• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forum user experience needed

stainless1911

Banned
Never happened.

I could still post if I chose. At the time, I was offered to stay on the forums, despite being banned as a member, but declined. I should have stayed on. At the time, I was one of the members with the highest post count, as I was really trying to do my part in making the new forum succeed.

Orion

Michigander - Thanks for your comments. I have considered going to another office but I refuse to allow my actions to be dictated by others without just cause. I do occasionally CC, but I prefer to OC and understand that I will occasionally be confronted about it. I have been many times by other citizens, but so far anyone in any position of authority has not yet. I am looking for advice on handling situations like these because I intend to continue OC'ing and until I deal with things like these I will not get the experience needed to be able to handle them with confidence.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i tried to go to this location today but it was closed for some sort of facility problem. i went to the one in troy on e longlake instead. no issues there. there was not security guard there. i was a little disappointed because i wanted to OC at the clinton location.

TheQ

Never happened.

I could still post if I chose. At the time, I was offered to stay on the forums, despite being banned as a member, but declined. I should have stayed on. At the time, I was one of the members with the highest post count, as I was really trying to do my part in making the new forum succeed.

FWIW, you are presently banned from the Forum and have been since before I took office.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Orion said:
the Security guard questioned me as to whether I was licensed, and I told him I was.
I'm not completely sure of MI law, but in many states it's illegal to be in a taxpayer-owned building while exercising certain civil rights unless one has a permission slip from the gov't.
Since laws stop crime, anyone without a license would be stopped by the magical force field at the door, right?

that there were a large number of children in attendance and he didn't want them to get ahold of it or have it go off.
Good thing he'll never carry, if he'd be that careless with his pistol.
I take it he wasn't armed? :rolleyes: He certainly hasn't had any safety training.

He then requested that I stand next to him until someone could address my question
"You're welcome to be my personal bodyguard while I'm here. Awful friendly of you. Come along."
[then walk away]

stainless1911

Banned
FWIW, you are presently banned from the Forum and have been since before I took office.

No one ever told me that I was banned from the forums. At the time, I remember discussing it with autosurgeon, and I could stay, or I could go. Since there was so much BS going on, politics, false accusations and such, I chose to go. I wasn't banned. Tell yourselves what you like.

Raggs

No one ever told me that I was banned from the forums. At the time, I remember discussing it with autosurgeon, and I could stay, or I could go. Since there was so much BS going on, politics, false accusations and such, I chose to go. I wasn't banned. Tell yourselves what you like.

You didn't fire me I quit!

Evil Creamsicle

This sub conversation is a personal matter and is of literally no use or importance to anyone, so please take it to PMs, I'd rather slam my balls in the oven door than read any more of this bickering.

Back OT:

I'm not completely sure of MI law, but in many states it's illegal to be in a taxpayer-owned building while exercising certain civil rights unless one has a permission slip from the gov't.
Since laws stop crime, anyone without a license would be stopped by the magical force field at the door, right?

Good thing he'll never carry, if he'd be that careless with his pistol.
I take it he wasn't armed? :rolleyes: He certainly hasn't had any safety training.

"You're welcome to be my personal bodyguard while I'm here. Awful friendly of you. Come along."
[then walk away]

I think the magical taxpayer barrier only exists when it comes to federally owned/funded buildings. Secretary of State is a state funded building, which is not listed as a PFZ as far as I am aware, so preemption would apply. I've OCed at SOS offices before without issue.

I have seen some with guards and some without... I'm not sure what the criteria is for them deciding where to put these guys.

As far as how to handle the situation, I think you [OP] did pretty well. He asked you to disarm, you politely refused. If he wants to follow you around, well, that's his prerogative, but I suppose you could always file a complaint with his supervisor saying that he offended you or that it was a misappropriation of tax dollars for you to have your own 'personal bodyguard'

scot623

I think the magical taxpayer barrier only exists when it comes to federally owned/funded buildings. Secretary of State is a state funded building, which is not listed as a PFZ as far as I am aware, so preemption would apply.

Preemption only applies to local units of government, not state agencies. SOS could ban firearms tomorrow and it would be completely legal.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

Preemption only applies to local units of government, not state agencies. SOS could ban firearms tomorrow and it would be completely legal.

True, I suppose its not really a local unit of government... so then they could ban guns.

So... does one office have the authority to ban guns at that office, do you think? For example, Secretary of State on the whole has not banned firearms, but one office decides they don't want to allow firearms in?

scot623

True, I suppose its not really a local unit of government... so then they could ban guns.

So... does one office have the authority to ban guns at that office, do you think? For example, Secretary of State on the whole has not banned firearms, but one office decides they don't want to allow firearms in?

I know of nothing that would stop a branch manager from banning firearms. At that point I would write to SOS in Lansing to get a written clarification that they do indeed allow branch managers to ban guns. After that, there really wouldn't be anything we could do about it.

I suppose we could sue the SOS since they are banning firearms outside of the law (28.425o and 750.234d). But that costs money and in the mean time the legislature could just amend the law and add them. SCOTUS has ruled banning firearms from buildings like the SOS is reasonable.

Last edited:

TheQ

is the SOS granted the authority to do that by law? or would the state legislature have to give them that authority first?

I tend to follow this theory. State Agencies only have the powers that their enabling statute gives them. Ergo, SoS can't ban guns unless someone shows me where it says in their enabling statute that they can.

People talk about "preemption" but it is simply not the correct term in this case.

stainless1911

Banned
I believe Ruth Johnson could ban them. (I'd prefer to be wrong)

Then why wouldn't she? Theres no way they are going to lose money, seeing this system is run like a mafia. Follow our rules that we make up, and give us your money, or we will charge you more money, and if you dont like it, we will make your life a living hell, and/or put you in a cage at gunpoint.