• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mental Health Treatment and Carry Permit

jkjeeper

First off, I would like to say hey and boy am I glad I found this forum! Anyways, I live in Memphis TN and have a question about applying for my Hand Gun Carry license. I was not sure where to put the thread so if it is in the wrong place, then mods please move it. I have grown up around guns, hunting, and everything you would expect from someone in the South who's family grew up in Mississippi. I have wanted to get my Hand Gun Permit for quite some time, and my fiance has shown interest in getting hers so now seems just as good a time as any. That way we can do the required safety course and all that at the same time. However here is my dillema.....

In Jan 2011 I checked myself in and was treated at a behavioral health center. I was admitted for and treated for Substance Abuse. Long story short, I am an alcoholic. I spent 10 days as an inpatient in their program, and then completed 60 days of outpatient treatment. I "graduated" if you will from the substance abuse program. I have been sober since Jan 20, 2011. While it is a daily battle for me I am very active in my sobriety. I speak at treatment centers, am part of a group that meets anonymously several times a week. I have NO criminal background at all. No arrests, no misdemeanors, no DUI's, NOTHING. However, I was treated as a patient at a mental health facility and see a psychiatrist every three months who tracks my progress, etc. She specializes in substance abuse and only works with people like me.

Will I have trouble getting my Tennessee Hand Gun Permit? In the literature I found online, it basically says that anyone who abuses alcohol or drugs cannot get one. It also states that if you have gotten a DUI that you have to wait a certain time period before you can be eligible. This confuses me. Again, I VOLUNTARILY entered a treatment program and was treated, will this affect my eligibility?

Thanks for your time

pfries

C.
(10) That the applicant is not an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance and the applicant has not been a patient in a rehabilitation program or hospitalized for alcohol or controlled substance abuse or addiction within ten (10) years from the date of application;

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1351

The fact that you sought treatment is great and do not give upon it. You will need to give it some time though.

Pat

jkjeeper

thanks

Thanks

I had seen that on the website but wanted some clarification to it. I have read alot online, and some of what I read seems to say that as long as the treatment was not court ordered there is no problem, but to me that statement reads that no matter what it is 10 years period. Can anyone confirm this? Also, if this is the case, would it be worth appealing?

Fallguy

You're problem is not the treatment. As you've read voluntary admission isn't a problem. However being addicted to alcohol is. Now what the State of TN considers "addicted to" I'm not sure. Of course I'm not sure how they could check this on someone either....