not DC, and it sure is not New Yawk City. As much as somefolks in that part of the Commonwealth may wish otherwise it is still part of Virginia and Virginians should not be tolerating the intrusive, invasive, unconstitutional BS that goes on in those foreign places. I do not know about anybody else but it is my intent to convert you to the side of righteousness and the refusal to allow the trampling of your rights. From the questions you posed I may have a long way to go.:(

stay safe.

Permit me to have added the word "some".

While to many it may seem that skidmark is having a little tongue-in-cheek fun with the subject matter in his final paragraph, I can assure you good people that there is a serious measure of truth to his statement. Having lived up in this part of the state my entire life, I have seen a whole lot of change take place and for the most part, the flavor and essence of what it means to be a Virginian has pretty much vanished in the more close-in areas. As you move away from the Virginia side of DC, you begin to pick it up again, but the fact remains that the heavily populated counties of Fairfax and Loudoun have been lost to folks from other parts of the nation and the world. This is an ominous concern to me and others like me as we see an almost looking-down-their-nose facade with many of them when discussing Virginia and the South. THIS is something that really gets to me.

So you good people below Ashland... do remember you have some brethren up here who hold dear to heart what it means to be a Virginian.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The password remains "freedom" - your welcome to take some seeds back with you, it grows well when properly attended.

Be careful NOVAC** doesn't catch you!

§ 3.2-804. Prohibited acts; noxious seeds.

No person North of Ashland shall violate any provisions of this chapter or any regulation adopted hereunder.

No person shall move, transport, deliver, ship, or offer for shipment into or within NOVA any noxious weed or seed, or part thereof, without first obtaining a permit from the Commissioner. Such permit shall be issued only after it has been determined that the noxious weed or seed doesn't contain freedom or anything not generally present already or it is for scientific purposes subject to prescribed safeguards.

(1970, c. 175, § 3.1-296.16; 2008, c. 860.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Be careful NOVAC** doesn't catch you!

§ 3.2-804. Prohibited acts; noxious seeds.

No person North of Ashland shall violate any provisions of this chapter or any regulation adopted hereunder.

No person shall move, transport, deliver, ship, or offer for shipment into or within NOVA any noxious weed or seed, or part thereof, without first obtaining a permit from the Commissioner. Such permit shall be issued only after it has been determined that the noxious weed or seed doesn't contain freedom or anything not generally present already or it is for scientific purposes subject to prescribed safeguards.

(1970, c. 175, § 3.1-296.16; 2008, c. 860.)

Gosh darnit - I missed the as amended part. Guess freedom still isn't free, not even the seeds of it.

CHAPTER 860 An Act to amend and reenact §§ 2.2-203.3 and 15.2-902 of the Code of Virginia; to amend the Code of Virginia by adding a title numbered 3.2, containing Subtitle I, consisting of chapters numbered 1 through 10, containing sections numbered 3.2-100 through 3.2-1011, Subtitle II, consisting of chapters numbered 11 through 31, containing sections numbered 3.2-1100 through 3.2-3111, Subtitle III, consisting of chapters numbered 32 through 50, containing sections numbered 3.2-3200 through 3.2-5000, Subtitle IV, consisting of chapters numbered 51 through 58, containing sections numbered 3.2-5100 through 3.2-5820, and Subtitle V, consisting of chapters numbered 59 through 65, containing sections numbered 3.2-5900 through 3.2-6590, and by adding in Chapter 2 of Title 10.1 an article numbered 4, consisting of sections numbered 10.1-217.1 through 10.1-217.6; and to repeal Title 3.1 (§§ 3.1-1 through 3.1-1114.1) and Article 3.1 (§§ 10.1-559.1 through 10.1-559.11) of Chapter 5 of Title 10.1 of the Code of Virginia, relating to revising and recodifying the laws pertaining to Agriculture, Animal Care, and Food.

zoom6zoom

What did you see or hear that would lead you to believe that any information was being transferred to any police organization?
A
All those cop shows, especially the forensic "procedurals" love to make people think that all this stuff is in a big government database. Hey, it was in a TV show, it must be true.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
All this talk about original Virginians left behind enemy lines is distracting from the important matter of getting answers to these questions:
Who sent her name to what police for what reason based on what authorization? That requires four (4) separate answers, please.

Inquiring minds demand to know.*

stay safe.

* Yeah, I know - demand in one hand and ... in the other, etc., etc.

scouser

Lorton is not DC, and it sure is not New Yawk City. As much as folks in that part of the Commonwealth may wish otherwise it is still part of Virginia and Virginians should not be tolerating the intrusive, invasive, unconstitutional BS that goes on in those foreign places. I do not know about anybody else but it is my intent to convert you to the side of righteousness and the refusal to allow the trampling of your rights. From the questions you posed I may have a long way to go.:(

stay safe.

While to many it may seem that skidmark is having a little tongue-in-cheek fun with the subject matter in his final paragraph, I can assure you good people that there is a serious measure of truth to his statement. Having lived up in this part of the state my entire life, I have seen a whole lot of change take place and for the most part, the flavor and essence of what it means to be a Virginian has pretty much vanished in the more close-in areas. As you move away from the Virginia side of DC, you begin to pick it up again, but the fact remains that the heavily populated counties of Fairfax and Loudoun have been lost to folks from other parts of the nation and the world. This is an ominous concern to me and others like me as we see an almost looking-down-their-nose facade with many of them when discussing Virginia and the South. THIS is something that really gets to me.

So you good people below Ashland... do remember you have some brethren up here who hold dear to heart what it means to be a Virginian.

Believe me SB I feel your pain. As an exiled Brit now enjoying freedom in VA, I've seen a huge change in my homeland not just in the 11 or so years since I left, but also in the previous decade before that too. Allowing outsiders to dictate how 'your' home should be 'governed' should never be allowed to happen, whether it's New Yorkers wanting to bring their restrictions to VA, or Muslims wanting to turn parts of the UK over to Sharia law, it's wrong and has to be resisted.